Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Blackstone 36" Griddle is LEGIT

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    @grege345 I like that idea. Is your overhead a deck or are you completely dry?  I ask for future plans... B)
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    3 season room above 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729

Can't say that I "nailed" it. But everyone ate seconds. And some of my cousins that are in town said "this is way better than I expected" as they drooled over there 2nd large helping.  I really didn't think it would be anywhere near this good.  While there is a lot of room for improvement, it was WAY WAY better than I get at local restaurants. I can just see how much better it will be when I master the technique (and use more heat.)  This thing is a blast.

@Grege345 Love the built in!  You can get "Starboard" in custom sizes for pretty cheap. Would make a great cover/cutting board.   How long have you had that set-up? Are you noticing any issues from heat?
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Very nice. Fresh fried rice is way better than take out, no matter what.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    The rice looks awesome!  

I just picked mine up from Home Depot.  Probably just gonna season it this evening...maybe a grilled cheese or two for a snack before bed. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Thatgrimguy
    The rice looks awesome!  

I just picked mine up from Home Depot.  Probably just gonna season it this evening...maybe a grilled cheese or two for a snack before bed. 

Congrats!!  Someone on bbq brethren asked me about seasoning. Hope this helps you too. 

- I used 2 methods. One from my cast iron experience and one from my wok experience.

First clean the griddle. Soap, scrub, then pour boiling water over it till it's perfectly clean. 

Crank it up to high and get it bone dry. I took some paper towel and held it with a long set of tongs. I used Ghee, you can use coconut oil or Flax Seed oil (if you can find it) and if you can't find any of that, go for vegetable oil. The goal is to find the oil with the highest smoke point. So once it's baked on, it can take the most heat.

So with the griddle hot as hell and still getting hotter, I throw a significant amount of oil on the griddle and start rubbing it around the metal. Being very sure to get every piece of exposed metal (including the back wall and the outside of the wall.) The oil will smoke like fire. This is good. It's going past the smoke point and laying down that nice nonstick surface. 

This process takes every bit of 30 minutes to do right. Just keep a thin (as thin as possible) layer of oil over the hot griddle and let it smoke. You really need to be careful not to let any oil puddle up during this. We want a thin consistent layer of oil over the entire surface. I went through a lot of paper towel during the process. Put oil down, then wipe it up and spread it around. It will start turning black in the middle. Once you have a nice looking blackish surface let it cool down and wipe up the residual oil layer. Let it cool COMPLETELY.

Then come back for round 2. Preheat the griddle (don't add oil yet) to a little over low heat. Chop up a bunch of onions and throw them on the hot griddle. Then put some oil on the onions and start sauteeing them. Move them all over the grill with plenty of oil. Rub them all over the surface. Everywhere. Let them go till they are black and nasty. I took at least another half hour to do this. We want to make sure there is no metallic flavor left and finish up the seasoning. These onions get tossed and we are ready to make real food!!!

I wanted to really seal in this seasoning layer, so I started with lots of bacon. The bacon grease just adds to the layer and off I went. Mine is working like I've had it for years even though I just assembled it last night.

Hope this helps, I have done a lot of research on seasoning techniques when I went on a Griswold shopping spree!

Can't say that I "nailed" it. But everyone ate seconds. And some of my cousins that are in town said "this is way better than I expected" as they drooled over there 2nd large helping.  I really didn't think it would be anywhere near this good.  While there is a lot of room for improvement, it was WAY WAY better than I get at local restaurants. I can just see how much better it will be when I master the technique (and use more heat.)  This thing is a blast.

@Grege345 Love the built in!  You can get "Starboard" in custom sizes for pretty cheap. Would make a great cover/cutting board.   How long have you had that set-up? Are you noticing any issues from heat?
    No issues with heat so far. I dropped into a recessed box made lined with concrete board. I check temps regularly with infrared gun and nothing alarming. Been cookin on it that way since the fall. An extended drain tube to the bottom cupboard will make this thing 100%. I love how easy the clean up is. It is fun to cook on. Hope you have good luck with it. 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• SmokeyPitt
    Man...thanks so much for the tutorial.  I will go for round 2 later tonight.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Done, order was placed last night, couldnt find one in Canada. Now i just have to wait for it.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • Thatgrimguy
    I love it!! I think about 4 of you have gotten one off this! It's a lot of fun. Did pancakes this morning!  I have never cooked breakfast lunch and dinner in the same day on the egg. I have done it on this now!  I just need to work on recipes that combine the egg's awesomeness with this awesomeness.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Well a thanks to you. No I dont think i would have been getting one prior to your post. Never thought about one really till now. And now it should be on its way shortly, just hope i dont have to wait to long.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I love it!! I think about 4 of you have gotten one off this! It's a lot of fun. Did pancakes this morning!  I have never cooked breakfast lunch and dinner in the same day on the egg. I have done it on this now!  I just need to work on recipes that combine the egg's awesomeness with this awesomeness.
    I'll be there soon too but I have been sold on one for a year.  Can't wait to do philly cheese steaks!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Couple of weeks ago, I smoked a corn beef brisket on the egg, let it rest a bit then made Reubens on the Blackstone...fantastic!
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,357
    Just got an email from Lowes for 10% off the next two days......
    Jacksonville FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    FYI the best price I saw was on Griddle Guru- $279 with free shipping.  Once I decided I couldn't wait and went and bought from Home depot.  

I made a quesadilla for lunch today.   The really cool part was knowing I could make about 15 of these at the same time if I need to :)

• SmokeyPitt
    Still working on my seasoning.  I made a ton of onions and didn't want to waste all of them so decided to throw together a quick 'dilla.  

• cazzy
    @Thatgrimguy Did you make the ghee yourself?
  • Thatgrimguy
    Still working on my seasoning.  I made a ton of onions and didn't want to waste all of them so decided to throw together a quick 'dilla.  
    It looks awesome!!  Did the onions have an off flavor or was it good to go?
  • Thatgrimguy

cazzy said:
    I make my own clarified butter (which I think is basically ghee)

But I was given a big bottle of this and have been using it a lot.

http://www.amazon.com/100-Organic-Ghee-Grass-fed-Cows/dp/B00E0WB292/ref=pd_sim_325_13?ie=UTF8&refRID=13QF1RY8TAJ811BBCFHA
  • cazzy

cazzy said:
    I make my own clarified butter (which I think is basically ghee)

But I was given a big bottle of this and have been using it a lot.

http://www.amazon.com/100-Organic-Ghee-Grass-fed-Cows/dp/B00E0WB292/ref=pd_sim_325_13?ie=UTF8&refRID=13QF1RY8TAJ811BBCFHA
    It is almost the same...you cook ghee longer than clarified butter as you want the milk solids to caramelize.

I'll pick up a bottle...the for the link.
  • SmokeyPitt
    It looks awesome!!  Did the onions have an off flavor or was it good to go?
    The onions tasted really good.  I seasoned last night with crisco then I also cooked on some bacon grease so I had a had a pretty good base layer.   

• LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    edited June 2015
    Maybe somebody already pointed this out, and I missed it, but Target has it at a discount: It's 248.51 including tax and free shipping.

http://www.target.com/p/blackstone-36-griddle-cooking-station/-/A-16878084#prodSlot=medium_1_1&tempterm=blackstone+grill

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    @LDR Thanks for the info. Mine is on the way. $235.00 delivered. Got an additional 5% for red card!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166
    What is a RED card? Credit or loyalty card? 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    What is a RED card? Credit or loyalty card? 
    Target credit card. You get an additional 5% off the total at the store. And it worked for the online purchase of this also.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • maso
    maso Posts: 240
    LDR said:
    Maybe somebody already pointed this out, and I missed it, but Target has it at a discount: It's 248.51 including tax and free shipping.

http://www.target.com/p/blackstone-36-griddle-cooking-station/-/A-16878084#prodSlot=medium_1_1&tempterm=blackstone+grill

FWIW, target also has a 28" version for $160...
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Damn you Target, I now have one on the way. 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    I can not wait for Uncle Buck style pancakes. 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin