Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mom just bought dad an Akorn for Fathers Day

Options
its no BGE or Kamado Joe...but I guess it's a start.  She picked it up for $240.  I doubt dad will use it but we will see...

Augusta, GA
#BGETEAMGREEN member
MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7

Comments

• LadyGT
    LadyGT Posts: 109
    Options
    From Lowes? Just saw that they were advertising them this morning.
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    I think she bought it from Target. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • WTE
    WTE Posts: 19
    Options

We bought one of these and we have been using it for about a year and half.  I have only done a couple low/slow cooks (ribs and whole chicken) on it but for what it is its works for quick cooks.  It heats up very quickly vs. my LBGE, but it makes sense since its not ceramic.  I did just buy the MM as an upgrade.  I'll keep the acorn as a standby for larger group cooks.

It is a less expensive option to see if your Dad will like it and/or the rest of the family.

HAPPY FATHERS DAY!

Lynn

Rockville, MD -LBGE, MM, Acorn by Chargriller

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Those aren't bad cookers for the price. May need a few mods to optimize it, from what I remember reading about it a while back. Check the bbq brethren site - a bunch of folks have Akorns there.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    My younger brother and neighbor have them.  They weren't sure how much they would use it and couldn't afford an egg.  They both use it 4-5 times a week.  As mentioned by caliking, they are good for the price.  
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    At least it isn't a gasser. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's