Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoking

Does anyone have a good solution for getting large wood chunks into the coals to replenish smoke if doing a long smoke?  10-12 hours?  I normally run out of smoke around 8 hours and its a pain to pick up the cooking grate and move the plate setter to add wood.
any suggestions?

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    According to those smarter than me (which equates to roughly half of everyone inside a Walmart) you really don't need to as meat quits taking smoke after it reaches 140 degrees internal. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    I've generally found that I don't like smoke on a Butt for that long.
    Usually around 3 hours is the most for me.
    If you want more smoke I would arrange the large chunks to where the fire burns over to them and ignite them mid cook. By doing this you should be able to get the smoke to last for as long as you want it to.
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    I have to agree with Jeremiah.you might soaking your chunks longer or put mote in at the beginning. Good luck to ya.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    @Jeremiah is right, meat will stop taking in smoke at atoms 140 to 150 and there is no need to keep adding wood for smoke.   
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    @Jeremiah  +1
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I am pretty sure meat takes smoke no matter what the whole cook. The chem reaction that makes the smoke ring stops at 140 range but smoke flavor happens the whole time. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Pretty sure it's the smoke RING that stops forming at 140°. Meat will take on more smoke flavor as long as there is smoke.

That said, I throw in 3-4 chunks and let it go. If I run out, I run out.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    Just mix them in.  I put a couple of chunks toward the bottom and close to the edge, away from where I light.  The fire will work its way over to them later.
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    You will continue to get some smoke from the lump. 
    McKinney, TX
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    I've read both... no smoke taken on after a certain point and smoke throughout. If there's some scientific evidence to support either view I'd love to see it. Having said that, in my experience, smoke for the first several hours of a long cook always seems to be enough for me.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Another vote for the smoke ring has a limit with regard to the temp somewhere in the 140-160*F range but the meat will continue to take the smoke flavoring as long as smoke is available.  I'm sure I read that somewhere in this site- http://amazingribs.com/recipes/index.html But I have slept since then and at a Holiday Inn Express.  Happy Father's Day
    :peace: 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Smoke continues to adhere to the meat throughout the cook. However, the rate drops off. Most of the smoke flavor is added in the early part of the cook.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.