Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Must Have Accessories

Options
Looking to pull the trigger on purchasing a BGE. I am apprehensive as I have used a gas grill for a long time and am nervous about moving back to charcoal. After reading comments, I think I will adjust fine. However, this is a large investment and I was unaware that the BGE came "naked" for the most part. What accessories are a must have with the initial purchase of a BGE?  I am mainly a griller, but will smoke on occasion. Any tips on finding the best deal on an Egg or accessories is also appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Since you already cook, you should already have a good instant read thermometer. If not, get one.  For the egg, you will want to get a setup for indirect cooking. That should get you started. Lots of toys available but take your time before getting them.  You do not need to get BGE branded items. There are several other vendors that make quality items for the egg. Look around before buying.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Best advice I can give is to wait on accessories and see what you really need. It's easy to spend others money here. The Thermapen is a wonderful tool though 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Woo and adjustable rig from ceramic grill works, it will cost about the same as a plate setter and a couple of grid raising gizmos from BGE and is a much more elegant way of doing those things. A Thermapen or Thermopop. And I admit to often using a Maverick to keep track of my low and slow cooks but the Thermapen is the final determination of whether the cook is finished. 
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited June 2015
    Options
    There's a guy on another posting here who has gone 'Hogwild' and seems to have bought every freakin' accessory know to man.

Save it!

Keep things simple ... #1 thing your gonna need is quality welding gloves and a good thermometer, you can work downward from there.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    +1 on gloves. Get a good pair of high temp gloves. Just make sure they aren't treated with chemicals as some welding gloves are these days.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    I too went wild .. now most of the stuff is just sitting in a box .. as @SoCalTim suggested .. start cooking and then slowly and gradually buy what you need.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • hashissmokin
    hashissmokin Posts: 238
    Options
    I'm with @SoCalTim on this...Keep it simple.  Most of this crap is to just get your money.  The only thing that I have purchased since my egg over a year ago has been the platesetter.  I'm not including small stuff like a meat thermometer, gloves, and stuff of that nature.  I would like a CI grate and maybe some sort of adjustable rig but other than that cook on it a while before you pull the trigger on some of that crap.
    LBGE, Paris, KY.
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Options
    Plate setter is a must.
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    For the first year I had my egg the only thing I had was a platesetter.  Since then I have added cast iron grate and a half moon griddle.  I already had a thermapen and a high quality pizza stone. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    edited June 2015
    Options
    MAPP gas torch; quick and easy way to light your grill, and your neighbor's will not call the fire department. 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Platesetter, Maverick thermometer, and Thermapen.  Build the rest as you go.
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    If you don't have a table to put it in, you will definitely need the nest.