Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning inside of egg

Options
My Egg is five years old and l cannot burn off the soot from inside the top. I've done a all vents open burn a couple of times with no luck. Any other suggestions?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    was the daisy just open or did you take it off the egg. daisy off, bottom fully open, full load of lump, no ash clogging bottom grate and cleaned out behind the fire box, blue flame will eventually shoot 4 feet or more out the top vent. egg will be white inside, and your gasket will be toast
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    And your dome may be loose, use caution. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    And your dome may be loose, use caution. 
    extremely loose, dont open unless your making pizza

fukahwee maine

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Or dial it back just a touch and sear some steaks!

• Danielson
    Danielson Posts: 54
    Options
    Thanks, I have a new gasket and will try this tonight. I've done it before, loaded with lump coal, daisy wheel off and bottom vent wide open without burning it clean.
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options

IMO not worth it. So it has a little soot character.. big deal..Clean burns (e.g. 1200 degrees) bring in higher potential for cracks. (base, fire box, fire ring.). I know it shouldn't, and I know there is the warranty, but still not worth it for cosmetic issues. I'd first try scraping out (putty knife, balled up tin foil) before I would go nuclear.   

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• fishlessman
    Options
    Raymont said:

IMO not worth it. So it has a little soot character.. big deal..Clean burns (e.g. 1200 degrees) bring in higher potential for cracks. (base, fire box, fire ring.). I know it shouldn't, and I know there is the warranty, but still not worth it for cosmetic issues. I'd first try scraping out (putty knife, balled up tin foil) before I would go nuclear.   

ive literally had all my ceramic failures at low temps, 325 turkey cook took out a base, moisture from rain took out another base. idling a ferrari all day every day will destroy it =)
    fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Danielson said:
    Thanks, I have a new gasket and will try this tonight. I've done it before, loaded with lump coal, daisy wheel off and bottom vent wide open without burning it clean.
    What kind of gasket? If an OEM (felt) , you will be installing another one tomorrow.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    IMHO clean burns aren't a must. Do a Pizza cook and let it go afterward with PS pulled at 600℉-700℉ and what comes off should be sufficient. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    If it's not affecting the flavor of your food,  why bother?  All you are going to do is fry a gasket.  I know it's cheap to replace a gasket, but it's kind of a pain in the ass. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god.