Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with Chicken Breasts, All these posts...

TheGeeEGG
TheGeeEGG Posts: 7
edited June 2015 in Poultry
We are a fairly "green" crew on our egg. Pardon the pun. This last weekend FINALLY rocked the ribs. My last batch was so delicious and tender, I did not have time to take a picture. I will share the next batch, well the pictures, I'll share the pictures.
Now to the chicken breast. How the heck do you keep them from drying out and having BLAMMO good flavor? Please send me some recipe ideas and guidance!

Comments

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Dried out chicken breasts=over cooked. 

Get a thermapen. 
    NW IOWA
  • TheGeeEGG
    TheGeeEGG Posts: 7
    Wife got me a iGrill with two probes. Temp is now covered.

• buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    We talking boneless skinless?  Butterfly, 400 direct, spice to taste, baste with evoo after sear.  Don't over cook.
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited June 2015
    Second vote for a really good handheld thermo whether the pen or the pop. For a quick readout. 

In regards to the iGrill vs a good handheld they are two different tools. One will monitor during the cook and gets you close and one gives you very accurate temps readings in multiple spots 

And to your original question.  I've found to go a little hotter and faster helps keep the breast more moist.  I generally run in the 425-450 range and raised direct.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2015
    A brine will help give you a little more wiggle room...but I agree the most important thing is to cook to 160 and no more. Also agree a good instant read really helps.  Another tip is to cook skin on bone in split breasts instead of boneless skinless. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    TheGeeEGG said:
    Wife got me a iGrill with two probes. Temp is now covered.

The two probes on my iGrill read 3° apart. Which is more accurate? With something as fussy as chicken breast, I rely on my Thermapen for accuracy. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    As mentioned above, a leave-in thermometer is not a replacement for an accurate instant read.

Here's plenty of explanation on why you want both, along with some reviews.

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/thermometer-reviews-and-ratings

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • andersa
    andersa Posts: 42
    Try skinless boneless chicken thighs instead. Much more forgiving and IMO tastes much better.
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    My first 3 months on the egg I had some great cooks and some, not so much.  Once I started paying specific attention to the actual temperature, it was like Moses parting the Red Sea and allowing me to pass into perfectness. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I don't usually have a problem with breasts unless I get lazy and don't pay attention. Like the other night, I mixed up some new seasoning blend I wanted to try. Got sidetracked and by the time I retrieved the breasts, they were seriously "done"! About 170-175° as I recall. Yes, they were dry! Still tasted good though. In a dry sort of way. :)

And yeah, thighs are easier to get right. I don't think breasts are difficult, you just have to pay closer attention. And I like breasts better.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• rwbbobo
    rwbbobo Posts: 13
    Wings and drumsticks on the BGE then removed an put in large bowl drizzle ah-so sauce on 'em mix around until all coated. Yum yum