Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs -- country style?

Desert Egg
Desert Egg Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife came back from the store the other day with country style ribs instead of spare ribs. So that is what we had for dinner tonight. I always use Jslots indirect method with JJ's rub. Have never had any problem until today. They were charred pretty good. The inside and top were fine just the bottom side was bad. Was this caused from the fact that they were all seperate ribs and not a rack/slab? This is the first time this has happened so I think it may be why. Also I normally use the BGE rib/v-rack but didn't this time, I just placed them on the grill.
Any ideas?
Brad

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Desert Egg,
    Country style pork ribs are usually the Butt end of the shoulder same as boston butt, only sliced up into rib like portions or sections for grilling. IHMO basting and rotating these similar to JJ's methods will produce good eats. I have yet to have them as good as the pork loin bone in ribs..seems bone contributes a better flavor.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    S12_07_9919_20_01.jpg
    <p />Desert Egg, I use the indirect method at 325-350 for about 2.5 hours - cjheck out the link below.

[ul][li]Country Ribs[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Desert Egg,
    I do mine indirect at 300-350, over a drip pan and pizza stone. Then I finish them up direct. Have not had the problem you describe. Country Ribs are actually not ribs at all, but strips cut from the loin or shoulder. If they are really fatty, they are from the shoulder.[p]I posted a photo "Vietnature Pork" yesterday if you want to see how they come out. Good luck.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Desert Egg,
    The times I have done the country style ribs I started off direct but added firebricks very soon thereafter since the fatty meat was causing flare ups. It has to do with the cut of the meat and where it comes from. The one time I tried lower heat to get fewer flare ups the fire almost was put out from fat drippings over unlit coals. A rib rack or v rack over foil or pan on top of bricks works; first time I just used skewers set across an old cake pan and set the meat on top. Hope this helps.