Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brand new to the egg. Fathers day a flop

Options
Hello all. Glad to be part of the egg experience I think. Always wanted an egg in pursuit of the perfect steak. So Fathers day arrives and I get the egg. Sat morning I filled up the fire box and started the egg to season the cast iron grill. So far so good. Temps get to 700 degrees. This is going to be great. Sat afternoon test hamburgers prior to the family arriving for a pool party on Sunday. I don't add any further coal. I can't get the egg to the more than 300 degrees.I did not adjust anything. Vent wide open at the top and wide open all the way on the bottom. I figured it must just be the coal from the hour burn earlier in the day. Sunday arrives, I empty out what little ash there was from the first burn, fill up the fire box to about 1 " below the grate (direct grilling height). I barely get the egg up to 400 degrees over 45 minutes. I finish up the BBQ on my old SS propane BBQ. Disappointed as I was looking to show off my new fathers day egg to all. Any ideas what I am doing wrong? I did use the green egg coal and hickory chips.

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.  I'll let others address your air flow issues, but congrats on the new egg.
    Phoenix 
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    Definitely sounds like an airflow issue. It could be that the holes in the grate that the lump sits on are blocked. I used a bent wire (coat hanger) to reach in through the bottom vent and poke through the holes to open them up. I had to do this almost every cook until I replaced that grate with one with better airflow. That's at least where I'd look first.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Check that the alignment of the firebox and bottom vent are correct. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,102
    Options
    Check your thermometer calibration.  During your high temp burn you may have knocked it out of cal.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    What size egg did you buy ... airflow issues are different for each one. 

Do check your dome thermometer for calibration!  That may have been your first cook.  Boiling water should read 212 degrees plus or minus some based on where you live.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hey brother, this is only a problem because it happened on your day. In the grand scheme of things, this is quite fixable.

Empty the egg of all lump, remove all internal workings. Clean thoroughly.

Reassemble. Add lump and try again. It'll all work out. A year from now, you'll have tons of cooks under your belt and think back to Sunday and just laugh.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @SoCalTim speaks the truth. We've all had flops. Don't get discouraged. We can figure it out here and you'll be on your way. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    I had the same problem on my first pizza cook when I wanted to impress friends.  The egg wouldn't go above 350.  I have plenty of room in my XL for charcoal so after dumping it in I always clear a spot at the front of the grill that leaves at least two of the holes in the charcoal grate unobstructed to air flow.  Now I can get over 1000 degrees any time I want if the airflow is unobstructed and up to about 800 with the platesetter and XL pizza stone in place.  Those aren't usually my target temps - but when I leave the egg alone too long that's where I end up.

On smaller eggs, others have different ways to make sure airflow is unimpeded - like getting an aftermarket grate.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    I was noted in your comment "fill up the fire box to about 1 " below the grate (direct grilling height)." --- Is it possible that you added to much lump? The maximum you should have gone was to the top of the fire box (fyi- inside egg there are 2 ceramic parts, the lower part is fire box, upper part is fire ring. If you filled all the way up to within an inch of grate, you may have had so much lump in there that it was not getting air to it (through all the other lump). As others have noted, you have an airflow issue. No big deal, you'll get it figured. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    I found if I take my top vent off it really helps to get the temps up there.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    You have gotten good advice here. You will get it worked out and next year on Father's Day you will be the hero! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    @Raymont had my response before I could finish commenting.  The fire ring is about 4" high and the grill sits on that. The fire box is bowl shaped. Fill with lump to the top of the fire box only.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Get a HighQue grate. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    @Raymont had my response before I could finish commenting.  The fire ring is about 4" high and the grill sits on that. The fire box is bowl shaped. Fill with lump to the top of the fire box only.
    I would agree with this on a hot fast cook, however, you try a long low and slow without filling well into the fire ring, you may be refilling in the middle of the night. 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I think @Ozzie_Isaac was probably correct. The higher temp cook messed the dome therm. Thiss assumes that when you cleaned out the previous batch of lump, you did not move the firebox bottom opening from alignment w. the bottom vent.

If you are cooking direct, the dome therm is an approximate indicator of what the food is getting at on the grill. Here is an analogy. You are driving a car with air conditioning. Over all, your body feels quite comfortable. But your left arm, exposed to the sunlight coming thru the driver's side window still gets burnt. Same thing in an Egg direct cook. I've had times when the dome therm would not read higher than 500F. (Turned out that enough lump had burnt to ashes that the air flow was decreased.) But my steaks were still seared. Just took a little longer than when the dome therm reported 800F.

If you remove the fire ring, and put the grill on top of the fire box, anything over glowing lump will be getting 1500F easy, probably more. When I've cooked like that, steaks almost always burst into flame before I can close the dome.

The Egg is an analog instrument. Practice make perfect.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Good advice has already been given - you either had an airflow issue, or possibly a thermo calibration issue. 

But I don't think you can overfill the egg with too much charcoal, unlesss you beat it down in the egg to cram in more and in the process block all the grate holes and firebox holes with small pieces of lump and ash.

If you are doing a low and slow cook, its not unusual to have to fill to the top of the fire-ring (that sits on top of the firebox) to keep things going. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    caliking said:

But I don't think you can overfill the egg with too much charcoal, unlesss you beat it down in the egg to cram in more and in the process block all the grate holes and firebox holes with small pieces of lump and ash.
    This happened to me and the thing wouldn't stay lit. My own fault as I wanted to do L&S on the mm while I was at work. Wound up chunking the butt and doing another turbo to meet the deadline. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Practice makes perfect. You are going to LOVE you egg. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Searat
    Searat Posts: 80
    Options
    We've all been there. Father's Day 2015, did a low and slow all night with 16 lbs pork butt. Pulled the butts, was lazy so I just added some more lump and threw on a tri-tip. Wanted to run it at 350. Pulled the daisy and opened the lower vent all the way open. Got it up to 330 and just cooked it a little slower. Later in the day after everything cooled off, I started preps for the next time. LOTS of ash in the lump so I verified it was an airflow problem due to laziness. Oh well, have a glass of wine and get ready for the next cook.

• EggPerfection
    Options
    Welcome.  Learning how to use it is part of the fun.  I did make the mistake of entertaining people before is was completely reliable on a cook or two.  That was a decade ago and I still get BS for it!
    Best - Jack