Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT(ish) - Where to eat in Austin

Options
Hello All,
Since moving into my new job I've had a chance to try a number of great BBQ restaurants in the Midwest. Currently Q39, Joe's, Bogarts, Sugarfire, and Pappys are among the favorites. I've also started to get integrated into the KCBS circuit here in Wisconsin, so I'm getting a bit of a sense of what the local scene is like. In November I'll have my first chance to travel to Austin and I'm really excited to dig into some great Texas BBQ. My question is this: where should I go?

I'll probably have most of one day and one evening completely to myself, and 3-4 additional evenings with some work obligations/constraints. I will probably not have a car (although I could potentially rent one for the one day I have on my own). I'm not overly concerned about budget, but I have to be judicious with my time. I'll get up early, and stay up late for great BBQ, but I can only in in one place at a time.

I know some of the big names, but if I only have one day is it really worth spending half of it standing in line???

Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated!

Cheers -
B_B
Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Yes it is for Franklins. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    Options
    Austin has great Cars to Go program if you stay inside the loop. Plenty of good bbq there Franklins is an experience I seen Iron Works mentioned a couple of times lately and I agree, it good   Styles Switch on N Lamar is usually good and not so crowded
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • s_austin_egger
    Options
    La barbecue. On east cesar chavez brisket
    Mueller bbq on e 6th beef ribs 
    Also really liking Blacks on Barton springs.   New place putting out some damn good cue 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    If you have a full day do Franklins. I can't recommend it enough. La Barbecue was good and the wait wasn't too bad, but Franklins was worlds better. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    Post again when you get closer to the trip if you want company.  Lots of us here in Austin and I've never been to most of those places.
  • platypusrex
    platypusrex Posts: 225
    Options
    I had La Barbque for the first time Thursday. It was great, probably can't make a brisket any better, but the meat Franklin uses is better. Franklin is absolutely worth the wait.

By the way kids, it's Franklin, not Franklins.
    LBGE, platesetter, Stoker wifi, StokerX Mac software, Pit Pal for iOS, @HerringBigEgg on Twitter, joined forum in 2008
    Austin, TX
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Franklin is the bomb diggity.  Well worth the wait.  Stubbs sucked IMHO.  Not worth the trip.  Lockhart had an awesome and unique feel with Blacks BBQ and Smitty's.  Blacks had better quality food in my opinion, but the smoke room at Smitty's was beyond cool.  
  • Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 479
    Options
    Legume said:
    Post again when you get closer to the trip if you want company.  Lots of us here in Austin and I've never been to most of those places.

Agreed. Know the dates yet?
    Austin, TX
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    If you want to try something other than BBQ, Qui is absolutely fantastic.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Thanks guys; I'm even more excited than I already was!

The conference I'm coming down for is Nov 5-7 which is a Thur, Fri, Sat. I'm figuring I'll fly down on Tuesday and get in fairly late. That gives me dinner on Tuesday (maybe) all day Wednesday and limited time (probably dinner only; if I'm lucky) during the conference. I'll probably fly back home on Sunday and depending on when I can get flights I might get a breakfast and/or lunch then as well.

I will definitely post a similar message closer to game time and it would be awesome to meet some of you guys. Soounds like the consensus is for spending a morning with a good book waiting to get some lunch at Franklin. I've heard they make a killer green salad, so I want to get there before they run out of green goddess dressing (haha!).

While I definitely want to have as much BBQ as I can I'd be interested in some other options as well. Surprisingly the mexican food up in Madison, WI is not nearly as good as I used to get in San Diego, so that might be a welcome option. I seem to remember a thread from a month or so ago that was all about Mexican joints in Austin.

Thanks again guys, all of the input is much appreciated.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Regarding Franklins, get in line before 0830-0900 and your wait should be under the roof overhang. Go later, and you will probably be waiting out in the open parking lot. There is an area under the stairwell with donated chairs free to use. The brisket and the beans are must try items. They have coffee, beer, and restrooms available for use while you wait for the doors to open.
    Gittin' there...
  • Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    Options
    For interior Mexican try Curras Grill on Ortorf just south of downtown. Really good and not typical  TexMex They have an avocado margarita that is killer
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone