Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Anyone have a foam mattress?

Options
2»

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I've skimmed all of these replies and if I missed what I'm about to reply/suggest then excuse me. 

3 years last month we bot a Sealy Motivational Queen memory foam and springs. The dealer is a local business called Sherman's and they have/had a display of like 30 beds in a row for us to lay on to test. Granted they were arranged from the cheapest to their most expensive, though there were no conspicuous price tags. Being the least modest of us I was the designated "layerdowner" LOL. By mattress # 28 I knew to return to # 27 and convinced my wife to join me. We settled on it! The price tag was a lot lower than what I have seen posted here! Ours was $1,530 plus tax and free delivery! 

One last point that I have not seen or maybe missed in this thread was discussion of the bed frame. Ours is a five legged one with that fifth being in the center. 3 years now and there is no sagging and we are quite happy with our Sealy!

Recap: Sealy memory foam mattress and spring $1,530...new 5 legged frame $59. Get my point? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NoobZero
    NoobZero Posts: 177
    Options
    If you go with foam, make sure you get a proper foundation. Putting a foam mattress on a box spring will cause it to sag. Guess how I found that out! But since we got an inexpensive foam, I have never slept deeper than I am now.
    Atlanta GA. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    FATC1TY said:
    Got a good chuckle reading this..

I'm a polyurethane foam chemist, and I make all sorts of foam. Many of which are found in all the big OEM companies and the smaller store branded stuff. Even the new online places that sell all foam beds.

FWIW.. thicker ain't better, higher density is better, but the core has to be something worth while. 1.8# and above. Look for something ventilated with holes in it, or something with a more beathable cell structure. 

Tempur buyers I feel sorry for, seriously. 
    Seriously, I'm really happy with my mattress. I don't really need your expert chemist pity, but thanks anyway.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    You guys are going to think I'm crazy, but I tested twenty expensive mattresses and settled on the Costco one with the gel beads. 

It it was way more comfortable. Cooler. You could sit on the edge without it breaking down. Maybe a little firmer, which I liked. 

And WAAAAAAAAAAY cheaper. I think, after coupon, we got it for like $600 shipped..

California king, baby

it it comes in a box which expands after you cut the zip ties. I sprayed lavender or some herb around the room while it sucked up all that air.  To prevent other scents from lodging deeply into the cells of the foam... ;)

and its its guaranteed and if it ever dies we'll prolly have another of the same we can just buy again from Costco. Can't recommend it enough. 

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Legume said:
    FATC1TY said:
    Got a good chuckle reading this..

I'm a polyurethane foam chemist, and I make all sorts of foam. Many of which are found in all the big OEM companies and the smaller store branded stuff. Even the new online places that sell all foam beds.

FWIW.. thicker ain't better, higher density is better, but the core has to be something worth while. 1.8# and above. Look for something ventilated with holes in it, or something with a more beathable cell structure. 

Tempur buyers I feel sorry for, seriously. 
    Seriously, I'm really happy with my mattress. I don't really need your expert chemist pity, but thanks anyway.

I don't pity your choice of bed. I just hate to see people spend excessive money for subpar product, or even similar products. People force themselves to love their expensive purchases anyways.

By the tone of your reply- I'd say I'm probably spot on.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Nah, I'm happy with what I have, money was spent long ago.  Are there better mattresses?  Better value?  It comes down to what is right for you as a person at that time, in that situation.  When we bought our Tempurpedic there were very few foam mattresses around and we had gone through expensive and cheap traditional mattresses and not been happy.  We like this one.  Would I make the same choice today given what's out there?  No idea.

My comment had more to do with how you presented yourself as an expert and then condescendingly ripped a brand lots of people are happy with.  It's not about rationalizing my choice so I feel better, money is spent, I sleep well.  I guess what I should've said was, maybe next time you could use your expert knowledge to suggest that anyone currently in the market should pay attention to x,y,z factors for the best value instead of making comments that were more about making you look smart.  Your paragraph on thicker isn't better was helpful info.  Ultimately it's about how I feel on my mattress, isn't it?
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Legume said:
    Nah, I'm happy with what I have, money was spent long ago.  Are there better mattresses?  Better value?  It comes down to what is right for you as a person at that time, in that situation.  When we bought our Tempurpedic there were very few foam mattresses around and we had gone through expensive and cheap traditional mattresses and not been happy.  We like this one.  Would I make the same choice today given what's out there?  No idea.

My comment had more to do with how you presented yourself as an expert and then condescendingly ripped a brand lots of people are happy with.  It's not about rationalizing my choice so I feel better, money is spent, I sleep well.  I guess what I should've said was, maybe next time you could use your expert knowledge to suggest that anyone currently in the market should pay attention to x,y,z factors for the best value instead of making comments that were more about making you look smart.  Your paragraph on thicker isn't better was helpful info.  Ultimately it's about how I feel on my mattress, isn't it?
    Wasn't trying to look smart, and wasn't really knocked, but more tounge in cheek about the Tempur. Most people buy it up, and think "tempur" and "memory foam" are different things.
     But your right,  it's all personal experience and what someone likes. I like certain beers, that people wouldn't even want to smell! 

Tempur is just a brand, and they buy a portion of their foams from other suppliers. Their products are marketed extremely well, but their materials are very subpar. I won't go into specifics of their materials they use to make their foams, but their foam is years behind in technology. But of course, it's not needed for them to make a $175 King bed, and sell it for $7500. 

When buying an all foam bed, look for things you hate, IE, hot sleeping temp, support, etc.

Higher density foam, will have a higher support factor, and will have better longevity for you. Compression of foam, of ANY density will happen over time. Depending on the chemical make up, and the way it was produced, you can have different beds compress and become "saggin" or lumpy. 

Look for a bed with a regular foam base, something atleast 1.8# to 2.5# density. This is the supporting base of your bed.

Look for foams that offer things to alleviate what you hate about your current sleeping situation. Hot? Look for foams with additives like heat sinks, or phase change materials added that will wick away the heat from you. Look for foams with ventilated holes in the foam to add air channels, or something that is marketed as an open cell, or breathable foam.

Look at pressure maps of beds- I've pressure mapped several beds, and you'd be surprised how bad excessive sinking into a memory foam bed is for you. Might feel comfy, but you will have severe pressure points build up over time with beds that don't support your entire body across the board.

Find something made in the USA. Seriously- the chemical make up, from the materials used to make the foam, to the glues and covers on your bed, the stuff from china is insane.

Find a bed you like, and check out the cover. This is an important part of the bed. Is it easy to clean, does it unzip off to wash? Does it have some special additives in it to aide in sleeping better?

Find a base for your bed, platform, box springs. all work. Platform is best if you don't need the added height on your bed, or your foundation. Solid is better, but box springs work fine and will not cause premature sagging in the bed, butthe box springs can wear  and the bed will allow you to "feel" it.

I won't get into brands to look for, or anything like that, but I'd suggest most people who are bed shopping, to look online first. There are several vendors out there shipping beds to you these days that are making some good beds, and most you won't spend over $1000, including any shipping. They are light years better in technology and material, and you can save thousands.

But ultimately, if you like something, and you have no problem spitting out the money, roll with it. Its just money- much like we spend thousands on our eggs, we could do the same with a barrel grill.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • JasoninDenver
    Options
    To get back on track.....

I had a Tempurdic queen size for about 5 years before needing an adjustable base for snoring and GERD. We both loved the Tempurpedic and felt it worth the $4,000.00.

When looking for a replacement, I did a ton of research into brands, foams, retailers etc... And came to the conclusions that our resident foam chemist posted. Tempur makes a good, not great, bed at an exorbitant price. I ended up buying a Brooklyn Bedding product for 30% of the cost of a similar Tempurpedic. I was nervous buying online, but they make across the board comparisons to similar Temper models so you can get a good idea of what model will work for you and then decide if the extra cash for the brand name is worth it. One model was damaged in shipping and they immediately replaced it no problem.

one HUGE difference between my Tempur and the Brooklyn Bedding model was the very low offgassing with the Brooklyn Bedding foam. We had to leave the windows open for a month in Winter with the tempurpedic. 

One thing that is essential for a foam bed, even with phase change foam, bamboo sheets. 

I think the Costco models use chinese foam so verify first. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    You guys are going to think I'm crazy, but I tested twenty expensive mattresses and settled on the Costco one with the gel beads. 

It it was way more comfortable. Cooler. You could sit on the edge without it breaking down. Maybe a little firmer, which I liked. 

And WAAAAAAAAAAY cheaper. I think, after coupon, we got it for like $600 shipped..

California king, baby

it it comes in a box which expands after you cut the zip ties. I sprayed lavender or some herb around the room while it sucked up all that air.  To prevent other scents from lodging deeply into the cells of the foam... ;)

and its its guaranteed and if it ever dies we'll prolly have another of the same we can just buy again from Costco. Can't recommend it enough. 

@MaskedMarvel is this the one you have?
    http://www.costco.com/Novaform®-14"-Primafina-King-Gel-Memory-Foam-Mattress.product.100039952.html#BVRRWidgetID

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    I have not seen this mentioned.  I have not used this service but I have heard of people who did, maybe it will be for you.  https://casper.com/
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I sincerely thank all that posted their personal sleepin experiences both good and bad to try to help a fellow sleepy egghead to make a quality informed decision. We have looked at all brands posted ( if we can get them up in Canada) and are deep into the process of gaining information and knowledge. 

sort of OT - when I posted the question here, I told SWMBO I did and she said " is there anything you guys don't talk about on that thing". Lol. 
    I replied that there is a great wealth of knowledge here with all of us varied in life expererinces and careers that can add valuable first hand experience on professional levels and personal. Love that about this place. 
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    @hondabbq. FYI, I bought my Dormeo mattress at Sleep Country. 
    GWN
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    Geez I forgot you were the op, guess Casper.com is out. Pretty sure it does not do Canada
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt that's the one.. I THINK..  Looks like they don't have the fabric pattern that covers the mattress anymore that I have (three years old)..  Mine looks like a bunch of SSS es.... 

I can't even find the email from the purchase - thanks for nothing gmail.

I'll try and find out more tomorrow.  I remember the memory foam had gel beads.  It was their effort to make it cooler.  The one you linked may just be the next generation of that.  Glad to see they're guaranteed for twenty years! :)

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    As long as I'm nerding out about this - I had crushing back and neck pain before the new bed.  I'm 6'2" and slept my whole life on those terrible beds that your feet hang off.  Figured out my neck and back were jacked from trying to cramp onto the mattress..

Got the California King (go big or go home), and spent extra and got the Tempurpedic memory foam pillow that is flat on one side and looks like a lopsided 8 on the other.  Fixed neck and back pain.  I never want to get out of bed....

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• SouthGaSmoker
    Options
    Sleep Number is the best bedding investment that we have ever made. 
    St. Mary's, GA
  • PSHome
    PSHome Posts: 41
    Options
    We did the new mattress thing 2 yrs ago.  Neither of us like the Tempers.  We ended up going with a iComfort from Serta.  Like RRP and others, make sure your frame has a center leg.  Also, with all the deep / thick mattresses, we have converted all of our beds to platform beds.  You can actually sit into / out of bed and "grandma" with her replacement knee replacement doesn't need a step-stool to get into bed when visiting.  Plus the mattress is much better supported via platform vs on a box spring.  

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited June 2015
    Options
  • Eggingaround
    Eggingaround Posts: 357
    Options
    We bought a memory foam from Costco online and love it. King size fully adjustable 1/4 of the price of tempurpedic. Cost me around $2000 with delivery and set up. I went to a few mattress stores and tried the tempurpedic and the sleep science from costco is on the same level. I do not find it to sleep hot. Took about a week to adjust to it though. The only regret was not buying it sooner. 
    Mckinney, TX
    LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
    Mini Max
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    What kind of base do you use with the foam matresses from like Costco? Looking to get a king bed instead of our current queen. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Tempurpedic here with the cool top. Seven years and I sleep like a stone. Every time I travel and stay in hotels I can't wait to get home

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    As long as I'm nerding out about this - I had crushing back and neck pain before the new bed.  I'm 6'2" and slept my whole life on those terrible beds that your feet hang off.  Figured out my neck and back were jacked from trying to cramp onto the mattress..

Got the California King (go big or go home), and spent extra and got the Tempurpedic memory foam pillow that is flat on one side and looks like a lopsided 8 on the other.  Fixed neck and back pain.  I never want to get out of bed....

Oddly, I've had the opposite experience.  Since getting my Tempur, when I wake up I just get out of bed, no desire to roll over and snooze anymore; I guess that could be good or bad (disclosure: my omelettes are KILLER).  
    I'm 6'5" and have always let my feet hang over the edge, never really had any back problems but I DO sleep much better with the Tempur now.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    If you drink enough, it doesn't matter....
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    What kind of base do you use with the foam matresses from like Costco? Looking to get a king bed instead of our current queen. 
    Tempur sells "foundations" that are basically boxes made of MDF covered in foam.  We have ours on a platform bed (bunch of wood slats like 20 with 5 center legs.  No sagging or creeking.  
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

We bought a Tempur Rhapsody a few years ago and it's a good mattress. A year latter we replaced the spare room with a Sealy foam and its just as good.

As far as cost vs. quality...ask some one on here if a BGE is better than any other Kamado cooker , you will get similar replies as this post. Some will say why spend the money on the "name brand", others will swear by them.

Buy what you think works for you.

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• islanderegger
    Options
    Novosbed,  I love this bed. Over a year and still can't get over how good a sleep I get.