Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It is so hot in Columbia, my dog walked out the front door......

Options
northGAcock
northGAcock Posts: 15,164
And turned around and headed back in. I'll just hold it I guess.
Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    My big dog did the same!  But just lied down in the garage on the concrete and did not want to move. Oh, maybe it's because BOTH up and downstairs a/c units are out. Dang it's hot!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Funny. I think we can egg without lump here in Atlanta. How many days till fall?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • omigosh
    omigosh Posts: 17
    Options
    Mine too.  Columbia isnt hell but it's built on top of it! 

Irmo, SC  LBGE and MiniMax

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    We have a fan (in atlanta) in the bed room pointing directly at the dogs bed. And no, he's not a spoiled lap dog. But when he is uncomfortably hot and pacing and whining all night neither I or swmbo can sleep. Catering to his needs allows us some shut eye. Our 15 year old AC can't do more than 15 degrees below outside. So when it's 97...do the math.  
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I'm not in Columbia but it was so hot in Spartanburg today that walking from my back door to the egg( a ten step walk). Had me sweating bullets. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I did the same thing today. Lol
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    How many days till fall?
    Sadly, down here on the coast, Fall doesn't come until about mid November. So by my count, about 140 give or take a few until we even start to see some relief. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I only say this half jokingly but I'm thinking of getting one of those big misting fans for my patio like you see at the football games.  Maybe that would keep me cool. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I only say this half jokingly but I'm thinking of getting one of those big misting fans for my patio like you see at the football games.  Maybe that would keep me cool. 
    I'm trying to talk my wife into letting me roll Unit #1 into the living room and drafting it out of the fire place.  And I'm not kidding!!!!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    In South Carolina?  Suspect that you'll just be wetter and more miserable.  They work exceptionally well in a dry climate, but have never seen one where the humidity is high.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    PSA folks - dogs can suffer heat stroke just like us, keepem cool. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    In South Carolina?  Suspect that you'll just be wetter and more miserable.  They work exceptionally well in a dry climate, but have never seen one where the humidity is high.
    The misting fans do work, if your ok with getting wet. I'm guessing you're thinking about swamp coolers or port a coolers. Which, yes, don't do so well in the humidity. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    And yeah. It's hot as hell in Aiken too. Frigging sucks. But I'll be in Asheville for the weekend so life is good. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Swamp coolers are better than no coolers!  We use them in the plants. A cool breeze at least.  For you non Georgia folk, a plant is a factory. 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    It has been scorching here in Louisville, GA as well. My house has 12 foot ceilings and we have 4 central AC units working like crazy to keep us comfortable. GA Power loves me. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    All of our furry family are inside and comfy. If it's too hot for you then it's too hot for them. They're family.  Captain obvious here but, just like us hydration is a must so make sure to always have clean water available and change it regularly (it heats up crazy fast).   Our girl walked out with me to play ball and gave me the "you must be high as a kite if you think I want to work.  I'm going to bathroom and then I want back inside" look. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Here's some info on the misting fans....  The higher the relative humidity, the less cooling effect you will get. Those misting fans run on the concept of evaporative cooling. The mist hits your skin and the fan's forced air movement acts like your natural sweat reflex by cooling the skin. 

Back at my time in college football in south Mississippi, we tried several types of those fan systems with very little benefit. I'm sure @SGH will agree that the relative humidity is always hanging around 795% most days!!!  

In other words, if you are in the Deep South, you're just gonna get wet and sweaty and you'll be promoting mold and rot in your outdoor structures!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Jeepster47
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    The misting fans do work, if your ok with getting wet. I'm guessing you're thinking about swamp coolers or port a coolers. Which, yes, don't do so well in the humidity. 
    Not a swamp cooler, but an outdoor misting system like this:

With 10% humidity, they cool you down without leaving you feeling damp.  With 60% plus humidity, they work just like a shower ... at least for me they do.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    As awful as this may appear, we used an old galvanized wash tub filled with ice, placed on towels , over top of plastic sheeting with two oscillating fans running, was't the problem solver, but made the extreme discomfort not intolerable. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jeepster47
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Funny you should mention that ... my neighbor's air conditioning went out a couple of days ago.  It was miserably hot and we were talking about the good old days before the middle class folks had air conditioning.  Just what you mentioned was part of the discussion.

Loved those days when we caught the milkman delivering ... ran in the house for a washcloth and hit him up for a hunk off ice off the truck.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Jeepster47 My Grandfather on my Mother's side used to deliver large blocks of ice for cooling in Nebraska back in the dark ages. Home HVAC sure has come a LONG ways. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    My FIL, who is approaching the century mark, tells stories about cutting river ice, hauling it to the ice house, and packing it in sawdust to keep it frozen through the summer.  So, yep, HVAC has come a very long way.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    And yeah. It's hot as hell in Aiken too. Frigging sucks. But I'll be in Asheville for the weekend so life is good. 
    Leave me some brew....daughter getting married this weekend in Gainesville GA....leaving Sunday for Asheville for a few days of decompression and hopefully cooler weather.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    I lived in Elgin for 4 yrs. Going to hell would provide some relief....
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    its 72 outside and i have the ac on high =) come on winter. i would die down there. you guys should move north where it snows
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BigWings
    BigWings Posts: 172
    Options
    Suddenly I don't feel so bad living in Canada.   We wore sweaters here yesterday.

New Brunswick, Canada

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I spent two years (two winters) in The snow belt of NE Ohio. Experienced my first white out, snow blowing horizontally at 40 mph winds, mornings so cold it was almost impossible to start the car, and when you did it was so cold the radio would not work. Shoveled massive amount of snow every day, and the locals referred to August as "bad ice fishing."

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I looked up some of your cities, and most aren't going to break 100 today.  

We are going to hit 112 today on my lovely patch of the sun. (Phoenix)

Phoenix 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    blasting said:
    I looked up some of your cities, and most aren't going to break 100 today.  

We are going to hit 112 today on my lovely patch of the sun. 

But it's a dry heat.... :o
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @theyolksonyou   You know, people always say that "it's a dry heat".

I tell them to stick their head in their oven and see if they notice the humidity...

Phoenix