Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got my expanded metal grill grate made! (Partially)

Options

Comments

• Downr@nge
    Downr@nge Posts: 83
    Options
    I was wondering if I need to coat it with anything first.  It only cost me $16 for a 2' by 4' sheet of 3/4" #9 sheet.  The local steel guy cut it for me for $20.  Now I just have to figure out how to best reinforce it so it doesn't sag under weight and heat.  Any suggestions?  I was thinking of a triangle pattern, kind of like the Mercedes Benz logo.  
    XL Big Green  Egg 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Are you going to put something around the perimeter? I can see a lot of cut fingers otherwise.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    What material is the expanded metal?  I was looking at doing something similar for both the LBGE and MM in a heavy gauge 304SS or 316SS and then a SS bevel wrap around the outer edge. The heavier gauge would allow for less flex under a heat load and would improve longevity. 
    If yours is mild steel I'd run 3 pieces of flat stock for rigidity and wrap the outer edge half round smooth stock. Just an idea /my 2¢. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @RRP agree mild steel expanded will flex, sag and corrode. Aluminum won't corrode but, will definitely sag. Heavy gauge SS is the best suited material (which is why it's used commercially and industrially) but, the downside is the initial material cost. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Are you going to put something around the perimeter? I can see a lot of cut fingers otherwise.
    +1. Can I ask what's the benefit of an expando grate?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Is this a fire grate replacement? Jonathan used to make them for the S, M, and L Eggs. I have one for my large and if it starts to sag, I just flip it over.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Run a 1/4" round rod around the outside, then a few across the middle 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Man that perimeter edge is wicked sharp. You can get get just looking at a picture of it.
  • Downr@nge
    Options
    It's just preference.  I can say that i do like the spacing of holes versus the spacing on the grate that comes with the egg.
    XL Big Green  Egg 
  • Downr@nge
    Options
    And yes, its VERY sharp.  I'm definitely going to put something around the edges and something to keep it from sagging.  
    XL Big Green  Egg 
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    What is this for? A replacement grate?

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• Downr@nge
    Options
    @EggHead_Bubba, its a replacement cooking grate.
    XL Big Green  Egg 
  • MediumRarely
    MediumRarely Posts: 270
    Options
    Use SS shape for the support/perimeter (channel, angle etc.).  Solid bar/rod/etc. will sag/deflect a lot more.

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

I used to make the fire grates out of the #9 expanded stainless steel for the S, M, and L.  The larges were 10" in diameter and they would slightly sag after a while--just flip then over.

You really need to weld a perimeter around that thing or you're going to cut yourself.  I have the scars to prove it when I fabricated the first few dozen myself.  After that, I had them cut on a plasma table.  But since it was down in belly of the Egg, there's no reason to ever remove it again.

This is going to sag and you might run into issues when using it with a platesetter legs up.  You might fabricate a lifter similar to "the claw" that people use to lift a hot plate setter out.

• erniemcclain
    erniemcclain Posts: 505
    Options
    Why not flip your stock factory grid and weld it to the bottom of that?

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Just trying to understand... what is the benefit of this grate compared to OEM grates?

• stlcharcoal
    Options

My only hesitation on that would be cleaning as you're making a lot of extra places for grease to cling onto.  The expanded stainless is already harder to clean than the parallel rods.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options

My only hesitation on that would be cleaning as you're making a lot of extra places for grease to cling onto.  The expanded stainless is already harder to clean than the parallel rods.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Downr@nge said:
    I was wondering if I need to coat it with anything first.  It only cost me $16 for a 2' by 4' sheet of 3/4" #9 sheet.  The local steel guy cut it for me for $20.  Now I just have to figure out how to best reinforce it so it doesn't sag under weight and heat.  Any suggestions?  I was thinking of a triangle pattern, kind of like the Mercedes Benz logo.  
    No offense meant since you are already this far into your grate, but first $16 and then plus $20, plus whatever cost of the circular protection and then the support welded on and gosh...you are already way over the cost of a stainless grate that won't cut you, won't rust, won't cup and will clean up far easier. I too love to make my own stuff when I can, but I also know when I'm over my head price wise vs. results.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ringkingpin
    ringkingpin Posts: 260
    Options
    I can roll you a ring if you want!  www.anglerings.com

"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I think expanded metal would make a good cooking grate.  Problem in my mind is the circular shape leaves a lot of jagged edges as many have commented on.  

To be ideal, one would have to ring roll some small angle for the perimeter, and also cut it out of heavy gauge stainless, which would cause it to be priced higher than a stock grate.

Phoenix 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options

What do people use your rings for?  I am just curious.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • ringkingpin
    ringkingpin Posts: 260
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:

What do people use your rings for?  I am just curious.
    They're used often as flanges for round, industrial and heavy commercial duct work.  Tons of other applications, AG, architectural, structural supports for tanks, etc. 
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

lol.  I just recommended that without seeing your post.

Is that your company?  In looking at your website it looks like you all have made a nice place for yourselves in a niche market.
    Phoenix 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    @RRP agree mild steel expanded will flex, sag and corrode. Aluminum won't corrode but, will definitely sag. Heavy gauge SS is the best suited material (which is why it's used commercially and industrially) but, the downside is the initial material cost. 
    FWIW - Aluminum will corrode, actually oxidizes the moment it is subjected to air. The fine white dust is Aluminum Oxide, and enough of that at critical mass will explode at certain temp. The by product of corroded aluminum is hydrogen gas, another thing not to have around high temps. Ford motors is going through a tough spell right now with their aluminum trucks. Corrosion is rampant, especially where they chose not to use seam sealer in the creased folds and bends, like under the hood. The aluminum they use is an alloy that contains copper, they have since lowered the amount if copper in the alloy and started using seam sealer.
    Not trying to be a smart ask, just trying to help. Most aluminum that we see in pots and pans are alloys that limit or delays corrosion, but once you start seeing pitted surfaces, it is over.
    hope this may help.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    Not trying to be a smart a$$, but why reinvent the wheel? 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    GaBGE said:
    Not trying to be a smart a$$, but why reinvent the wheel? 
    Thank you... THAT was exactly what I was trying to say, but sometimes words are thicker than mud to some people.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Yeah, I kinda hinted at it above. I just didn't want to rain on someone's DIY parade. I'm all about DIY and sometimes I look back at some of the things O did and just shake my head!

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    What is the finished diameter you are considering? Always fun to make your own stuff. In my case it is usually the excuse to buy some tool I don't have and need to finish the project. Good luck!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!