Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: public safety announcement - carbon monoxide detectors: OT

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
Twice a year the public is reminded to replace batteries in smoke detectors so that hopefully saves many lives! OTOH what about the back up batteries in electric carbon monoxide detectors? It never even dawned on me to check those! Case in point...our area had a wide spread power outage last night at 9:20 that lasted for nearly 3 hours. We decided to go to bed and surely by morning all would be back to normal. About 11 PM our dog woke us up and then we too could hear the CM detector alarm in the basement! Granted it's summer and our gas furnace is off, but the gas hot water heater is still operating! I immediately jumped up and opened the windows in our second story bedroom to get fresh air. Within 5 minutes time the 1st floor CM was also going off so I opened windows on first floor as well and then our 3rd CM in our bedroom started! By then common sense kicked in...these were not screaming due to carbon monoxide detection but because with the electricity having been off this time as well as 3 hours another time recently I bet the alarm was pending battery failure. What a relief that was when I took the flashlight and changed out all 3 9 volt batteries. That stopped the alarms. BTW yes I had installed all 3 detectors at the same time which explains why all the batteries were going bad at the same time. Rest assured I will be changing these batteries at least bi-annually or more often if we have more and more power outages! 
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments