Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Sauce

Options
Mark0525
Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
Happy fathers day to all the fathers out there!!!!
I'm looking for a kick a** BBQ sauce.  If I had to pick a store bought sauce that is the type I'm looking for it would be Baby Sweet Rays but I want it to be 1000 times better  :)  I know I could search the forums but I want the most current feedback I can get.  Thanks for your help.

Mark

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    We like bone suckin sauce, blues hog, head country, sweet sauce o mine amongst others. There are a of of great sauces out there born Tom the BBQ circuit. 
  • konablue50
    konablue50 Posts: 81
    Options
    I swear by this recipe and will not switch. People I work with absolutely go nuts over it and ask all the time for me to bring some in

• 1c Ketchup
    • 2/3c Brown Sugar
    • 1/2c Beer
    • 1/2c Soda
    • 1/3c Real Maple Syrup or Molasses
    • 6oz Tomato Paste
    • 3 tbs Mustard
    • 3 tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
    • 1 tbs Sea Salt
    • 1 tbs Dry Mustard
    • 1 tbs Worcestershire Sauce
    • 1 tbs Garlic Powder
    • 1 tbs Onion Powder
    • 2 tsp Thyme
    • 1 tsp Black Pepper
    • 1 tsp Paprika
    • 1/2 tsp Cayenne

Gordon
    South Florida
  • Mark0525
    Options
    Konablue sounds really good.  What kind of soda do u put in? Cola?  Also if I delete the thyme would it change the taste that much?
  • Mark0525
    Options
    Richard, that one really sounds good also.  Tough choice.  Might have to make half recipes of each :)
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    +1 on the blues hog. But only on ribs.  I don't like the way it tastes on anything else. Not sure why.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • konablue50
    konablue50 Posts: 81
    Options
    Mark0525 said:
    Konablue sounds really good.  What kind of soda do u put in? Cola?  Also if I delete the thyme would it change the taste that much?

It's addictive believe me! I just use coke, it's not for the flavor as much as it is for the sugar. For beer I've always used Corona but whatever you prefer and I use real maple syrup instead of the molasses. I've made it with molasses and it still tastes dam good. I've thought about using Maple Bourbon instead for my next batch and see what happens. You could delete the thyme, i will say you can tell thyme is in it but it will still taste just as good. I usually add more things to play with it after the base recipe is made. I'll add some liquid smoke or more heat. Sometimes I'll want it more sweet and add more brown sugar or honey.
    Gordon
    South Florida
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    If you are a sweet baby rays fan, I think this is next level..
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    Our best two bottled sauces are Blues Hog Regular and Rob's Frog Sauce.  

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Mark0525 said:
    I'm looking for a kick a** BBQ sauce.
    Yo... I assume, from your avatar that you're a Raiders fan?  ...If so I suggest that you just char your meat till it sorta looks like the charcoal you used to cook it and then put ketchup on it. :rofl: 

BTW, what's your take on the Raiders & Chargers movin' to L.A. ...gonna happen?
    San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    I am a big fan of Fat Bastards hawgwash and bear bite
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    Getting ready to put some Dead Guy Sauce on some pulled pork for dinner today. This is a pretty good balance between the heavy vinegar sauces and the super sweet sauces. Very simple to make too.

https://theshoeboxkitchen.wordpress.com/2010/07/05/pulled-pork-sliders/
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Mark0525
    Options
    UncleFred said:
    Mark0525 said:
    I'm looking for a kick a** BBQ sauce.
    Yo... I assume, from your avatar that you're a Raiders fan?  ...If so I suggest that you just char your meat till it sorta looks like the charcoal you used to cook it and then put ketchup on it. :rofl: 

BTW, what's your take on the Raiders & Chargers movin' to L.A. ...gonna happen?
    LOL been a huge Raider fan for 43 yrs now.  I'm hoping that the move wont happen.  They're trying to work it out with the city of Oakland.  Thanks everyone for their input.
  • RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    @Mark0525  I grew up in the bay I'll always be a Raider fan! I'm with you on staying put! good luck with the sauce
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Rrrrrrrrraaaaaaiiiidddeeerrrsss!
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    Options
    On local sports talk radio one of the "threats" they recently floated to keep the Chargers in town was that if they went to L.A. with the Rams then the Raiders might come HERE!!  That would be like the Vikings or the Bears moving to Green Bay.
    I don't know if the acrimony in the local press between the team and the politicians is real or an orchestrated dance but polls are showing that the Chargers aren't gaining any points with the public.

San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.