Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DRY AGED STRIP

Options
So after reading a few posts on this by @RRP and others, I ordered some Umai bags and bought a whole loin at Costco. Being that this was my first try at dry aging, I managed to only make it 38 days before I wimped out. Took it out of the fridge this morning and cut into steaks, trimmed them up, vacuum packed and froze them. I know I trimmed them more than Ron recommends, but I have to keep SWMBO happy. Since I'm batching this week, I kept one out to try. It was only about 1 1/4 thick, so I T-Rexed it. S & P only. Could possibly be the best steak I've ever grilled. Flavour was off the chart! I'll be heading back to Costco tomorrow to pick up another one. Will try and make it 45-50 days on the next one. Thanks to this forum for turning me onto this!
GWN

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Glad you liked them! Shame you didn't hide at least one from SWMBO and not trimmed away all the good aged stuff!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    Look great!

Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    Looks fantastic! I might be hitting Costco on the weekend, probably a must now!
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I just ordered the bags tonight. I am going to age half a prime boneless ribeye - about 5-6 lbs "wet" weight. That is not too small of a roast, is it @RRP ?
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • RRP
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    I just ordered the bags tonight. I am going to age half a prime boneless ribeye - about 5-6 lbs "wet" weight. That is not too small of a roast, is it @RRP ?
    No, but keep in mind that a 5-6# prime boneless will lose at least 20% of tasteless water within the meat cells, which will
    make the meat more tender PLUS taste MORE beefy! If you have a wife who does NOT understand the benefit of dry aging beef let alone dry aging in the family refrig then you may have OTHER challenges! Those challenges include SWMBO who will insist that you trim away all the dry aged beef that you have worked for to get back to what I call "grocery store red"!n other words why did you EVEN bother to dry age it if all you did was trim off the good stuff and then trow it away?
    Yes -  dry aged beef MIGHT be an acquired taste after you have paid MUCH-O dollars for dry aged steaks as served at GOOD STEAKHOUSES! 

Grocery store steak lovers need not reply!
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    The instructions on the Umai website say to trim off the dry hardened meat and then cut into steaks. 
    GWN
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    Do they jaccard tenderize the whole roasts that are still in vacuum bags?  That's my only concern.  I know they do the regular steaks and it drives me crazy when they do it to the prime stuff.  Prime strips or ribeyes should NOT need the jaccard treatment.  On the prime steaks, it actually contributes to a mealy texture.

My concern about dry aging anything that received the jaccard is that it potentially introduces bacteria from the surface to the interior of the meat.  Not much of a big deal if you're cooking or freezing soon after purchasing, but could be a big deal if you let them sit for a while in a fridge.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • RRP
    Options
    Nanook said:
    The instructions on the Umai website say to trim off the dry hardened meat and then cut into steaks. 
    Fine...no offense, but sometimes I break the speed limit in my cars and I also eat raw eggs in my Ceasars Salad and gosh I even love raw beef I cut from beef I have dry aged. Instructions are meant to help, but not limit people. The dry hardened outer bark mellows when cooked and is extremely tasty! Trimming is a matter of sensibility. Why trim the aged beef back to grocery store red? If you do then why bother aging it in the first place?
  • RRP
    Options
    cssmd27 said:
    Do they jaccard tenderize the whole roasts that are still in vacuum bags?  That's my only concern.  I know they do the regular steaks and it drives me crazy when they do it to the prime stuff.  Prime strips or ribeyes should NOT need the jaccard treatment.  On the prime steaks, it actually contributes to a mealy texture.

My concern about dry aging anything that received the jaccard is that it potentially introduces bacteria from the surface to the interior of the meat.  Not much of a big deal if you're cooking or freezing soon after purchasing, but could be a big deal if you let them sit for a while in a fridge.
    I fully agree! I NEVER dry age individual steaks! Why?because you CAN'T!
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks @RRP,   My wife actually gives me carte blanche control over everything in the kitchen. I can do/try anything and everything I want. I may get a roll of the eyes here and there, but never a "no". I am very, very lucky. It sounds like I am in store for a very good dry aged boneless to roast for two i about 5 weeks!  
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    Nanook said:
    that dry hardened beef turns to butter when you cook it and just looks like good steak after the sear, dont be bothered by it, you can literally eat it raw
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Nanook
    Options
    cssmd27 said:

The cryovaced whole loins and ribs etc. from Costco here in Canada (at least in Alberta) have not been tenderized. I have bought individual steaks there as well, And I don't believe they have been tenderized either. 
    GWN
  • fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    Options
    RRP would you attach a pic or two of your primal steaked out?  Might help show the level of trimming or lack of.
  • Nanook
    Options
    RRP said:
    Nanook said:
    Why trim the aged beef back to grocery store red? If you do then why bother aging it in the first place?
    No offence taken. I have no doubt that the dry outside of the steak is fine to eat and quite tasty, but I'm sure you'll agree that the " grocery store red" stuff in the middle has benefited from the dry aging process as well. 
    GWN
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    Nanook said:
    RRP said:
    Nanook said:
    Why trim the aged beef back to grocery store red? If you do then why bother aging it in the first place?
    No offence taken. I have no doubt that the dry outside of the steak is fine to eat and quite tasty, but I'm sure you'll agree that the " grocery store red" stuff in the middle has benefited from the dry aging process as well. 
    I have only done this once so maybe it was a one off but I did a 45 day prime rib and it was super tender when I steaked it out.  I vacuum packed the individual steaks and froze them.  Upon thawing and eating there was none of the tenderness that I remember it having, it almost even seemed more "stiff" than it did before dry aging.  I have no idea what happened and it was a little disappointing because I was really looking forward to some melt in the mouth cut witha fork steaks.

I will be paying extra attention next time.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • RRP
    Options
    fruitguy said:
    RRP would you attach a pic or two of your primal steaked out?  Might help show the level of trimming or lack of.
    Sure!