Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wrapping meats with butcher paper?

johnnyp
johnnyp Posts: 3,932
there is a growing movement to wrap brisket, not in foil, but in butcher paper.

has anyone tried this on other meats?

maybe 3-2-1 on spare ribs? Or to preserve bark doing a turbo butt?

any feedback is valuable
XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    I want to hear what some have to say about this....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I don't have the time to go in to detail, but I will offer this. If you chose to wrap let's say ribs with paper, it is to your advantage to wait considerably later than you would wrap with foil. The reasons are more than obvious I know, but I thought that I would mention nonetheless for any new guys contemplating wrapping with paper.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited June 2015
    I've done pork ribs and I found that my seasoning stuck to the paper.  Don't recommend but a member had good luck with it.

I posted a turbo butt with paper a couple years ago.  The problem with turbo butts isn't that foil ruins the bark, it's that turbo butts don't have enough time to develop great bark.  You can overcome that with adding sugar to your rub or spritzing with simple syrup mixed with cider.  Foil isnt bad for butts because softening the bark isn't bad since you pull it.  If it was sliced, most wouldn't foil it.

In the egg, paper really isn't needed and is completely different than the cooker Aaron uses.  We don't have a draft and don't lack humidity so don't think it is the secret ingredient.  The fact that Aaron uses better meat than everyone is the secret.  Make a SRF brisket and you'll understand immediately.  His book was great, but you have to take it all with a grain of salt because we're using a different beast.  Myself and others have made incredible food without paper (or foil).  Food for thought.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    It was a good book.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Firemedic183
    Firemedic183 Posts: 197
    I did my first brisket and it was my first time ever using butcher paper...seemed to work pretty good for me.  I recommend it, but I have extremely limited experience (1 cook with butcher paper.)  

Persistence and determination are omnipotent!