Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cooking large quantities and some other stuff

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i cooked two pork loins this weekend. (20 lbs total) The meat covered most of the grill, but not enough to block air flow. I set the grates etc on the egg as I would for a temperature of around 225. I found that the temperature gauge on the egg showed below 200 through the entire time needed to cook the loins.
I let it cook without interfering or changing anything and was happy with the result.[p]My question, more important for future reference is this:[p]Does a large quantity of meat act as a heat block for the egg's thermometer? Was I right to assume that the cooking temperature was the normal one? Is it a bad idea to cook a large quantity as I did? Is it a good idea?[p]And while I am at it, is there anyone out there that has a grilling cookbook that they like as much as I like anything written by the Jamisons?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    PP
    <p />Alan Garrison,
    No problem with cooking large quantities. Here is that photo again of 24 pounds of pork.
    What you have to be careful of is that the thermometer doesn't touch the meat. When you are cooking big chunks of meat (or whole turkeys) the thermometer often will make conact with the meat, and mess up your readings.
    Could that have been your problem?
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Alan Garrison,
    Steven Raichlen's Barbecue Bible is an excellent book.
    JimW

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Alan Garrison,[p]About 6 racks of ribs has been my largest cook so I will let those who have done 2+ butts etc comment on that. [p]You can do a couple of things with the dome thermometer to reduce the amount it goes into the area under the dome. You can remove the clip (which I don't use and after you remove it once you'll know why) and use it on the outside under the gage of the thermometer to raise the probe sensor higher in the dome. But if your clip was a dirty as my old one, you may not want to. Some use a wine cork with a hole drilled in it but I prefer to get an old coke can and cut a 1x3" strip of aluminum from the side with scissors (cuts like thick paper). Drill two holes - one at each end - large enough for the probe to go through. Form a large U shape and run the probe through both holes. This spacer can't burn and is adjustable by using a larger piece of aluminum strip. [p]Tim
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Tim M,
    That aluminum "spacer" you gave me for my small works great...and has been in position since you brought it by. Great idea.
    Cheers. NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M,
    This was good advice. I think it hit the nail on the head, and I also think the solution will work nicely.[p]Thanks.