Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

St. Louis

Going te be at Fort Leonard Wood for another week, then flying out of St. Louis next Saturday.  Anything cool to see in St. Louis before heading to the airport.  May drive by the arch, looking for a grilling store or something. 

Comments

• scmoose
    scmoose Posts: 164
    Left my blasters at home.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Are we headed down a dirt road here??  Ride the arch tram to the top.  Drink free beer (used to be...) at the Budweiser plant.  Check out Union Station.  Catch a Cardinals game; great stadium even if they are on the fed's hot seat.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

The Arch is cool to say that you have done it.  Good view, but they closed the museum during the renovations.  If you want tickets to go to the top, you need to get them in advance.  I think you pick them up or check in at the Old Court House which is a trip in itself.

The Anheuser Busch Brewery tour is excellent.....and free.  Check that out, then head across the street to Gus's Pretzels.  Our warehouse is just down the street.

The Zoo is the #1 rated in the country and free.  They just opened the new polar bear exhibit that shares the penguin/puffin coast.  Great place to hang out since it's 40F in there. 

Also in Forest Park, the Art Museum, Science Center, and Missouri History Museum.  All free, but if you only want to pick one, just hit the History Museum if you want to see all the 1904 World's Fair Memorabilia.

Best place to hit if you're downtown and have already been to the Zoo, Missouri Botanical Gardens.  Absolutely beautiful and plants from about every climate in the world.

City Museum is great for kids, but if you're over 30 y/o or 180#, you're going to get hurt or stuck in there.  I didn't realize how old I got until a week ago when I took the kids there--last time I went was in my early 20's.

If you want to venture out a little further, Grant's Farm is on the Busch Family estate.  Free tours of the huge wildlife reserve, Clydesdale farm, etc.  Elephants, turtles, antelope, deer, horses, feed the baby goats, and more.

If you're headed out I-44, get off at Hwy 141 in Fenton.  Take the outer road to the World Bird Sanctuary and Lone Elk Park.  Eagles, hawks, falcons, plus Bison, Elk, and more......and both free.  Next exit is Antire Rd and the Endanger Wolf Center.  Pricey, but it all goes to the wolves.  Further out I-44 at Gray Summit exit is the Shaw Nature Valley Reserve (part of the Botanical Gardens) and Purina Farms.

Skip Meramec Caverns at the Stanton exit, and hit Onondaga Cave at the Leasburg exit (20 minutes further.)  It's much better and a fraction of the price.  No neon lights, movie theaters, jeep rides......it's a state park and kept natural.

• I second the Zoo, much of it is free.  The Magic House for little ones is good.  Pappy's Smokehouse is worth the line.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Stop by Rockwood Charcoal and look at the ripped bags, small pieces and dust....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I heard there is a data collection room in Busch stadium which receives info from Florida about other MLB teams. Could be insightful?
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Basically what @stlcharcoal said. As far as BBQ, if interested, pappys, bogarts, and sugar fire are great. Wash ave has some good night life, stay away from the landing. I work at the fort a few months out of the year and anywhere has more to do than St. Robert
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    The hill for Italian?
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    The hill for Italian?
    Yep.
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • scmoose
    scmoose Posts: 164
    Only going to be there for a couple of hours before my flight leaves.  All of the above sound right up my ally if I was staying there. 
  • stlcharcoal
    henapple said:
    Stop by Rockwood Charcoal and look at the ripped bags, small pieces and dust....

I don't even have that in stock......warehouse is pretty empty this time of year.

I did make about 2-lbs of super fine charcoal powder in my VitaMix today for top secret R&D stuff.

• stlcharcoal
    scmoose said:
    Only going to be there for a couple of hours before my flight leaves.  All of the above sound right up my ally if I was staying there. 

If you're going to eat and want BBQ, Sugarfire is probably the safest bet in that area.  It's really good for "restaurant BBQ".  I think everyone here can make better BBQ on a BGE than most restaurants. 

I wouldn't make the trip for Pappy's.  It's ok, but not STL style BBQ.  It's Memphis style and it got popular when it was just about the only BBQ restaurant in STL that wasn't some dump in a really bad part of town.  They were on Travel Channel which made it a destination place and everybody rants and raves about how it's the "best BBQ in STL"....and it was the only BBQ place they've ever been in STL.  Not trying to knock the place too bad here, but it's like if I went to KC and said some BBQ place that made vinegar slaw or white sauce BBQ was the best in KC.

Now that BBQ is hip, there's a place on every corner.  I've never been to Bogart's or Salt+Smoke, but I hear they are very good.  Like I said, Sugarfire is pretty good--the innovative sides, desserts, dozen different sauces, etc make the place worth the trip.

My favorite places are still the dives in the scary parts of town.  Roper's Ribs, RibShack, etc.......all true STL style BBQ.  Ribs with very little smoke or rub drenched in ketchupy BBQ sauce then cooked again.  That's what I grew up on.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Don't forget the Pro Bowler's Hall Of Fame, where you can see Earl Anthony's bowling ball, and toss a few down the lanes of previous champions.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    +1 on The Hill for Italian.  We ate in a place that was in a remodeled Victorian house or something similar.  The toasted ravioli were outstanding.  Wife wanted to lick the plate, but I got to it first.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    henapple said:
    I'm glad you brought this up.  I have about 600 lbs. of the small pieces and dust right now.  Will it splode like grain dust if I try to light it?  =)

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE