Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dual Function Metal Top

RDU-Hoo
RDU-Hoo Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'd like to know how the owners of the dual function metal tops like them. I've got a daisy wheel top now and I'm wondering if I'd get better temp control with a dual function. Thanks.[p]Go Hoos!

Comments

• Jimbo
    Jimbo Posts: 44
    RDU-Hoo,[p]I have both - a dual function top and a daise wheel. I hardly ever use the dual top. The main reason is that when you open the egg, the opening changes! If you have it set perfectly, say open 1" then open the lid to turn the meat, you have to re-set the opening. This becomes a real pain as the daisy wheel stays put when you open and clost the lid.[p]If you still want one, you can buy mine - it's hardly used. I go either the daisy wheel or no top at all.[p]Jimbo
  • RDU-Hoo,[p] I bought my BGE before the dual function thingy existed but I've got a daisy top and a slide top. I use the daisy mostly for smoking, but it works up to about 400F. IMO it gives you a bit more control over the low temps. The slide top works up to about 550-600F, and I use it for just about anything I'm grilling or baking. For high-temp cooking, I usually don't use any top. I could probably get by with just the slide top, but it's cool to have extra toys . . .[p] Temperature control seems to be more affected by the position of the bottom vent. In fact, several people on the forum don't use a top at all, relying solely on the bottom vent to maintain temperature.[p]MikeO
  • Jimbo,[p] If you line the slide top up perpendicular to the way the BGE opens, it won't change positions when you raise the dome. TimM has a picture on his website. See the link below.[p]MikeO
    [ul][li]TimM on using the slide/daisy[/ul]
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    RDU-Hoo, I will offer a different perspective. I have the dual top and love it. I use it as a slide top for most cooking but when I want to really trim the temperature down with a few degrees (say 300 rather than 315) I use the dasiy wheel since it gives me finer adjustments. They're right when they say the daisy wheel changes when you open the top (although you can minimize it by having the pivot point at the front) but it's easy enough to set back to the same setting. And besides you're not supposed to be opening the top all that often anyway. If I did not already have a the dual or daisy wheel I would probably use a series of 1 pound coffee cans with different amounts of holes pierced thorough the top. (There's sort of a simplistic elegance to solving problems without spending money.)

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Pizza_06_21_0018_03_01_small.jpg
    <p />RDU-Hoo, I only have the daisy top and have found that it works perfectly about 95% of the time - the other 5% when I'm looking for a top with more air flow I use a firebrick - a trick I learned from Spin! [p]With the firebrick alternative, keep a pair of gloves handy and don't open the dome without moving the firebrick.

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ [/ul]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    msdaisy.jpg
    <p />RDU-Hoo,[p]The slide daisy vs just a daisy wheel top is an easy choice - slide daisy since it does all the daisy wheel does plus more. The only down side is that the daisy top is a better finished product with its powder coating, the slide daisy has a thinner coating of high temp stove paint I think. That's no real difference so get a slide daisy if you don't have any top, it's a harder choice when you have a daisy already. I have never even used my daisy since I got the slide daisy because it controls temps from 200-700deg with little lower vent adjustment. If you do a lot of grilling in the 350-450 range or do pizza at 575-600 then a slide daisy is really handy. If you do 90% under 350 deg then stick with your daisy. I just can't seem to see why one would use a firebrick when the top is available and won't fall off.[p]As far as the slide daisy top moving when the dome is opened - that is just a matter of learning how to use the top and I have a link below that goes to my website to show how easily is done. Mine does not move a milimeter when I open it.[p]Tim
  • Tim M
    slide-daisy.jpg
    <p />Tim M,
    Sorry - forgot the link to this set of pictures on the last post - so I'll just post this now. By rotating the slide daisy top you can open the dome and it won't move an inch.[p]Tim

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Tim M,[p]For pizza I prefer using 1/3rd of a firebrick for temperature control for only one reason. An open top is the fastest way to regain cooking temp after the dome has been opened to insert the pie. Quickly regaining dome temp is important for the toppings to be finished when the crust is done. The firebrick heats much slower and is much easier to remove than a BGE top. Falling off is not a problem. I need to top open once the pie is in, so I always remember to remove it prior to opening.[p]I used the slide/combo top twice for making pizza. Both times I had temp control problems as I am used to the daisey and never remembered to check and readjust to top. I do feel the toppings were not as done as I hoped.[p]I can see where the slide/combo can be very useful.[p]Spin
  • Tim M
    Spin,[p]I did two 13" pies last night and I still find the wide open slide/daisy to be the top of choice for me. It holds temps right around 575-625 with the bottom vent wide open so there is no chance of runaway temps. No chance the top will fall off and break anything if you just forget its there, don't laugh, remember all the posts here from folks who used the green rain caps for chimney control and they fell off when they forgot to remove them first? You don't need to even touch the top during a pizza cook until you're ready to shut it down and then it has a wire handle - or just close it and the fire goes out. I can understand that in a crunch you could use a brick, sheet metal, a rock, the rain cap, etc but why would you "want" to and why promote it?[p]Tim
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Tim M,[p]Your last sentence seems to read like you are speaking as a representative of the BGE Company. My apologies for this comment, but I did answer your question of why anyone would use a firebrick in full, and promoted nothing. Nor did I recommend anything.[p]As you explained, you like the pizza you make using BGE's slider/combo top. I have no fault with your method and the setup you use.[p]As I explained, I like the pizza I make using a 1/3rd firebrick. No crunch here as I was using this method before I ever made the first high temp pizza cook post.[p]Spin[p]

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Tim M, I think I have to side with Spin - I don't have a slide top and have no current intentions of getting one - the daisy works great and when I need more of an opening than the daisy and less tha 100% - the firebrick works great! [p]BTW: I'm not promoting it - just offering it as an alternative - something that I have found that works.