Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Idea for a cook but never done anything like it, seeking advice.

Options
Howdy all.

I've never done anything involving a bacon weave wrap or stuffing.

I'd like to stuff a pork tenderloin with mozzarella and spinach, then wrap the tenderloin in a bacon weave.

Would you cook this direct or indirect? Dome temp?

Done tenderloins before but never done a stuffed or bacon wrapped. Wasn't sure if the added elements to the equation would change how one would cook it.

A week in and my XL is treating me great. Done a few spatchcock chickens, some seared ribeyes, some BBQ pork tenderloins and sausage, peppers and onions on hoagies last night. Sorry for not having a bunch of pictures but it was just generic grilling and figured it wasn't worth posting up.

Smoking my first pork shoulder next week, I'll be sure to get pictures of that.

Any words of wisdom on this bacon weave tenderloin is appreciated. :smiley: 

Many thanks.
Dinner Is Coming
Brace yourself,
DinnerIsComing
 XLBGE
22" Weber Kettle
Weber Spirit E-310 Propane Gasser
The Webers make for nice Eggcessory storage bins!

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    I've done bacon wrapped (weave) meatloaf and did it raised direct with a dome temp of about 350*. I think the pork tenderloin would work just fine the same way.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I've done a bacon weave and find the biggest challenge is getting the bacon crispy. For that reason I would recommend simply wrapping in bacon and using a raised direct technique at 400. This way you can turn and get the bacon crispy.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • DinnerIsComing
    Options
    Thanks, I wasn't sure if the bacon would throw the cook off to make sure it was cooked properly. It might sound like a silly question but I'm very OCD and am my own worst critic so I try to micromanage as much as possible. I love experimenting but I hate feeling like I wasted money.

Tried to do bourbon glazed pork chops the other night and I'm glad I didn't baste the chops and opted to have it as a dipping side. The chops were delicious on their own but the glaze was awful. Some random Internet recipe I found and all it did was waste perfectly good whiskey!
    Brace yourself,
    DinnerIsComing
     XLBGE
    22" Weber Kettle

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    All great suggestions so far. 

Mozzarella cheese melts very well. Because of this, It will be difficult keeping the cheese from oozing out. I would suggest using a cheese that melts differently like a feta or a goat cheese so you can retain more of it inside. 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    @DinnerIsComing, if you don't already have one, get an instant read thermo; it's one accessory you will/should use often.

The thermapen seems to be the most popular one.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I have an instant read pen and a dual probe wireless remote thermometer. Thanks for the suggestion. I really need to get a rig to raise the grid but funds are coming up short for new grill toys and SWMBO would like to see things die down.

I think I'll go the poor man's route with fire bricks until I can get an AR setup. 
    Brace yourself,
    DinnerIsComing
     XLBGE
    22" Weber Kettle

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Nothing wrong with the "poor man's" route at all! 
    Options
    ive had difficulty getting a good temp reading even with the expensive thermapen with these. if i see 135 fo a minute second on the gage its off the grill and resting, they overcook extremely fast so theres no time to fool around, be ready for it and react. i would try a loin first, a little easier with the stuffing and cook
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Here is a nice tenderloin.  Usually there are two to a package, I just use both and place end to opposite end.  Wrapping is bacon weave is a nice touch.

Tenderloin:
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1170242&catid=1

Loin:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=457044&catid=1
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    I've done a bacon weave and find the biggest challenge is getting the bacon crispy. For that reason I would recommend simply wrapping in bacon and using a raised direct technique at 400. This way you can turn and get the bacon crispy.
    +1
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I've done a bacon weave and found the flavor too over powering for the meat.  Looks cool but I won't be doing it again.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Tenderloin does not need stuffing, IMO. Pork loin is large enough to stuff and wrap, tenderloin is good wrapped - no weave required. I wrap a tenderloin just before it hits the grill with bacon that has been nuked to drive off some of the mmoisture. I sear it first then cook it indirect until the internal is around 140ºF. If the bcaon stil needs some crisping - hit it with a torch. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    Here's the link to mine -- came out great.   Raised indirect with a drip pan.  

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1172406/sunday-stuffed-pork-loin-lots-and-lots-o-pix#latest
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    All great advice so far.  I would agree that a loin might be a better choice for the stuffing and weave.  I have seen some great stuffed tenderloins that Little Stephen did though.  I think he used like 4 tenderloins and overlapped them. 

If you decide to go with a loin here is a great vid that shows how to cut it using the "cut and roll" method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jVuC60Z3xw

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DinnerIsComing
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. Think I'll go with the loin to make stuffing easier!
    Brace yourself,
    DinnerIsComing
     XLBGE
    22" Weber Kettle