Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lodge Cast Iron Outlet

Options
Im headed there next week and am looking for reccomendations on what other eggheads like in the way of cast iron. I've got a skillet and dutch over...what else is good to have??

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Buy a different size skillet and DO! :)

Seriously, I have 8 CI skillets, all different sizes. And I use them all. I also have 4 DOs, but only really use two of them. All were antique shop finds for dirt cheap and I can never pass up dirt cheap. I had a couple more, but gave them to my son. What I still need is a 7 qt or more Dutch oven. Don't need it often, but I REALLY want to do that pork butt with baked bean recipe and I don't have a big enough pot!

Oh, and a griddle might be nice too.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    If you want to bake bread on your Egg get a 4 quart dutch oven.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Griddle.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Get the CI pizza pan. Fits the large and you will use for a lot of things. Works like a griddle. 
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I'd like to have a griddle seems like it would be versatile.  Could egg some breakfast on it or use it with the reverse sear. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    The 14" round griddle is probably the piece I use the most.  @Carolina Q  has it right - skillets of different sizes - especially the larger ones.  Drop biscuit pan, cornbread wedge pan...  

I keep saying I dont need any more ci, but going to an outlet store for me may be costly.  
    Phoenix 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    This is one of my favorite pieces. Great for cobblers, casseroles and hot dips. Comes in two sizes. Larg shownSorry for the shameless inclusion of my fathers day cook!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • blasting
    Options
    @northGAcock what do you call that piece?  It isnt on the lodge site.
    Phoenix 
  • orbbq
    orbbq Posts: 39
    Options
    lodge has some CI bread pans.  They make awesome bread, and I have been using them for stuft peppers on the egg lately.  Very handy.
    BGE XL in the Pacific NW
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Where is the outlet?  I want some type of skillet without a handle. 
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @jcaspary there's one in Pigeon Forge,TN and one in South Pittsburg, TN. May be others as well. 
  • northGAcock
    Options
    blasting said:
    @northGAcock what do you call that piece?  It isnt on the lodge site.
    That would be the oval cassarole I believe they still carry these. One thing to keep in mind, at the outlet, sometimes there are limited production items. If you see a piece you like, get it. 

• Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options
    @jcaspary there's one in Pigeon Forge,TN and one in South Pittsburg, TN. May be others as well. 

We were passing the one in S. Pittsburg on our trip home (to St Louis) from Florida.  Needless to say, there was a quick detour and I had a new dutch oven.  Freaking magic.
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    Yea the one in S Pittsburgh moved to a new location about a month ago.  Not good place to go with all the eggs and ci goodies inside !
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    If you go to the one in S Pittsburg be sure to go to the back room. That's where the blemished stuff is. Great prices on them.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • northGAcock
    edited June 2015
    Options
    jcaspary said:
    Be careful of what you ask, you may need to purchas a piece of furniture to house the collection. My last purchase was four 8 inch cast iron plates. I use them when finishing of breakfast burritos. 

• Bentgrass
    Options
    Omg- that is amazing !
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Fajita skillets with the wooden plates and the biscuit (whatever it's called)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Bentgrass said:
    Yea the one in S Pittsburgh moved to a new location about a month ago.  Not good place to go with all the eggs and ci goodies inside !
    Where did they move @Bentgrass? I should be traveling through in the next week or two. 
  • Bentgrass
    Options
    They have signs directing- on street behind old store and a couple blocks east. Big building- very nice, can't miss it.
  • blasting
    Options
    northGAcock said: Be careful of what you ask, you may need to purchase a piece of furniture to house the collection. 
    I'm with you.  I took over this cabinet and added shelves just for the small stuff - less than 10 1/2".  Then I have 2 pot drawers for the bigger stuff.  Love cast iron, but it does take up a lot of space.

Phoenix 
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    jcaspary said:
    there is also one in Commerce, GA
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Bentgrass
    Options
    Looked up new location for Lodge, and this is new address:

220 E 3rd St
    South Pittsburg, TN  37380-1522
    United States
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    This is a list of their outlet stores.  I've been to the Sevierville store many times

https://www.lodgemfg.com/about-us/lodge-factory-stores.asp

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    jcaspary said:
    Be careful of what you ask, you may need to purchas a piece of furniture to house the collection. My last purchase was four 8 inch cast iron plates. I use them when finishing of breakfast burritos. 
    Beautiful.  I need to find a shelf like that to get all my cast iron in the kitchen.  It's all stored downstairs in the basement with the rest of my Eggin accessories.  Love it!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    YEMTrey   I can relate to having my CI all over the house, In my gas grill looking storage cabinet, in my office over the garage, in the basement, might even be some hid under the bed (maybe not), etc.  

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    blasting said:
    ...  I took over this cabinet and added shelves just for the small stuff - less than 10 1/2".  Then I have 2 pot drawers for the bigger stuff.  Love cast iron, but it does take up a lot of space.

That's beautiful ... and funny at the same time.  Looks like someone handed you a CI skillet and asked you to clean it up with your blasting equipment.  After you did it, the bug caught you and you're now trying to clean up the world one-CI-item-at-a-time.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• blasting
    Options
    Jeepster47 said That's beautiful ... and funny at the same time.  Looks like someone handed you a CI skillet and asked you to clean it up with your blasting equipment.  After you did it, the bug caught you and you're now trying to clean up the world one-CI-item-at-a-time.
    Hi @Jeepster47   Believe it or not, I have  not yet blasted any ci.  I finally picked up 3 estate sale pieces a couple weeks ago that need it, but they'll have to wait, since it's ridiculously hot here now.  The only blasting I'll be doing for the next three months is pool tile where I can stay nice and cool.  

I am caught by the ci bug though, as you say.  I'm done buying new stuff, but I will buy what I see at estate sales.  My daughter loves estate sales, so I envision my collection growing.
    Phoenix