Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How not to smoke a brisket...

Options
2»

Comments

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    I think @SGH told me after my first brisket cook which was "meh" at best, when it comes to brisket if it's edible, it's still a success.

Sounds like you served some really nice pieces and the rest will still make a great dish.

I served my leftover dry as dust flat the next day cubed with a 50/50 mix of beef broth and sweet baby rays heated up. I served over toast and the kids still rave and ask for me to make it again.

I've had some health issues lately and had to have some major surgery. I had my first cook yesterday in about 6 weeks and it was grand. Just a simple turbo butt. I started the cook with my 10yo son and taught him humbly some important egg/grilling/bbq basics. I shared some great pulled pork with my father and my family and had as good a day as I've had in 2 months.

Maybe I'm getting g a little too sappy or a little too Zen, but it seems like a lot of this is more about the journey rather than the destination.

In 2 years you'll laugh about the inedible meteor you made, or you'll marvel over how you even were able to eat anything from a disastrous cook. When that time us spent with family and friends, it's all worth it!!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    I made beercan burgers just last night and had the egg steady at 400. went downstairs wo watch an episode of Suits and came up and it was at 700F. top was a little scorched but still was edible. In fact the best ones I have made according to SWMBO. They were good.
    @hondabbq, what is your beercan burger recipe?  I have yet to try this.  I was thinking some suited onions and mushrooms with an egg and cheese on top.  Wrapped in bacon of course.
    Beef and pork. 50/50. Dizzy pig. ( dizzy dust, cowlick, raising the steaks) pick one. 
    Fill with what you will. Yesterday I made au gratin potato and layered BBQ sauce and corn. And topped with fresh parm and Monterey. 
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options

@caliking - Thank you for sharing.  We all want winners knocked out of the park, but Egging, like baseball, sometimes doesn't happen the way we planned and practiced it.  It is also relieving to amateurs like myself (I'm being honest here, not modest, I simply don't have as much experience as some others) that sometimes things go wrong.

By the way....

"Have you seen my baseball??" - Warren

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Ive got three kids and a swmbo but she isnt always easy to please. Especially when the kids are crazy and im outside "fooling with my grill". We have all been caught with no time to much to do and meat on the fire
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Great but sad story. It confirms why I don't cook brisket!

On a side note, how was the size of lump in the Fogo bag?  Ironically I usually find it takes longer to get up to higher temps and I thought it was because the chunks are gi-normous 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

@xiphoid007 - good points to remember. I spent the weekend with my near and dear ones. Haven't been with my dad on Father's Day for 15+ years since he lived outside the US for 30 years,  and he just recently returned and moved in with me. There were many pluses for the day :)

I can't wait to  teach my little guy how to cook. Hope your health is back to being good by now.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    Options
    @blind99 - the bag seemed to have grapefruit sized pieces and little tree trunks in it. I broke a few into smaller pieces because they were huge. Had no problems getting up to high temps!

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks @caliking . On the mend and feeling better. More than anything I've gained perspective. Great to hear you could spend your day with your father. That brisket is sounding more and more delicious!  ;)
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Awesome story. Nice to know I'm not the only one that farks up some cooks. Lol
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,614
    Options
    If you were a woman Cali, you would've had a gofundme for a stoker and an SRF brisket on the way already.  Maybe you just need a second account  ;)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    What about chopping it up and mixing a sauce for chopped beef 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    Options
    Legume said:
    If you were a woman Cali, you would've had a gofundme for a stoker and an SRF brisket on the way already.  Maybe you just need a second account  ;)

Nah... I'd spend the money on strippers and blow, and screw up that brisket too.