Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time LBGE owner here!

Options
Just picked up my first BGE and I am stoked for the journey I am about to embark on. Quick question, I'm sure it has been asked, but there is no easy way to sift through all of the different threads...

I guess my first question (of probably many I will have) is how do you get the temperature to where you want it and keep it there? Links, advice, answers, etc., would be great! Thanks!
Little Elm, Tx
LBGE

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited June 2015
    Options
    First, welcome to the machine! The cost to get in is way less than the cost to stay in. You will understand, trust me.
    Your question on temp control, is practice, practice practice. It is better to monitor your temp on the way up and make the adjustments to keep it where you want it. It is certainly much more difficult to control once it surpasses the desired temp.
    For me (XLBGE) the bottom vent is the key. The daisy wheel will dial it in close but the bottom vent I think will have the greatest impact on temp control.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • BigJonMoo73
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! I think the problem I had, with the temp control, was due to completely opening the bottom vent to start. Couldn't get it to go back down... I'll make sure I start slow and adjust from there.

Does it matter how much charcoal you fill your BGE up with or does the temperature all depend on the vents?
    Little Elm, Tx
    LBGE
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited June 2015
    Options
    For me, the more air, the hotter the fire. I do low and slows around 225F, with a full firebox, so I won't run out, it is more about controlling air flow to regulate temperature.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    The amount does not matter at all. Here is two very rough gauges for temp. No top with roughly 1/2 inch gap on bottom from fully closed is 350. Put the daisy wheel on and close the petals half way is 250. Burn a bag of lump and learn temps. Start with a crack at the bottom and 1/2 daisy petals and work up. 30 minutes between changes at least. Have something to do like housework or a car to detail. This takes time. Small adjustments--1/8 inch. Get to know it. Cheap investment.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Welcome and enjoy the ride!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • BigJonMoo73
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    The amount does not matter at all. Here is two very rough gauges for temp. No top with roughly 1/2 inch gap on bottom from fully closed is 350. Put the daisy wheel on and close the petals half way is 250. Burn a bag of lump and learn temps. Start with a crack at the bottom and 1/2 daisy petals and work up. 30 minutes between changes at least. Have something to do like housework or a car to detail. This takes time. Small adjustments--1/8 inch. Get to know it. Cheap investment.
    Awesome! I will definitely give those tips a try! I know it definitely has a learning curve but figured I could get some tips to get on the right track. Thanks for the advice!
    Little Elm, Tx
    LBGE
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Welcome. Have fun!!   Just practice your temp control. You'll get the hang of it quick
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
  • QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Options
    Welcome.
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Very perceptive "...picked up my first BGE...".
    What follows is a collection of info that may be of use:

Here’s a link to all things ceramic-chances are if you have a question the answer is within this site somewhere.  Check out the recipe section for some great ideas.http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm 

For additional links to cooking/recipe sites; here are two very good ones, depending what you are cooking:  This site contains a wealth of the science behind Q cooking along with info on about every type of meat cook you would attempt: http://amazingribs.com/Here’s the second one:  http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/ 

After-market toys- With the BGE there are three basic styles of cooking;  “direct”-where the cooking grid is on top of the fire ring; “raised direct”-where the grid is elevated at least to the gasket-line (this setup requires after-market stuff-easiest is to get another grid and then use three fire bricks (or three empty aluminum beer cans) and place them on the grid at the fire ring and then put the second grid on top. The third is “indirect” where there is a heat deflector (platesetter or some other type stone) between the burning lump and the cooking grid.  This is the setup for low&slow long duration cooks.  I would get comfortable playing around with the BGE before any major after-market investments.  Will save you $$ in the long run. 

Some observations-make sure you calibrate your dome thermo-boil some water, then insert the thermo and check the temp.  If not around 210*F, then note the off-set and use the nut on the back to correct.  Then recheck.

Temperature is a controlled by the volume of lump burning.  The volume is controlled by the air-flow thru the BGE.  In thru the bottom vent and out the top.  Make sure when you set it up that the fire box opening is aligned with the lower vent. 

When adjusting the vent(s) to change temperature, the feedback loop can take some time.  Changes in air-flow are reflected in the dome thermo temp.  Don’t chase temperature; +/- 10-15*F is close enough.

“Stable temperature” is a relative term.  Means you haven’t moved the vents and the temperature is steady for anywhere from 30-60 minutes.

That's more than enough for now.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Practice makes perfect

Egg On! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• s_austin_egger
    Options
    Don't lose your eyebrows!  When the egg is hot and you have the air dampers closed you have to "burp" the egg by opening the lid an inch or so and let the air pressure stabilize before fully opening the lid.  Don't just throw open the lid or you'll get a surprise you don't want.  I thinking we've all burned the hair off our arm once or twice by forgetting this.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    @BigJonMoo73

The temperature control sounds sort of complicated at first but it really isn't. You want to lead the temperature as the Egg warms up - I start closing the bottom vent and daisy wheel a bit at a time when I'm within about 30 degrees or so of my target. It's hard to dump heat if you overshoot, and the Egg can get very hot, very fast if you don't catch it.

Once you get a few cooks in, you'll get the hang of it. Enjoy your Egg! 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Building your fire and controlling the temp is by far the most important thing to learn with an egg. Once mastered, you unlock limitless potential for various cooks. The BGE website has tutorials on these things. There is also a temp control thread somewhere on this site with pics etc. which is awesome. Fill the fire box always. Be patient with your adjustments as you are learning. It is not like a gas stove where you fail the heat up or down and it instantly reacts. You must allow time for the subtle adjustments to take hold. Also, remember it is far easier to get he egg hot than it is to lower the temps once it is heated up. Enjoy. 
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Welcome to the addiction!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va