Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Father's Day Cook- question about transport of Ribeye Roast

Options
so I followed @nibblemethis method on my last cook and it turned out great imo... pics below.

I have been asked to cook again but this time i have to transport it to the In Laws.

any suggestions or input on hold times?  i was going to follow everything i did the first time - take it to the same temp then sear, etc....

was a little worried about the texture after ftc - not so much the temp ..  anyone have any thoughts on how long would be ideal to hold?  i thought worst case i could sear it again at the inlaws or no?  we are getting there at 3pm and dinner time is up for debate.

btw- the hunk of meat was 75 bucks @ costco... holy crap is beef getting up there.  the piece i bought in march was 8.99lb.... yesterday it was 10.99!

Comments

• XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Options
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    edited June 2015
    Options
    A factor is "how long is the transport time-wise..." as that could influence the finish temp.  
    Edit:  Those beef prices are making Snake River Farms look even better-and no I don't work for them but their beef is worth it!  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I would think about cooking until a little rarer. Then sear on site. Not sure on drive time. Or. Sear and hold and arrive in time to serve. Personally i would choose option 1
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2015
    Options
    How long is the drive to the inlaws?  I like the plan of searing it at the inlaws.  I don't think I would sear it twice- just roast it on the egg, wrap it, then sear it when you get there.  I agree with @Jstroke you might want to pull it of the egg below your target temp if you are going to wrap in foil and transport.  You will have more carry over heat if you wrap it in foil.  Another option is to let it rest/cool a bit before you wrap and transport.  Good luck!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• XLBalco
    Options
    drive is about 20 mins or so..
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Given the short drive time I am in total agreement with the above. I would not figure that into any cook decisions, so it now comes down to "how long before you eat after you arrive with the prize".  Given that number will be greater than zero I would cook shorter than the desired finish temp and use the clock box if that's the only option, to get where you want for the slice and serve.  If you want the crust then sear early and no foil during the ride/hold to the finish-line event.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • XLBalco
    Options
    Gotcha.  Thanks.  Probably gonna eat an hour after arriving  I would assume.  I think I will just sear oncw we are there. Both options sound doable. Thanks for the tips
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    I'd do what ever your going or want to do at home and wrap it and take cast iron skillet with you and about 30 minute s before time to eat, pre heat there oven to the temp that you cook at once at temp put that meat in the oven covered in one layer of lettuce leaves for5/ 10 minutes and you should be good to go.