Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anova precision cooker $60 off

Options
llrickman
llrickman Posts: 654
edited June 2015 in EggHead Forum
i got an email and on Amazon on Monday from 6am pst till 12 pst Amazon will have the Anova precision cooker for $60 off. The 

I wish I had the extra $$$ I would love to have another 
2 LBGE
Digi Q
green Thermapen
AR

Albuquerque, NM

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Been looking at them, what model and at what price (pre discount)?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • llrickman
    Options
    It's the precision I have this one and I like it. Can use about any size pot because of the adjustable clamp. 
    I think the original price is $179. 

I use mine all the time 
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited June 2015
    Options

$119........good deal?  Do you need to have a vacuum sealer?

EDIT:  Eh, screw it.  I just ordered it.  I always wanted to try the "perfect egg".  It's something like 67C for 45 minutes.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

EDIT:  Eh, screw it.  I just ordered it.  I always wanted to try the "perfect egg".  It's something like 67C for 45 minutes.

FYI you don't have to have a vac sealer.  You can just use zip loc bag you just have to keep the top of the bag out of the water.  Vac sealed are easier to work with because you can submerge the entire bag. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Darn it. Now I have 2.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Happy Father's Day to me.

I f*cking hate you guys. So ready to help me spend my money. 

Now where's the link to the tub i'll need for this puppy. It was some sort of polycarbonate or whatever thing by Rubbermaid or Cambro. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Raymont
    Options
    I use an Igloo cooler.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• llrickman
    Options
    stlcharcoal said:

No  you dont need a vacuum sealer you can use the submersion technique to seal them in regular bags But i do use a food saver
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • llrickman
    Options
    caliking said:
    Happy Father's Day to me.

I f*cking hate you guys. So ready to help me spend my money. 

Now where's the link to the tub i'll need for this puppy. It was some sort of polycarbonate or whatever thing by Rubbermaid or Cambro. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
    I use a couple different pots we have but if im going to do ribs or something like that that has to stay in the waterbath for 48-72 hrs i need to find something that's insulated

seen a few vids on youtube with different vessels

So far ive only cooked in it for 3-4 hrs
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up.  Snuck in with about 20 mins left on the deal.  Now how to explain it to the wife
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Take a look here:
    http://douglasbaldwin.com/
    This guy is a God among men when it comes to sous vide.
    I have his book and most of the good stuff is available for free on his site.
    I use a Poly Science Sous Vide Professional CHEF Series.
    It is an fantastic circulator.

Regarding the perfect egg....I have tried all the temps that are recommended. The problem is getting the white to set properly. Some people recommend shocking the egg in boiling water before Sous Vide to set the whites.

Sous Vide is a good technique to have access too, however it is no substitute to a properly grilled steak on the BGE. A steak cooked Sous Vide and finished on a grill or flamed with a torch simply does not develop the flavor that can be obtained by traditional grilling.

Now vacuum sealing pulled pork and reheating later in the Sous Vide water bath is an excellent method. I can't tell the difference between reheated compared to straight from the egg.

I have the Weston Pro 2300 vac sealer. It works great. If money was no object I would have a chamber style sealer. Chamber sealers can seal liquids and would be fantastic to seal meats with liquid marinades. 

Don't forget to check out Douglass Baldwins site and see his videos

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    GregW said:

Regarding the perfect egg....I have tried all the temps that are recommended. The problem is getting the white to set properly. Some people recommend shocking the egg in boiling water before Sous Vide to set the whites.

J. Kenji at Serious Eats did an extensive look at doing eggs sous vide a couple years ago: http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/sous-vide-101-all-about-eggs.html

Worth a look if you haven't already seen it.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    Ok sucked me. Just ordered mine!
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • GregW
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    GregW said:

J. Kenji at Serious Eats did an extensive look at doing eggs sous vide a couple years ago: http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/sous-vide-101-all-about-eggs.html

Worth a look if you haven't already seen it.

No I haven't seen that. I will take a look.
    Thanks
  • U_tarded
    Options
    Told my wife I ordered it I got called insane and an idiot.  Nothing new really
  • U_tarded
    Options
    Ok got it late last night cooked the chef step perfect poached egg tonight.  The wife loved it and asked what is the next cook going to be.  Can't believe I waited so long to get one.

• GregW
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I use and recommend the Polyscience Sous Vide Toolbox.
    It calculates cooking times for various meats based on thickness and whether you want to pasteurize to the surface or pasteurize to the core.
    This app makes it safe to cook chicken to a lower temp than would normally be safe by making sure it has been cooked long enough at a lower temp to pasteurize to the core.

Sous Vide is a great technique, however most of the real benefits come from not having to follow the USDA safe temp cooking guidelines. This can be accomplished safely by cooking the meat at a lower temp long enough to pasteurize to the core.

The Polyscience app makes it easy to experiment and be safe at the same time.
    There are other apps that do this as well.
    Just make sure you have one that you can trust.

Sous Vide in my experience is not the panacea it is being portrayed in the media to be, however it does have some uses that are very beneficial.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Got mine yesterday as well and tried a couple eggs.  Fail.  I did the three minute boil, one minute cold water shock, then 45 at 143F.  The white was still clear and runny.  So I threw the other one back in for another 10 minutes.  It firmed up a little but looked like it needed an additional 10.  Btw, stated with cold eggs......that the problem?

Also, downloaded the app, but couldn't get the Bluetooth working.
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    Its still $50 off on their website for Fathers Day.

http://store.anovaculinary.com/products/anova-precision-cooker
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • Raymont
    Options
    They were on sale on Amazon for $119. Not sure if that is still offered.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Navigator
    Navigator Posts: 56
    Options
    You guys got me all pumped up last night for one of these until I realized it was last Monday for the Amazon deal......so I googled and found the $50 off right from Anova and ordered one.
    Then I see someone posted it here while I was at work today. 
    I have some Snake River Farms ribeyes I cant wait to try with it.

Any must have accessories or Apps?
    Rich
    Ashland, WI  /  Large & Mini Max