Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how clean when cleaning surface for new gasket

Options

I have an XL and am trying to clean the old gasket off. I have removed the gasket with a razor blade scraper but can't seem to get the surface clean with the razor blade scraper and acetone.  I can get it pretty smooth to the finger touch and in some places down to the ceramic. But a lot of it does not want to clean all the way and still has areas of black.  How do you clean it and what do you use and how clean do you get it.  I thought about a palm sander but not sure if that would work without hurting ceramic.

All suggestions and comments on how clean will be appreciated. 

I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston

Comments

• Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    You can use a 3M brand rust and paint stripper that will go into a drill.  I just did mine a couple days ago and this works great.  Do not use a wire brush on drill.
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I used a straight edge razor to scrape off the gasket, then I used rubbing alcohol (though acetone or mineral spirits would be better) and used a clean cloth to remove any adhesive residual left on the ceramic.

The Naked Whiz website goes further on this, If you need 'further' I'd check out their site.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Bentgrass said:
    You can use a 3M brand rust and paint stripper that will go into a drill.  I just did mine a couple days ago and this works great.  Do not use a wire brush on drill.
    +1. That is how I did mine as well. Just dont get too carried away when using it, it is very effective lightly brushing the surface.
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I know this will cause shock and horror to a lot of guys, but I use clear PVC pipe cleaner. I know the stuff can kill you, but it is approved to clean PVC pipe used for drinking water.
    The cleaner does a great job.
    It has acetone and MEK solvent if memory serves me.
    The cleaner will completely evaporate. When it is totally dry you apply the new gasket.

• B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    Not a scientist here but I would be very nervous using strong chemicals to clean the ceramics of the egg.  Just like BGE states to not use lighter fluid on the egg because it is absorbed by the ceramics and will off flavor the food.  If you want an example when you have the fire box out pour just a bit of water on the clean whitish ceramic and watch it get absorbed very quickly.  Acetone and PVC cleaner would be absorbed just as quickly.

I use the 3M paint stripper brush mentioned above, a picture of which can be found on Naked Wiz site about replacing a rutland gasket.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • BeerNBBQ
    BeerNBBQ Posts: 31
    Options
    IF you really want to get it completely clean to the ceramic, I used a pumice stone after using a rotary wirebrush. I think that's suggested on the naked whiz site. For the record, I replaced my gasket with a flat rutland gasket.
    Braselton, GA.
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    +1 on pumice stone.  I picked one up at Lowes for about $3.

I scraped off the remaining gasket with a razor then scrubbed it with a pumice stone.  Probably took about 15-20 minutes total, and mine looked like clean new ceramic.  It was actually easier than I thought.

also, +1 on no solvents on the egg.  
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • GregW
    Options
    Evaporation is my friend
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Evaporation will occur with acetone and MEK, the key is the determination of how long it will take. Most people, use the sense of smell, and that is as unhealthy as it it is a poor manner for evaluation. LMW hydrocarbons do two things very, very well; penetrate and evaporate. Just how much gets trapped in the substrate is the issue. Not too worried about most acetone mixes per se, however MEK, depending on the blends, would be the cause for concern.
    Be careful. Your family eats your food too.
    Peace my brother egger.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

I always heat up an egg first before stripping the gasket.  Use a scraper, hit it with a heat gun or torch, then the scraper again.  Anything left over (which won't be much) will come off with that paint/rust wheel.  Use some rubbing alcohol to get any of the dust, and you're ready to roll.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options

I always heat up an egg first before stripping the gasket.  Use a scraper, hit it with a heat gun or torch, then the scraper again.  Anything left over (which won't be much) will come off with that paint/rust wheel.  Use some rubbing alcohol to get any of the dust, and you're ready to roll.

+100%
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    +1 on the pumice stone after scraping off the old gasket.  Surface was as you describe.  Put on the Rutland, two years ago.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • GregW
    Options
    The Rutland from RRP is one of the best purchases I have made in a while.
    It looks like the Rutland will last forever.
  • rwbbobo
    rwbbobo Posts: 13
    Options
    I used a razor, scraper, and acetone with clean rag. It still had some stain on the surface but. I put the new gasket on and it's still there after several cooks