Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked Base and Firebox NO Warranty

Options
I purchased my XL egg from a 3rd party I was told they had a Lifetime Warranty.  Little did I know the warranty is only valid for the original  purchaser. 

I contacted the Headquarters asking about the Warranty and it seems like I am going to have to purchase the parts on my own.  Does anyone have any idea on the prices for a XL base and Firebox?  Will these parts be covered under warranty if they break again since i am purchasing these new?

The crack in my base worries me because it is along the bottom of the base and now comes up from the draft door.  When cooking it seems to open up wider and I am afraid that on an overnight cook will break through and start a fire... Is this possible or am I just worrying too much?

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    my mini base was cracked and I used it for 10 months easily, probablly still usable today if i didnt have the warranty. Just keep an eye on it. firebox can just be left alone no need to replace imo.
    Seattle, WA
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Agreed.  No amount of money on a new base is worth the damage and loss that can happen if something goes wrong.  And I'm not talking about monetary loss.  Why take the chance?
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @steventconners20, not sure how much the base is, but it is the largest part of the egg so it is going to be a little pricey.  I would call around to different dealers and see what they say or just call the mother ship and ask them.  My guess it is going to be over $200.  You may be able to fix the fire box with JB Weld.  Some on here have used it, I haven't yet.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options

Put a new firebox in the a large, I though was reasonable around $150.00 XL cant be a whole lot more--If you don't tell them about the third party, you may get it under warranty...My dealer wanted to warranty the firebox even though I told them I bought it used...receipt is not an absolute

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • LadyGT
    LadyGT Posts: 109
    Options
    Call the manufacturer what the warranty would be for the new base. You paid for it honestly so one would think you would be covered for life like the rest of us. 

It is too bad that you were taken advantage of by the seller. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I would not assume that the seller was taking advantage. The seller may not have realized that the warranty was not transferable. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

i just had the same issue- on my XL no less.  a hairline crack that has me concerned.  fortunately, I am the original purchaser (2012) and BGE sent the new base to the dealer where I purchased it. this took about 2 months but BGE came through.  I am going to attempt to repair the crack with JB weld and make a back-up xl as I've located a dome and all I need now is a firebox

I also own a minimax which I purchased new and I have a large that I bought second -hand so the minimax and my original XL are covered.  so far, under warranty, the platesetter, fire ring and base of my XL have been replaced under warranty. 

I would think that if you purchase the XL components you need that those would be covered.  just make sure you clear this with BGE and you register them properly.  I don't see how you would NOT be covered if you put up the money.  I have no idea of the cost BUT, one thing to consider if you can be patient, and are willing to put up a few dollars, but if there's an eggfest at any bbq dealer near you this summer, get on the list and reserve a USED ONE TIME and FULLY ASSEMBLED BGE (usually the Large and XL models are used in eggfests) and these DO come with the full warranty and are offered at a decent discount. 

And yes, unless you patch up that gap with some high temperature ceramic cement, you're asking for trouble if you fire that thing up as is.  make sure it's set on top of metal or stone and is a good 15-20 feet away from anything that can catch fire.

good luck

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    Someone posted somewhere and some point that a large base was going to cost them $400 without warranty.  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    I would not assume that the seller was taking advantage. The seller may not have realized that the warranty was not transferable. 
    Exactly. Not everybody actually bothers to read/grok the fine print.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    Crack in firebox is non-issue.  Just keep using it.  Base is another matter.

When you get your new one it will have a lifetime warranty.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    I would worry more about cracked base then the other parts. JMO It's really hard to tell when you actually get a good deal on a used piece of equipment. The warranty could have saved you $800 in this case.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• walleyv
    walleyv Posts: 147
    Options
    Suggested retail for a XL base is $500 and $207 on the fire box. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    The XL base is about $465. It was on my warranty receipt from earlier this week . I can't remember it to the penny. 
  • LadyGT
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    How many companies offer lifetime warranties to customers? There are always restrictions with any warranty. if any deal is too good to be true then it is. This buyer should have asked to see the  paperwork if available to back up the seller's claims about lifetime warranty. As I see it, he will have put out almost the same amount to repair the unit as new down the road. Ceramics is sure to break at some point.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    LadyGT said:
    HeavyG said:
    How many companies offer lifetime warranties to customers? There are always restrictions with any warranty. if any deal is too good to be true then it is. This buyer should have asked to see the  paperwork if available to back up the seller's claims about lifetime warranty. As I see it, he will have put out almost the same amount to repair the unit as new down the road. Ceramics is sure to break at some point.
    I don't disagree.

But that is quite a bit different from your earlier statement of:

"It is too bad that you were taken advantage of by the seller." 

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• LadyGT
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I see what you mean, but the buyer believed the seller's claim to be true. The seller knew about lifetime warranty, so probably knew it was not transferable as well. He had to either have read the paperwork or learn from the dealer to know about lifetime so the part about original owner only was not far behind no matter how you look at it. That is a major selling point for this product.

Of course when buying a used big ticket item, it is usually buyer beware. 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    All parts when replaced and bought new from your dealer will come with the warrenty. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    LadyGT said:
    The seller knew about lifetime warranty, so probably knew it was not transferable as well. 
    Again, you're making assumptions that just may not be true. As I said - most people don't read/understand the fine print.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    https://youtu.be/mEB7WbTTlu4

Lifetime Warranty and/or Guarantee is awesome. Thus this is a HUGE selling point with BGE by dealers. Not every owner KNOWS it's NOT TRANSFERABLE but, most know it came with a Lifetime Warranty. Just my 2¢
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Pics of the damaged base or firebox?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412