Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chipotle

chuckls
chuckls Posts: 399
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ongrill.jpg
<p />My little bottle of home-made chipotle powder was running low, so I got some fresh red jalopenos at Whole Foods when I was there last Saturday.[p]Set up my guru to cook at about 140 degrees. Whaddaya know, my temps hit 300 anyway. I think it's because even if the guru is off, it still gets draft through the little tube. So I closed it with the shutter (very nice design touch) and got this smoke pulled off. Speaking of pulling off, I started smoking these reddies about 10:00 in the morning, and by 5:30 pm I was ready to cook salmon steak, so I finished them in the oven at 180. Mmmm I love chipotle powder in my omlette...[p]These peppers aren't perfect, but the best I could pick out. I cut out the worst parts:[p]fresh.jpg[p]All smoked and dry:[p]dry.jpg[p]I cut the tops off and dumped out the seeds:[p]mortar.jpg[p]The aroma of the ground, smoked peppers is wonderful:[p]ground.jpg[p]My bottle's a bit out of focus, and it's not even half full. Looks like I'll be making more chipotle powder soon![p]bottled.jpg[p]Those are air-dried serrano peppers off to the side. I think they might end up in some Huevos Macho Verde chili later this spring.[p]Happy Eggin'
Chuck

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Hey Chuck,[p]I like that idea. My SmallMart carries a huge variety of peppers.....Hmmm I see a new project in my future.[p]Did you know that if you wrap the Guru's probes together with some tin foil, you can set the meat control to anywheres between 130° to 200° and get more accuracy. The meat control overrides the grate control. This works great for jerky, so it should work for peppers.[p]Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye,
    with ramp mode on or off?

• Porkchop
    Porkchop Posts: 155
    chuckls,
    i do the same thing with jap seeds after i get done making abts. i store the seeds in my freezer until i get a boatload of them, and then smoke dry them. makes excellent smoked chili powder!

• chuckls,
    That looks great! Any reason not to use green jalapenos? I'll have my own red ones in September but all I can get is green at the market.
    Paul

• thirdeye
    guru,[p]Ramp mode on.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• chuckls
    Essex County,[p]I'm no expert but I think I read that the red ones are hotter, and maybe sweeter?? If that makes sense. Maybe one of the experts will chime in. I do know that if you have a green one with a bit of red or orange on it, as it ages it will turn red. That's how I got the red serranos in the picture - they were all green when I bought them.[p]Chuck
  • chuckls
    thirdeye,[p]My guru has only one probe - the other probe is a NuTemp probe so I can see what the grid temp actually is. I'm still learning with the guru - it was a gift from my wife - I've found that sometimes it gets way too hot (like this time), and I also had it lose temp on an overnight butt cook. We both hate to hear the low temp alarm sound in the middle of the night, I think that's why she got it for me. But my last butt cook it went off twice in the night anyway. [p]Happy Eggin'!
    Chuck

• thirdeye
    chuckls,[p]I know as they ripen, they go to red.[p]Here is a link to my favorite pepper site. Great pictures & info.[p]~thirdeye~

[ul][li]Peppers[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• chuckls,[p]Gotcha. So on your model, once you find the sweet spot for the slider, you'll be in business.[p]~thirdeye~

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    chuckls,
    green is hotter, paradoxically. true for most peppers except the small red/orange ones (habs, scotch bonnet, etc.)[p]smaller and green is hottest in general, except for the really hot-hot stuff).[p]i know that for jalapenos, the red means 'ripe', and that's not with regard to heat, but mature seeds. if youwant to plant from saved seeds, you need to let some go all the way to red.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    chuckls,[p]Just a note: my grocer swears that the longer and skinnier a Jalepeno, the more mild the heat. Short fat ones are supposedly hotter. I have sort of tested the theory and it might actually be true, but I'm not totally convinced.[p]Ed
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Essex County,
    I've smoked both red and green ones together and have not noticed much difference. I don't let mine dry out though, once they are all shriveled up and gooey, I vacuum bag and freeze them. Both the heat and smoke flavor is really concentrated. -RP