Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

That dreaded moment

Options
.... when you fire up your Egg, start wiping things down, and whamoa!!! Could it be????? Yep, my XL officially is cracked. Goes completely up the side and across the entire bottom. Still cooks great!

Here's my question for everyone who's been down this road:

How long do warranty claims typically take? I submitted photos to my local dealer with the original receipt & was told it shouldn't be a problem and it will get taken care of. It's been 2 weeks and haven't heard back. Last week called and left a message just to check in ... starting to get a bit nervous about the situation. It's hard to have patience on this sorta thing. Lol!
My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Your dealer is dragging their feet. I would call daily for an update. The dealer should at the very minimum be able to tell you where the warranty claim stands.
    I had a large base replaced years ago in less than a week.

I might even call the factory store in Atlanta. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I called in the morning and picked up that afternoon. I guess it depends if they have the replacement part in Stock. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Email Bruce, the warranty guy at BGE. bruce@biggreenegg.com. It needs to be authorized by him....least that is what I was told.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Send Bruce a picture!
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    You shouldn't have to go to Bruce. Your dealer should be on top of it. BGE is very easy to deal with on their warranty policy from my experience. Submit your dealer pictures and they should give/order you new base and that should be the end of it.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Sometimes this has to do with when he is receiving his shipments. Your dealer should add it to the next order. If he isn't getting shipments every week, then there might be a delay
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Sometimes this has to do with when he is receiving his shipments. Your dealer should add it to the next order. If he isn't getting shipments every week, then there might be a delay
    I agree.  Some dealers won't get shipments for months 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    it shouldnt take more than a week or two this time of year, eggs are moving right now. up here where we buy from pool stores that are mostly shut down fall thru spring its difficult but right now a store can call their distributor and find out where nearby stores might be getting a quicker delivery and tell you where to pick it up if necessary
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Some dealers will wait until they have a certain amount if inventory before they will place an order to save a nickel. I would called mothership directly if a business day goes by without them returning your call. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    Things to keep in mind when you select a dealer. Just sayin'.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Yes, I've heard that before. The dealer normally waits until he's getting something else shipped in from BGE. That way the warranty part doesn't have a separate freight charge.
    It still doesn't feel right having to wait a long time to get a warranty item.  
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    My XL base cracked twice, both times the replacement base arrived within a week. Good Luck

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Now I have that song "This Magic Moment"  stuck in my head.  It probably will be stuck there the rest of the day.   FWIW I'm sorry to hear about your base.  They should have a new one to you soon.  On an unrelated note,  post #600 for me. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    Options
    Ok folks .... tried calling my dealer again this morning and got to speak with someone this time! Base will be coming with next shipment but they couldn't tell me when that would be. At least I know now that I wasn't forgotten!
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Mine took less than one minute (literally) at the mothership.