Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT's

Dimple's Mom
Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to attempt ABT's for the first time on Saturday. Any advice?[p]Gwen

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    dimplesmom,
    Wear gloves. Don't touch your eyes or anywhere else for that matter. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    dimplesmom,
    I like to cut the bacon slices in half crosswise; that's just enough to make one overlapping wrap around the jalapeno. Then I parboil the bacon in a pot of boiling water so it won't take as long to cook on the grill. Drop a "chunk", 3 or 4 half slices, into the pot and when it bobs to the surface with the slices starting to separate it's ready to remove, completely separate, and cool.[p]HTH
    Ken

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Yes...Yes...Yes!!![p]Put that info right next to "Do not play in traffic"!![p]LOL!!!![p]Evans[p]Maybe a "Memorable quotes and Sage advise" page is in order for the WhizSite?
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    dimplesmom, I wholeheartedly agree with the gloves for protction, and if you're doing many of them consider a disposable paint mask too. More than once I've gotten my throat horribly sore from breathing in the flumes when fixing 3 or 4 dozen at a time.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    dimplesmom,[p]Grab some mushrooms and stuff them with the cream cheese, finely chopped peppers, diced pulled pork and a some crushed saltines (to make the stuffing stand up). Top with DP original. Put these on in the last 5-10 minutes of the ABT cook -- (I forget the cooking time). Serve these to those that can't handle the heat of the ABT. Sort of a kinder and gentler ABT.[p]Ed
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    dimplesmom,
    Follow this recipe and hints and you'll think you've died and gone to Heaven : [p]
    Atomic Buffalo Turds [p]This is the most basic version of the famous ABT’s. Several people asked me about the ABT’s I prepared at the fest, so I’ll tell you how I do these and offer a few hints.[p]Ingredients :[p]• 12 Jalapenos - fresh (3-3.5 inches each)
    • 1-8 ounce pack of cream cheese
    • 12 oz. bacon (regular sliced-NOT thick sliced)
    • 1 pack smoked cocktail wieners (Lil' Smokeys)
    • Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express rub[p]Preparation :
    • Wash, remove stems and halve jalapenos lengthwise. Only cut the stem off, don't cut the end of jalapeno off to remove the stem. If the jalapenos are pretty fresh. you can pull the stems off fairly easy. Remove seeds and veins (leave veins in if you would like a hotter ABT).[p]Fill jalapeno halves with cream cheese, then top with a cocktail wiener. Put the two halves together and wrap the whole thing with a piece of bacon. Secure the loose end of the bacon with a toothpick.
    Sprinkle a liberal amount of DP Red Eye Express rub all over the surface of the bacon. Place ABT's on a rack over a drip pan.[p]Cooking Directions:
    • Stabilize BGE at 350 degrees. Place drip pan and rack of ABT's on a raised grid and cook for about 40 minutes. Turn them over to crisp up bottom side of bacon and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes.[p]Optional : add apple, oak or hickory chunks to fire before placing ABT's in the egg. (I don’t consider this to be an option, but rather mandatory. These can take a good bit of smoke, so 2 or 3 fist-sized chunks isn’t too much).[p]Hints :[p]First, getting the right size jalapeno is important. You want it long enough for the smokey to fit but not too long so you don't get a piece of the smokey in all pieces you cut. I cut mine in 3 pieces which makes good size finger snacks.
    Second, use only the thin cut bacon. I get the cheapest bacon I can find for these.
    Third, I wrap the bacon starting from the pointed end of the jalapeno. Lay the bacon on the starting point and stick a toothpick in just enough to hold the bacon (not all the way through). Wrap the bacon around the entire jalapeno without overlapping too much. If you get to the end and you have excess bacon, it's best to cut it off so you don't have overlapping. Stick a second toothpick all the way through the jalapeno at the end point. Now, stick the first toothpick (at the starting point) all the way through as well. Stick a third toothpick all the way through at the center of the jalapeno. This third toothpick is important not just for a handle but it holds the smoky in place while you cut the ABT into thirds.
    Fourth, I put the DP Red Eye Express on as heavy as I possibly can. Cover the entire thing with as much as it will hold. I sprinkle this on over a paper towel laid flat, and, when I'm done I funnel the unused rub back into the jar. It goes much faster this way as opposed to trying to be real neat.
    Lastly, I've found that a teaspoon works best to remove the seeds and veins from the jalapenos.
    I'd advise you to use a drip pan so the bacon drippings don't go onto the coals. This creates a lot of foul-smelling smoke that will adversely affect the taste of the ABT's. [p]This is a lot of words, but it's really pretty simple. I've made hundreds and hundreds of these using this method. I’ve tried different rubs as well, but I believe the Red Eye Express is the perfect “fit” for these sensational snacks.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    dimplesmom,
    you can see the entire picumentary process of the way I do them on my website, if youd like...[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • dixee6
    dixee6 Posts: 17
    Wess my hats off to you the way you did your picumentary. i might try that myself soon since i've never even had an ABT. i gotta have pictures you know.........ha ha!
  • dimplesmom,[p]The plastic gloves and face mask can be very important especially if you are doing them inside. I have found it effects my breathing and eyes watering less if I clean the inside of the peppers outside.
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    LOL,

I've gotten pepper juice in my eyes so many times it no longer bothers me. LOL I guess I don't have to worry about mcae either.
  • CJ
    CJ Posts: 50
    dimplesmom,
    You've already received some good advice...here are a few of my thoughts:
    - I use a melon baller to scrape out the seeds and 'web'.
    - If I'm using cocktail sausage I put the cream cheese in
    the pepper first.If you do the sausage first it wants to
    slip around when adding the cheese.
    - room temperature cheese is much easier to spread.
    - Unless you like a lot of 'fat', use thin bacon, and par
    boiling also makes it less 'greasy' to wrap. And a half
    piece (cut lenghwise) is plenty, and easier to wrap.

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    egret,[p]How 'hot' are these? Also, I'm making for a crowd. This recipe sounds like I'll end up with 36 pieces. I guess I need to double or triple. How many will one person usually eat?[p]Gwen
  • Q-rious Tom
    Q-rious Tom Posts: 116
    The Naked Whiz,[p]Take the gloves OFF before using the bathroom![p]Tom

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    2005191411.jpg
    <p />dimplesmom,
    you can cook them direct raised grill, indirect on a raised grill, in a pan, on a griddle plate, perforated plate, etc. they just come out good. if direct maybe 275, indirect a little hotter. they take a little time so you want to have your system worked out. cut all of them at one time either in half or spit one side. wear gloves the whole time. you can scoop them out in a sink full of fresh water, scooping under the water and rinse them off under running water. when packing the cheese mixture, make sure to keep you gloves wet as the cheese wont stick to them,this makes things much cleaner and faster. i cut the bacon in half while in the package. stretching the bacon and then wrap and it will stay together for the most part with no toothpicks. these were cheese and vadella slices, stuff them a few different ways so you have an assortment. mix spice in with the cream cheese and add some grated cheese of your choice. lots of ways to make them. they are only hot if you leave the seeds and inner ribs in them, otherwise they are very sweet. i dont flip them on the grate, and the tops will cook faster if you can get them closer to the dome.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it