Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie needs brisket advice

Hey all!  I'm cooking brisket this Saturday for 12.  How many pounds should I buy?   It it possible to cook 2 on the same rack of the large egg?   Please offer suggestions.  Thank you!!
BGE novice...A Southern Belle living in Seattle.  

Comments

• As far as the size of brisket, it kind of depends on the appetite of those eating and how many sides you are having as well. I would recommend at least a 15 pound brisket due to loss from both trimming and shrinkage during the cooking process. I would go even bigger if it was me, but 15 pounds pre trim weight would be my minimum. As far as how many per grid, you will be hard pressed to get more than one on the grid of a large BGE without some serious over lapping and encroaching. Not saying it can't be done,  but it's just not practical nor ideal. 
  • First brisket serving 12 this Saturday?

You're a brave woman.
    Gittin' there...
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Do you have an idea as to what size briskets are available in Seattle? Can you get whole packers or just flats? I know our selection here in the Toronto area can be hit or miss.

As previous posted said it would depend on appetites and what else you might be serving.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    First brisket serving 12 this Saturday?

You're a brave woman.
    This will be brisket #4.  I've only cooked flats in the 6 to 8 lb range.  
  • Trixie_Belle
    Trixie_Belle Posts: 163
    What about the 2 layer cooking thing?  Put one flat on each layer?   
  • Trixie_Belle
    Would it be possible to do 2 pork butts on the same grill?   
  • Would it be possible to do 2 pork butts on the same grill?   
    Absolutely. 

What about the 2 layer cooking thing?  Put one flat on each layer?   
    This will work in spades. However if you are going for perfect bark, the lower one may be a little lacking due to the constant drip affect from the one above. However this can be alleviated or at least reduced to some degree by rotating them around occasionally. As with all things, where's there a will, there's a way.  
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I would look for a full packer at around 15 pounds like @TheManBehindTheMask, said.  It should fit on your large and you get the leaner flat with the fatty point.  I would also cook between 250 and 275.  That will get you close to about a pound per hour.  Good luck.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Trixie_Belle
    edited June 2015
    I would look for a full packer at around 15 pounds like @TheManBehindTheMask, said.  It should fit on your large and you get the leaner flat with the fatty point.  I would also cook between 250 and 275.  That will get you close to about a pound per hour.  Good luck.
    So I checked with 2 well-respected butcher shops. No packer.  They only have untrimmed brisket and flats.  I'll make the largest flat I can locate AND something else that cooks rather quickly while the brisket rests.  
  • So I checked with 2 well-respected butcher shops. No packer.  They only have untrimmed brisket and flats.  
    Mrs. Belle, I'm some what confounded. They say that they have untrimmed brisket. To the best of my knowledge, that is a packer. I would sure like to know what they are calling a untrimmed brisket if it's not a packer.   
  • Trixie_Belle
    So I checked with 2 well-respected butcher shops. No packer.  They only have untrimmed brisket and flats.  
    Mrs. Belle, I'm some what confounded. They say that they have untrimmed brisket. To the best of my knowledge, that is a packer. I would sure like to know what they are calling a untrimmed brisket if it's not a packer.   
    Hmmmm...maybe they use different lingo here in the Seattle area?   I'll buy the untrimmed/packer and give it a go.  thanks for the info!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Terminology will definitely vary from one region/butcher to another
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited June 2015
    2 butts on a large works just fine. Had really nice bark also.
    Mckinney, TX
    LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
    Mini Max
  • Ladeback69
    @Trixie_Belle, have you trimmed a brisket before?  If not you mostly want to trim the hard fat off and leave about a 1/4" on the bottom.  There may be some silver skin and you will want to remove that to. If it looks like this it is what most of us call a full packer that has the point and flat together. 

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    No problem at all getting 2 butts on a large if you can't find your brisket.  One butt 8 lbs or more will feed 12 people no problem...but I always cook at least 2 and have freeze the leftovers. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Trixie_Belle
    @Trixie_Belle, have you trimmed a brisket before?  If not you mostly want to trim the hard fat off and leave about a 1/4" on the bottom.  There may be some silver skin and you will want to remove that to. If it looks like this it is what most of us call a full packer that has the point and flat together. 

That looks like what the butchers here call an untrimmed brisket.  No...I've never trimmed one. I think make one flat and something else.   thank you!!
  • Trixie_Belle

2 butts on a large works just fine. Had really nice bark also.
    OMG....those look DELISH!!   thanks for the info!
  • Ladeback69

That looks like what the butchers here call an untrimmed brisket.  No...I've never trimmed one. I think make one flat and something else.   thank you!!
    Sounds good.  You could ask you butcher to trim it if you want, but if you not comfortable doing it I would do what you have planed with a flat and something else.  There are a lot of Youtube videos on how to or if you could ever go to Brisket Camp they can show you how.  I bet what ever you make will be great and we all look forward to seeing the post.

Kansas City, Mo.