Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Craigslist ad special/one of akimd

2»

Comments

• .... The visions are at SAMs for like 600$ or something. Come on man. 
    I think the bigger ones are 600. The medium sized ( if you can find one) are normally 399. I caught one on clearance in february and got it for 199. 

Little Rock, AR

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    .... The visions are at SAMs for like 600$ or something. Come on man. 
    I think the bigger ones are 600. The medium sized ( if you can find one) are normally 399. I caught one on clearance in february and got it for 199. 

Regardless of what the generic one costs, this is a branding deal.......there are some people that want the Snap-on name on their grills, so let them pay for it.  Snap-on doesn't make coats, gloves, etc, but people still buy a ton of them.

If you don't believe it, take a look at how many people will buy a green Maverick, BBQ Guru, etc because it says "Big Green Egg" on the side.   Snap-on has a cult following just like the BGE and they would be dumb NOT to make a grill or other branded lifestyle items.

I have a Snap-On toolbox and a whole set of tools from them (neither of which I paid anywhere near retail for.)  Worth every penny, when I used to be a helicopter & business jet mechanic.  I used to work with another guy that had over $30K just in a "pit toolbox", and another $40-50K in tools inside of it.  Everything he had/wore/drove said Snap-On and he was happy as clam with his hobby and collection.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Biggreenpharmacist Posts: 4,341
    edited June 2015
    Oh I believe that. I was just pointing out that it was overpriced even worse since that same grill retails for 400 bucks, not even 600. Its just like anything else, people want to see that name brand. 

Kinda like all these crazy people who order Rockwood charcoal when Cowboy is the exact same and cheaper. They just wanna see that "Rockwood" on the front of the bag. 

Little Rock, AR

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Hey @troutgeek we bought a place right near Bishop's Bay golf course on the north side of the lake. We should meet up some time.
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • stlcharcoal
    Oh I believe that. I was just pointing out that it was overpriced even worse since that same grill retails for 400 bucks, not even 600. Its just like anything else, people want to see that name brand. 

Kinda like all these crazy people who order Rockwood charcoal when Cowboy is the exact same and cheaper. They just wanna see that "Rockwood" on the front of the bag. 

LOL......nope, not even close.  I do know the guys that ran that plant before it sold.  Nice guys, but a totally different setup.

I've had quite a few email of people that want Rockwood t-shirts, stickers, etc.  I'm going to try to get some made when things slow down.   Will sell them at cost as it's free advertising for us.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Cool!  I've never used Rockwood but would gladly buy a RW-branded Yeti at cost!

Still waiting on finding it in a store in Texas.
  • Oh I believe that. I was just pointing out that it was overpriced even worse since that same grill retails for 400 bucks, not even 600. Its just like anything else, people want to see that name brand. 

LOL......nope, not even close.  I do know the guys that ran that plant before it sold.  Nice guys, but a totally different setup.

I've had quite a few email of people that want Rockwood t-shirts, stickers, etc.  I'm going to try to get some made when things slow down.   Will sell them at cost as it's free advertising for us.

I was teasing you. I'm in Arkansas and I stockpiled OO when they shut down but still ordered some rockwood from you just to feel safe. 

Little Rock, AR

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    I'll give him 50.00 bucks and put in my deer camp. But i would change the handle. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    A little more resonable for $850 locally.  He doesn't even mention that it's super rare and only a couple more exist in the world!

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/for/5083111363.html
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    wonder if they sourced those through vision, or found visions source overeas =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    At least the price is dropping on those "one of a kind" grills.
    I'd probably sell it too. Snap-On fanboys would love to have a Snap-On grill. I'd just buy another egg.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• ringkingpin
    ringkingpin Posts: 260
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • stlcharcoal

If the stand is built with the same quality of the tool boxes, then it would cost just as much as the cooker itself or more.  My toolbox is 10 yrs old, but you can stand in the drawers and they'll still glide.  Not sure if they're still made in the US.  I can see paying $1000-1200, but the rest is the name on the side.

Who knows what they actually sell these things for--the Snap-on drivers are all over the board when it comes to pricing, especially if you finance through them.  I royally ticked off my driver when I bought a set of tools through Snap-On industrial's student program when I was in college.  He refused to warranty any of them since I didn't buy through him (where have we heard that story before????)  Eventually he warmed up when I started buying a few specialty aviation tools.  I bought my $5K-list roll cab box used on CL--dumb kid financed the thing at 22%, then lost his job when he got his second DWI on a motorcycle. No sympathy once he told me that, talked him down from $3000 to $1800 cash.

• I actually like it. Pretty cool unit. Price does seem a little out of line but it is a pretty unique piece.