Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which Brisket to Buy

chadpsualum
chadpsualum Posts: 409
edited June 2015 in EggHead Forum
I am looking to do a Brisket this weekend for my Dad and I'm having a little trouble finding exactly what I want and am looking for advice on what direction I should go.

First (a few days ago) I went to Costco and struck out.  Tonight I went to Walmart and found whole packers there at $2.96/lb but was for a USDA Select cut (around 12lbs untrimmed).  I then went to a more upscale grocery store and they had "Whole Untrimmed Brisket" for almost $8/lb (and was only 6.5lbs) but it didn't appear to be a whole packet as the entire cut was thin and uniform thickness (no Point, just Flat). Also it was only graded as Certified USDA Angus.

Any thoughts on the "Whole" Brisket that just appears to be a Flat? Should I just accept the Walmart brisket and take a chance? Otherwise I'm going to have to venture out further to see what I can find.  Appreciate the advice.
North Pittsburgh, PA
1 LGE

Comments

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    I had gotten one of the WM select packers by mistake a while back. The reason I bought it was because it was a nice floppy brisket. 
    I decided to try something different with it. I trimmed the thick fat leaving 1/4" of fat on it. Then I rendered the excess fat down and injected it into the brisket.
    It cooked up fine, wouldn't have known it was a select.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • chadpsualum
    Thanks @pescadorzih ... I hadn't thought of reinjecting some of the fat to make up for the lack of marbling.  If that works it's a good idea.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    I had gotten one of the WM select packers by mistake a while back. The reason I bought it was because it was a nice floppy brisket. 
    I decided to try something different with it. I trimmed the thick fat leaving 1/4" of fat on it. Then I rendered the excess fat down and injected it into the brisket.
    It cooked up fine, wouldn't have known it was a select.

Lenoir, N.C.
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Interesting
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    edited June 2015
    If you are paying upwards of $8/lb, do yourself a favor and buy the SRF Wagyu. 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    You didn't say where you live.  Someone who lives near you might have some ideas on where to buy a packer brisket.  Restaurant Depot is always a good place to buy them but you need a membership and joining the Kansas City BBQ society won't be  processed fast enough to get you a day pass.  If you own your own business or know someone who does, you can get a free RD membership. 
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    I am looking to do a Brisket this weekend for my Dad and I'm having a little trouble finding exactly what I want and am looking for advice on what direction I should go.

First (a few days ago) I went to Costco and struck out.  Tonight I went to Walmart and found whole packers there at $2.96/lb but was for a USDA Select cut (around 12lbs untrimmed).  I then went to a more upscale grocery store and they had "Whole Untrimmed Brisket" for almost $8/lb (and was only 6.5lbs) but it didn't appear to be a whole packet as the entire cut was thin and uniform thickness (no Point, just Flat). Also it was only graded as Certified USDA Angus.

Any thoughts on the "Whole" Brisket that just appears to be a Flat? Should I just accept the Walmart brisket and take a chance? Otherwise I'm going to have to venture out further to see what I can find.  Appreciate the advice.
    Not sure your hesitation on the Walmart packer?  What do you mean "take a chance"? 

If you do your due diligence, that choice packer will do just fine, trust me.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • chadpsualum
    @tarheelmatt ...it was a Select Packer from Wal-Mart.  I said 'take a chance' because I've read that these a hit and miss in terms of how they turn out. Maybe I'm being too picky.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • tarheelmatt
    @tarheelmatt ...it was a Select Packer from Wal-Mart.  I said 'take a chance' because I've read that these a hit and miss in terms of how they turn out. Maybe I'm being too picky.
    Not sure... Anyone can mess up a cook, that's just the way it is.  Sometimes its the cook and sometimes its the meat.  

I'd like to know the posts/threads of the Walmart packers (they're Excel) that went wrong.  

Obviously, the SRF's and possibly the primes are better, but in the right hands, the choice will do just fine.  I feel some folks want give in to the hype sometimes when the masses are ordering SRF's and then posting them.  Not knocking those folks at all, but good Q can come from choice my friend.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • chadpsualum
    @tarheelmatt ... I hear ya.  To be clear...these Wal-Mart packers aren't Choice...they're Select.  That may not make a difference in your opinion but just wanted to make that distinction.  I truthfully have no experience with either so I'm reacting totally on hearsay of what I've read online.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • tarheelmatt
    @johnmitchell cooked one of these from Walmart this past weekend.  From the pictures he sent me, it looked pretty dang good.  

I think our Walmart had choice at high $2's a pound.  John could confirm this as he's in my area.  

Where are you?  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Trixie_Belle
    Trixie_Belle Posts: 163
    Obviously, I live in the wrong part of the country.   Beef is way more expensive here int he Seattle area.   Costco has flats for almost $6/lb.  That's the best price I've seen.  
    BGE novice...A Southern Belle living in Seattle.  
  • pescadorzih
    Most flats are more expensive.  They are $6-8
    a lb here also. WM choice briskets are $2.96/lb locally for me.

chadpsualum, where are you located?
    SE PA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Obviously, I live in the wrong part of the country.   Beef is way more expensive here int he Seattle area.   Costco has flats for almost $6/lb.  That's the best price I've seen.  
    Smart foods, Cash&Carry has briskets for $2.88 per pound, 10 pound average on sale this week. I think they are select/choice - always come out OK. Lots of C&C stores in Washigton. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • DoubleEgger
    edited June 2015
    After seeing that post with the cyst on the Walmart packer, there's absolutely no way I could bring myself to buy one. Still gives me the heebie jeebies.  
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Been in your shoes.. I would advise you to instead go get some nice steaks. Save the brisket for when you have more time to plan/obtain what you are looking for. Don't spend the $$ or the time on something you know your already not happy with.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    I do select a lot and have not had a bad cook yet.  I inject with beef broth and cook the travis stick way.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Do you have a Sam's near you?  If I can't get to Restaurant Depot I go to Sam's to get briskets.  They are usually choice and sometimes prime where I go.  @Raymont, idea of the steaks is a good one too.  You could do a reverse sear and impress you dad maybe.  Less work to do that.  Pare it with some grilled veggies and potatoes and you should be good.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Trixie_Belle
    Trixie_Belle Posts: 163
    Smart foods, Cash&Carry has briskets for $2.88 per pound, 10 pound average on sale this week. I think they are select/choice - always come out OK. Lots of C&C stores in Washigton. 
    Seriously, I didn't think of Cash and Carry!  I go there for other things!  Do they have trimmed?  I don't want to tackle trimming it myself. 
    BGE novice...A Southern Belle living in Seattle.  
  • tarheelmatt
    After seeing that post with the cyst on the Walmart packer, there's absolutely no way I could bring myself to buy one. Still gives me the heebie jeebies.  
    Understood... But really it's not Wally Worlds fault.  Some are more sensitive to these types things as I am not.  

Used to cleaning deer and finding crazy stuff in them, so that stuff doesn't bother me as much.   
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DoubleEgger
    Understood... But really it's not Wally Worlds fault.  Some are more sensitive to these types things as I am not.  

Used to cleaning deer and finding crazy stuff in them, so that stuff doesn't bother me as much.   
    It might be different if it were somewhere else but WallyWorld isn't known for its quality products especially food. 
  • pescadorzih
    They are getting the same Excel packers as a lot of other stores and or butchers.
    Not a WM thing.
    SE PA
  • QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    @pescadorzih which WM in SEPA sells choice whole packers at under $3 per pound?  That is a much better price than i have seen anywhere around here.  I would love to check it out.
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • pescadorzih
    I've seen them at the Pottstown, Exeter(Reading) and Bechtelsville WM. Bechtelsville usually has select, the others always seem to have choice.
    I haven't checked the Exton WM lately, even though I work only a mile from there.
    For some reason the Sams clubs around here don't carry them.
    SE PA
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Really want to try a brisket but I find the whole thing a bit confusing 
  • pescadorzih
    dougcrann said:
    What part is confusing you?
    SE PA
  • tarheelmatt
    dougcrann said:
    You came to the right place.  Let's hash it out. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Thanks @pescadorzih.  As you can see from my sig, I am right down the road from where you work.  I will check around because that price would mean i can do a lot more brisky's!  =)
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • pescadorzih
    Let me know if you get to the Exton WM and if they have them.
    SE PA
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    dougcrann said:
    Three great sources of brisket cooking information are:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

and

http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php

and

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html