Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Beer Can Chicken...Direct or in-Direct heat?

Uncle PhilUncle Phil Posts: 665
edited 7:24PM in EggHead Forum
It's been a while and I forgot. How should I do tonight's chicken?[p]Phil
·

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 45
    Uncle Phil,
    I do Chickens direct

·
  • I've done indirect and they came out delicious.
    ·
  • JethroJethro Posts: 495
    Jason,[p]I'll throw in another vote for direct, but would be shooked if people don't do it indirect as well.[p]Regards,
    Jethro

·
  • ChubbyChubby Posts: 2,938
    P4130114.jpg
    <p />Uncle Phil,[p]I do them direct...but with a pieplate underneath
    to catch the dripping juices!![p]Soooo...I do them sort'a direct...indirectly!![p]Chubby

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
    ·
  • egginatoregginator Posts: 568
    Jethro,[p]I've done both. With indirect you can use a drip pan spaced up off the plate setter. In theory, this way the drippings don't burn and you get less grease smoke. This is important if you are cooking during a burn ban.
    Ed

·
  • NessmukNessmuk Posts: 251
    Chubby,
    Looks just like the fowl I cook...indirect.[p]I make sure the Spanek holds the neck are open. This becomes a flue for heat. Thus the birds cook inside out & outide in.[p]I cook at 225 to 250 with spritz once each hour...olive oil & apple juice are my favorite fluids.[p]

·
    Nessmuk,[p]I agree !![p]Sometimes I simmer garlic and lemon peel in olive oil, (shove a few sprigs of rosemary inside the Spanek) and spritz like you're suggesting!![p]Outstanding...and a no brainer!![p]Also..I think the Small is a better Chicken cooker than
    the other sizes![p]With the closer proximity to the sides...you get better browing and chrispier skin!![p]Evans

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
    ·
  • WooDoggiesWooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Chubby,[p]Very interesting that you've observed the small is a better chicken cooker than the other sizes... makes sense.
    I will have to try it out and compare... with my Gratemates, of course. Thanks for the idea, pal.[p]juan

·
    WooDoggies,[p]That has been my experience so far... anyway. [p]"Capitol Idea"... on the GrateMates, noooooo wonder I like you!![p]I'll be seeing you soon my friend![p]Be safe.[p]Evans[p]PS...Thanks for the pic by the way, I have it under super..double secret lockdown!!
    Password required!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
  • WooDoggiesWooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Chubby,[p]Your welcome but... uhm, what pic are you talking about?

·
  • Chubby,
    Hey, Evans, you're supposed to have a can of beer under the chicken - - - otherwise it's a waste of a good chicken.[p]****

·
  • GrillMeisterGrillMeister Posts: 1,611
    ppal4.jpg
    <p />Uncle Phil,[p]I do mine direct, but use a Poultry Pal, so it's quasi direct. The drippings go into the pan below, but you can fill it with beer and spices for flavor infusion. It's a pretty slick deal.[p]Cheers,[p]GM
    [ul][li]See the Poulty Pal in action at the Texas Eggfest![/ul]
    ·
    terrafirmay,[p]Point taken...[p]But I drank it instead!![p]Evans
    ·
  • jake42jake42 Posts: 931
    sitter2.jpg
    <p />Uncle Phil,
    I do mine direct.
    counter.jpg

·
  • b-cup.gif
    <p />I do mine INDIRECT, and also with the pie plate for dripping.
    ·
  • PorkchopPorkchop Posts: 155
    GrillMeister,
    look! it's either praying or begging for mercy!!

·
  • GrillMeisterGrillMeister Posts: 1,611
    Porkchop,[p]I thought it was a neat pic, especially with the steam coming up from the inside.[p]I think it's begging for a quick carving. The folk at PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) agree. LOL
    ·
  • markhmarkh Posts: 14
    Chubby,[p]What temp to you cook your chicken at? [p]No grate mates in your pic? What's going on?[p]Mark
    ·
    markh,[p]Hey stranger!![p]Loooong time no see!!!!!!!![p]Ok..well they're in there, the pieplate is resting in the GrateMates FireRing (suspending it over the fire).[p]I usually go 375,then let it run up to 400 degrees at the end.[p]I always use the Small for chicken as I think it's the best chicken cooker in the BGE lineup![p]Evans[p]Ps...you planning on Atlanta in the Fall?

·
  • markhmarkh Posts: 14
    Chubby,[p]Thanks for the help. Your chicken is beautiful. I'm learning the small, which operates different than the large. It takes proportionally more charcoal and takes longer to get up to 400 or so. [p]I am very happy with the grate mates, sure glad you talked me into them :-) [p]I hope to see you in Atlanta in the fall,[p]Mark [p]
    ·