Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cowboy Lump. Y'all got to be kidding me.

Options

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Thanks for the review.  I'll stick with BGE brand...for now. 
    FWIW, you can probably do better, price and quality-wise, than the BGE branded lump. The only time I use it is when they supply at the eggfest.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Look at the brought side, burn enough cowboy lump and you can use the rocks to landscape.

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Maybe it's like wine or cheese, if you let it sit for a long time it might get better???
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Double Bogey
    Double Bogey Posts: 635
    Options
    Tried Cowboy once and couldn't stand the sparks.  I guess it would be OK for a 4th of July cook.  Thankfully I still have a few bags of Wicked Good Competition Blend and about 80 pounds of Maple Leaf. Other than that just Royal Oak and Frontier which is my everyday go to lump.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • hashissmokin
    hashissmokin Posts: 238
    Options
    Cowboy is the worst!  Royal Oak is somewhat better.  I live in Central Ky and my options when it comes to lump is very limited.  I have three choices.
    1. BGE
    2. Royal Oak
    3. Cowboy

Not sure why the better lump brands are not available.  Basically you walk in to a store you get royal oak or cowboy.  Very frustrating.
    LBGE, Paris, KY.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @hashissmokin ... use this website - http://rockwoodcharcoal.com/where-to-buy-lump-charcoal/ - and chuck in your zip code.  Looks like you've got another alternative next door in Lexington.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• hashissmokin
    Options
    @Jeepster47 Thanks.  I actually work in Lexington so this will definitely work.

LBGE, Paris, KY.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @hashissmokin see, there is always someone on here who knows our own backyards better than we do. Great advice @Jeepster47!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Nothing but ROCKWOOD at RNNL8 BBQ and Soul House !!

Maybe Cowboy is trying to make some "rock"wood !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• YYZegger
    YYZegger Posts: 231
    Options
    Glad I read this post, thank you!   I have a new bag in my garage that I guess will be given to the trash man!
    Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    Lazzari Brand (available at Restaurant Depot) has been a good replacement for Royal Oak - it's less then $15 for this giant bag. So far lots of monster logs - a little ashier then I typically like, but burns nice and clean with no bad smell.
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Wow, that's a bunch of rocks!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• DinnerIsComing
    Options
    For now, I stick to Royal Oak. I know it gets a lot of hate from around these parts but so far my only lump choices I've seen are:

Royal Oak
    BGE
    Frontier
    Cowboy
    Publix store brand

The only one that's been consistent and not terrible for me is the RO. the Publix store brand of lump imparted a bad flavor on the food I cooked.

I've been meaning to check out my local restaurant supply store to see if they offer something different.
    Brace yourself,
    DinnerIsComing
     XLBGE
    22" Weber Kettle
    Weber Spirit E-310 Propane Gasser
    The Webers make for nice Eggcessory storage bins!

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    Tried Cowboy once and couldn't stand the sparks.  I guess it would be OK for a 4th of July cook.  
    That's disrespectful to the 4th! 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited June 2015
    Options
    YYZegger said:
    Glad I read this post, thank you!   I have a new bag in my garage that I guess will be given to the trash man!
    Go to Costco and get the Nature's Own
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have a bag of cowboy, but when I got my egg, the guy through in a free bag of the BGE stuff, so I used it first.  But $30 a bag, that's steep.
    LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC
  • hashissmokin
    Options
    @grillman65 It is steep!  I cannot tell a difference between it and RO
    LBGE, Paris, KY.
  • grillman65
    grillman65 Posts: 81
    Options
    RO?
    LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC
  • hashissmokin
    Options
    Royal Oak.
    LBGE, Paris, KY.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    XC242 said:
    Maybe it's like wine or cheese, if you let it sit for a long time it might get better???
    This bag has been sitting for at least a year. It didn't help at all. It's still junk my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• grillman65
    grillman65 Posts: 81
    Options
    Oh, sorry. 
    LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    SGH said:
    XC242 said:
    This bag has been sitting for at least a year. It didn't help at all. It's still junk my friend. 
    it really is worse now =) any guess what that smell is
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SGH
    Options
    For now, I stick to Royal Oak. I know it gets a lot of hate from around these parts 
    Royal Oak is definitely better than Cowboy. At least in the experience that I have had between the two. Royal Oak is hit and miss in my area. One day you make get a decent bag and the next day get junk. But given the choice I would definitely take RO over Cowboy. The Cowboy honestly produced a medicine smell and taste every time I have used it. It ruined my corn pone. I took two bites and threw the rest away. Tasted like cough syrup. 

image.jpg 1013.8K

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @SGH, I just found this online.  Not sure it is still active, but I may give it a try and see if I can get a few bags before it is gone.
    http://shop.charcoalandmore.com/Lump-Charcoal/Ozark-Oak-Charcoal.html

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SGH
    Options
    Brother fishless, this would just be speculation on my part, but I feel it has to do with just using any and every type of wood that that have. I have literally burned tons of every kind of oak, hickory, mesquite and every fruit wood that you can think of. Never did one of them produce this type of toxic smell. Not even pine produces this type smell. The closest I have ever smelled to this smell was when I was burning some pressure treated plywood scraps. No one panic, I wasn't cooking with plywood, just burning it to dispose of it. With that said, I'm really wondering if they use scrap wood to make it. 

Status- Standing by.

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    The thing I hate the most about cowboy ate the sparks. This used to be all I could get. I've burnt my self numerous times on sparks. Will never buy again, not even for a clean burn. I use RO for my clean burns.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    I just glad we've all agreed that RO is fantastic lump and moved on to bashing something else.  Every lump has a purpose it seems, some just make others look better.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    SGH said:
    Brother fishless, this would just be speculation on my part, but I feel it has to do with just using any and every type of wood that that have. I have literally burned tons of every kind of oak, hickory, mesquite and every fruit wood that you can think of. Never did one of them produce this type of toxic smell. Not even pine produces this type smell. The closest I have ever smelled to this smell was when I was burning some pressure treated plywood scraps. No one panic, I wasn't cooking with plywood, just burning it to dispose of it. With that said, I'm really wondering if they use scrap wood to make it. 
    cowboy was at one time all tongue and groove flooring scrap, was actually a clean burning easy to light lump that all that used lump hated =) then it turned into what you have, and is now even different with short branches with bark still attached. whatever it is now its not lump, i dont think they cooked it long enough, theres lots of unburnt pieces that look like hard pine. i actually hope they go back to flooring scrap and i think i remember reading the boxed premium cowboy is flooring scrap again
    fukahwee maine

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    So, it's hybrid lump.  Ahead of its time even, defining the space between an egg and a stick burner.  Maybe the hardware just hasn't caught up yet.

as far as flooring scraps, how much flooring today is not laminated?  I assume the have to stay away from laminated flooring with the adhesives?
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Legume said:
    So, it's hybrid lump.  Ahead of its time even, defining the space between an egg and a stick burner.  Maybe the hardware just hasn't caught up yet.

as far as flooring scraps, how much flooring today is not laminated?  I assume the have to stay away from laminated flooring with the adhesives?
    it was real hardwood flooring. i think it got difficult to find for production during the last housing market crash. the new stuff smells like they are harvesting plastic trees to make their lump, you have to pick out the bad pieces in the bag and wait a full hour before cooking on it and dont go make a cake with it =)
    fukahwee maine