Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - cigar question

Options
maso
maso Posts: 240
Mostly directed towards @hapster , but any tips would be great...

i recently tried s Casa Magna Colorado, gran toro size (if I recall correctly), and it was fantastic. I bought it from a local B&M. A little later I bought a 10 pack of AVOs and a CM belicoso from Famous Smoke. I let it set in my humi for about a week. I lit it up and it was very disappointing. I'm glad I had the other first. I can't help but wonder if there's a quality difference between online and the B&M. Or maybe I just got a bad roll?

so, @hapster , do you buy online or local? I'm going to go back to the store to try another stick. Hopefully it's as good as the first!
Large BGE in Moore, OK

Comments

• shadowcaster
    shadowcaster Posts: 620
    Options
    I always buy local, never bought online. I prefer  to support local guys when I can. casa magba is not a bad cigar for the money. I have a few in my humidor. That cigar in a robusto won cigar or the year (for what that's worth) back 5 or 6 years ago. 
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    I usually purchase my cigars locally if buy a couple of sticks. If I want a box I order from Cigars International. Very good pricing on boxes. Also, they have sales and free items with orders. They just had a Fathers Day sale, 20% off and free shipping. Also, got a free lighter with the order.
    They have a store about an hour from me that has a nice lounge. Sometimes I'll drive up to peruse the cigars and have a drink while I burn one.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Cigars international sampler packs. You'll find a cigar that is right for you. Diesel cigars are my favorite followed by the Vegas line. I'm a medium blend type of smoker. 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• YYZegger
    YYZegger Posts: 231
    Options
    Try some cigars from My Father Cigars, Don Pepin Garcia makes some of my favourites.  I have never liked AVO myself, find them kind of flat.  Cigars are very much like wine, beer, food, etc, personal preference is key I think.  One of my favourites is La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor, Garcia makes them for Ashton, they are fantastic, and somewhat similar to the Casa's both you and I enjoy!
    Have fun sampling!  Like mentioned above, Cigars International does these great sample packs, gives you an opportunity to try a wide variety of cigars at a great price until you find what you really enjoy.
    Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options

@maso - I buy both from the locals and from the on-lines like JR, Cigars International and Famous.  All three have promotions, give-aways and package deals, all with very good discounts.  I would look them all up and get on their mailing lists.  The catalogs come once a month or so and give you a good idea of what they have to offer that month.

As for buying a cigar in one size and enjoying the heck out of it, only to be disappointed by the same cigar, but in a different size, I have experienced the same thing and have been told it has to do with how the filler is loaded into the different lengths, even though it is the same maker and the same tobacco.  Not sure if that is legit, but my local seller has a Cuban guy(Born and raised in Cuba) that rolls at the store full time and when I asked him about different lengths of the same cigar tasting differently, that was what he told me...

• Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Options
    YYZegger said:
    Try some cigars from My Father Cigars, Don Pepin Garcia makes some of my favourites.  I have never liked AVO myself, find them kind of flat.  Cigars are very much like wine, beer, food, etc, personal preference is key I think.  One of my favourites is La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor, Garcia makes them for Ashton, they are fantastic, and somewhat similar to the Casa's both you and I enjoy!
    Have fun sampling!  Like mentioned above, Cigars International does these great sample packs, gives you an opportunity to try a wide variety of cigars at a great price until you find what you really enjoy.
    I'm with you on Don Pepin and the Aroma de Cuba's wonderful stick in my opinion. I also like the Fleur de Antillas, from My Father. I always keep them in my humidor but I also have several Casa Magna's in there too.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Glad you liked it... I buy both local and online. Do you have the humidity correct in your humidor? If not, I recommend getting some Boveda humidification packs, really easy to use and very simple to maintain.
  • maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Options
    EagleIII said:

As for buying a cigar in one size and enjoying the heck out of it, only to be disappointed by the same cigar, but in a different size, I have experienced the same thing and have been told it has to do with how the filler is loaded into the different lengths, even though it is the same maker and the same tobacco.  Not sure if that is legit, but my local seller has a Cuban guy(Born and raised in Cuba) that rolls at the store full time and when I asked him about different lengths of the same cigar tasting differently, that was what he told me...

That makes a lot of sense. I bet there's a lot of truth behind it, even if it's not always the reason. I have gotten some excellent online cigars before, so maybe certain brands work better with certain sizes. I do keep my humi at ~68%' so I don't think that's an issue. 

I appreciate everyone's responses!
    Large BGE in Moore, OK