Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easter Ugh

randomegger
randomegger Posts: 194
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Our annual neighborhood Easter shindig committee is asking what it is that I'm going to egg this year. Ham? Ugh, not again. And I'm suffering from pulled pork burn out (yeah, I know, but it can happen. Be careful out there, people) and, as you may recall, I am incapable of cooking an edible brisket. Chickens might be a possibility but I think I can only spatchcock two and fit them on the grill - which may not be enough...[p]With that in mind, anyone got any creative ideas for something to serve a group of undetermined size? Right now I'm leaning towards pork or beef tenderloins but I'm open to suggestions. What are you cooking?![p]RE

Comments

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    randomegger,[p]I'm doing marinated Lamb Kebobs this year with Tzatiki sauce on the side. Hmm Good.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    GrillMeister,
    What do you marinate your lamb in?

• BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    randomegger,[p]What about pulled beef or a big pot of chili or posole?[p]
    [ul][li]Posole (Pozole) recipe[/ul]
  • GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    edbro,[p]Lamb Marinade:
    l T. coarse black pepper
    l T. Kosher Salt
    l/2 t. cayenne pepper
    l t. cardoman, chopped fresh thyme, chopped fresh oregano
    l T. paprika
    2 T. dijon mustard
    4 T. chopped fresh garlic
    4 T. grated onion
    l C. yogurt[p]Marinate for 24 hours.[p]Tzatziki Sauce[p]1 quart container plain yogurt
    1 cup sour cream
    1 cucumber - peeled and grated
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1/2 lemon, juiced
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
    6 cloves garlic finely minced[p]Before you mix all these together, grate the cucumber into a colander and let sit for a while to get the water out. You might even use some paper towels to soak up the water.[p]Then mix well and let sit for a day for all the flavors to infuse. This stuff rocks![p]Cheers,[p]GrillMeister
    Austin, TX

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    GrillMeister,
    Thanks, I'll give this a try. Not much of a lamb fan myself but my wife is a Turk and grew up with lamb as a diet staple.

• GrillMeister,
    Even one step better. Why get stuck with gobs of extra food or have to listen to people say " I don't like that".
    Have a "BYOB" BBQ Party. Bring your own "Bab" (Kebab)
    They only take a few min on the egg. Fresh hot food for all...Might bring a few extras such as pre soaked skewers, Dizzy Pig spice, some brush on marinade of your choice.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    randomegger,[p]Here is something fun for a side snack. How about Armadillo Eggs? You take a Jalapeno pepper, cut the top off and de-vein and de-seed it. Mix up some cream cheese and yellow food coloring and pipe it into the peppers. Make a patty of sausage, then wrap the pepper inside forming kind of an egg shape. Barbecue just like a fatty until the sausage is 165° - 170° then rest to let the cheese set up. Slice about 1/2" thick. The slices will look like hard boiled eggs thanks to the food coloring.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • DO A TURKEY BREAST

inject with swanson chicken broth & smoke till done 180F
  • randomegger,[p]Kielbasa is traditional Easter fare on the Polish side of my family and is great on the pit. Not Hillshire Farms - try to get some that's made locally, either smoked or fresh, or both.[p]Turkey breast injected with something like a creole butter injection and rubbed with Tony Cachere's or Pappy's seasoning would be great, too.[p]Lee

• trackman
    trackman Posts: 47
    My traditional Easter cook is a rabbit. I typically will cook 2 or 3 given the size of the crowd that's around and serve it with some nice grilled vegetables.