Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Ribs in the Rain with New SS Cap

Options
Well I was very anxious to get Egging today being so impressed with the Toronto Big Green Egg Fest Chefs yesterday!
Unfortunately it rained all day today, lucky the Festival was yesterday!
I purchased a new SS cap for my LBGE yesterday, installed it today and it worked out really well I thought for my first time using it.  I burning off the rest of the charcoal tonight to clean out the egg so I can't comment on the snuffing ability yet.
Bought some Holy Cow rub for todays smoke, and I Love it!  It goes really well with beef as most of you already know.  
Smoked Beef short ribs, corn, spiral dogs for fun, roasted baby potatoes (in oven, need a second EGG!!) and Quinoa salad. 
Enough for dinner tonight and tomorrow.  Happy Sunday!
Toronto, Canada  LBGE

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Great looking spread @YYZegger! Cool umbrella as well. Is your SW cap plain, or are you a purist with the new flat plug piece? How do you like the cap?
  • YYZegger
    YYZegger Posts: 231
    Options
    @pgprescott Thanks, the cap is the original one I believe, just bought it yesterday and I actually really like it so far on 1 cook.  I really bought it for rain and snow days, but I like the look of it and its very easy to use and fits like a glove.
    Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    call me a worry wart, but that umbrella has NO business that close to the opening of a hot egg, let alone that close to your home. Know what a fire ball an egg can send out? Sorry man...just trying to protect you since if you have a Radio Flyer that might mean you also have a small child close by.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @rrp that umbrella is likely nylon which is by and large self extinguishing. Likely wind up a melted ball of goo 
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Very nice.  The plated pic looks killer.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    @rrp that umbrella is likely nylon which is by and large self extinguishing. Likely wind up a melted ball of goo 
    Ok - could that "melted ball of goo" stick to that plastic siding and cause a further issue? Sorry man, but get burnt once and you remember things including horror stories from other eggers. We used to have an egger who went by Old Dave in IN. He put us on to the warning of egging a pound or two of bacon on his egg. Thankfully his fire only caused $10K and happened during the day when his volunteer fire dept was home that weekend. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • YYZegger
    Options
    RRP said:
    call me a worry wart, but that umbrella has NO business that close to the opening of a hot egg, let alone that close to your home. Know what a fire ball an egg can send out? Sorry man...just trying to protect you since if you have a Radio Flyer that might mean you also have a small child close by.
    Hey RRP, Thanks for your concern, I assure you it was safe, it was pouring rain when I used it, took it off when it was just drizzling.  It never got warm at all, tested it and it was perfectly fine.  Too bad for old Dave though, thats unfortunate news.  
    Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Great looking food @YYZegger; still a bit puzzled about how that hot dog snuck in there as I did not see it on the egg  :s

Not sure if you were using the umbrella to keep the egg dry or just to have handy for yourself. If the former then there is no need for that. Rain (or snow) falling on the egg will have absolutely no impact on the egg or your cook.

Keep up the good egging!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Great looking food @YYZegger; still a bit puzzled about how that hot dog snuck in there as I did not see it on the egg  :s

Not sure if you were using the umbrella to keep the egg dry or just to have handy for yourself. If the former then there is no need for that. Rain (or snow) falling on the egg will have absolutely no impact on the egg or your cook.

Keep up the good egging!
    If I had to guess, I'd say it's to have it handy, because no way it's protecting the egg when you open the dome! And for me, that's when I'd want some protection. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • YYZegger
    Options

Keep up the good egging!
    Thanks @TexanOfTheNorthThrew the Hot Dogs on last 10 - 15 mins just to try the spiral dogs someone posted her before, tasted pretty good actually.
    The umbrella was just for my head during a big downpour we had while I was prepping the food. Took it off 20 mins later. Seems like my umbrella has attracted a lot of attention haha.  
    Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    YYZegger said:

Keep up the good egging!
    Thanks @TexanOfTheNorthThrew the Hot Dogs on last 10 - 15 mins just to try the spiral dogs someone posted her before, tasted pretty good actually.
    The umbrella was just for my head during a big downpour we had while I was prepping the food. Took it off 20 mins later. Seems like my umbrella has attracted a lot of attention haha.  
    Yes, we're a very observant group. You'll be amazed at the little details people comment on.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    @TexanOfTheNorth not sure why this photo did not appear when I posted it last night, but here are the dogs on the grill.
    Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    @YYZegger ... mystery solved! Thanks, I'll be able to concentrate on today's work now.  =)
    Options
    Haha, me too @TexanOfTheNorth

Toronto, Canada  LBGE