Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FedEx 1: Rockwood 0

Comments

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Durangler said:
    Okay...I'm spent.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    bump..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Just received 10 bags... all arrived fine. I bit dirty and dusty, but I expect that knowing that it has to travel a long way before it gets to us here on the left coast.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    I've solved this problem. No longer using lump, just use the old needles, cones and dry branches from underneath the big pine tree in our back yard...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Just make your own. I'm telling ya. Easy peasy. I use all my fines in the salt water fish tank where I raise rescue baby sharks. 
  • 4Runner
    edited June 2015
    Can we please get back on topic....more Giada please. I'd like to inspect her after shipping.  :)
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Your wish is my command @4Runner

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited June 2015
    4Runner said:
    Can we please get back on topic....more Giada please. I'd like to inspect her after shipping.  :)

DoubleEgger said:
    Your wish is my command @4Runner

Obviously mishandled by Fed Ex. Look at all of the charcoal dust and ripped packaging. I'll be heading to all of the forums her mother frequents to complain ASAP.  ;)
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Sorry she looks like she has downs here.
  • ChillyWillis
    edited June 2015
    Lit said:
    I'd ride that short bus. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    KennyLee said:

I love Rockwood and I believe @stlcharcoal is a stand-up guy, supporter of the forum and makes a helluva product.  @lit seems immature and to have some axe to grind.

However I will say that this (shipping problems) is why I don't use Rockwood any longer.  We used to get local group buys since it's not yet available around our area, but can no longer get them.  I've since gone to another brand I can find locally.  I'd buy RW all day long if it was available locally.   

Who the **** are you. 6 cooks on your egg and no clue who I am and you are judging me? There are multiple other people on this same thread that had the same issue as me and I am immature? I am pointing out an issue and you all are sucking stlcharcoas **** while the next person gets in line to suck it even better. This forum has gone down hill with all the people that can't even boil water in the microwave being allowed to comment. I have been posting here 7 plus years and am done now. @KennyLee I hope you choke on his load.
  • ChillyWillis
    edited June 2015
    @Lit relax man. You've been around here for a long time and done some amazing cooks. I think it's safe to say you've made your point. 

Cook with the lump you like, no need to try and crush a man trying to make his living doing what he loves. Folks only judge because you come off so harsh every time RW is brought up.  

This is just one mans opinion (and we all know what that's worth). 
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    edited June 2015
    Pacuare said:
    I have had similar issues as the OP with RW from Firecraft.  Both times I ordered 5 bags, the bags looked like that.  For the first order the lump still was decent sized but smaller than when I purchased part of a pallet through a group buy.  I chalked that up too shipping.  

For my second Firecraft order, I am through just one bag and it had tons of dust and small enough pieces that a lot fell through the XL grate.  I have really liked using RW but that bag was bad enough that I am thinking I may not order from Firecraft again especially if the other bags are similar. 

I will open up the second bag sometime next week.  I will try to remember to document what it looks like.  

I've had the EXACT SAME problem with Firecraft shipping of RW (AND OO, BTW, back when we could get it) lump.  Each time, the bags arrive looking like OPs - and anything else in the box was covered in soot and grime.

My OO lump was 'somewhat' beat up - with THE issue being smaller pieces than there otherwise would be. 

I just got 5 bags of RW and haven't used any yet so will reserve judgement one way or the other until I do open up and inspect the bags (nowhere really to dump it out at the moment - the plastic bins I use for my lump storage are full of old OO [yay!] and FOGO).  And, for the record, this is my first shipment of RW which I only bought cuz I could no longer get OO.

Bottom line - while the "free" (to us) shipping from Firecraft is a big reason most of us order from them, the CONSISTENTLY bad shape things arrive in (beat up, covered in grime, etc) is a real issue and they need to fix it.  Period.

I'd pay a buck or two for "handling" if they could just wrap the freaking bags in bubble wrap or put some other kind of padding (peanuts, etc) in and use a tighter box for shipping.

This ain't rocket science - they could EASILY fix this and for some bizarre reason choose not to.

To @stlcharcoal's point - perhaps more of us need to complain directly to Firecraft.

BTW, I've also ordered lump from Amazon and have NONE of these issues - for about $1 / lb (FOGO on sale).  That stuff rocks.  I'd prefer to support our friends (eg: @stlcharcoal) from the forum, though, so if we can get this fixed, RW could be my goto lump.  But I know I hate getting the boxes from FC all banged up and the entire interior (including DP rubs) just covered in soot and lump dust.

Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    edited June 2015
    I had the same experience - ripped bag and dusty box. Still a Rockwood fan but I'm on the Sugar Maple train right now .
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    edited June 2015

I have none of these issues y'all speak of. My charcoal is always available at Walmart. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Lit said:
    Good lord man. There's simply no pleasing you. I feel bad for your wife and anybody else that has to live with you. I can't remember the last time you said something positive around here. 
  • 4Runner
    Lit said:
    Good lord man. There's simply no pleasing you. I feel bad for your wife and anybody else that has to live with you. I can't remember the last time you said something positive around here. 
    Even on a bad capture she is outstanding.  
  • DoubleEgger
    And the woman can cook! 
  • johnmitchell
    4Runner said:
    Durangler said:
    Okay...I'm spent.  
    I think this one needs to get back in the rotation...
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    4Runner said:
    Lit said:
    Even on a bad capture she is outstanding.  
    Downs? They look up to me.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    She looks like her dusty packaging is getting ripped in that one...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• henapple
    Apparently @stlcharcoal has people lined up offering favors. Owns a charcoal company and receiving benefits.. I'm jealous. 
  • hoffmand
    hoffmand Posts: 105
    edited June 2015
    Alright, back on topic. I opened up the bag that shipped alone in the smaller box and it's beautiful  :)

And here are the bigger pieces from the bag that was split open. These are cooking chicken breasts now. 

And these are the small pieces i put in a bin that I'll mix into other bags

The RW lit a little slower than OO with my HF heat gun but it smells great and gave nice clean smoke after just a few minutes.  So far, so good!
    Cedar Park, TX
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    I can't see a rock? Maybe you should ask for a refund.
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I had no idea they were giving money away in bags of RW, I'm going to order some right away.  Is it always $1s?
  • henapple
    Willie Wonka Gold Ticket. ... @stlcharcoal ...come on man. Make up for the crappy lump everybody  (-1) loves.
  • johnmitchell
    @hoffmand That all looks awesome... No problem..
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    hoffmand said:
    Alright, back on topic. I opened up the bag that shipped alone in the smaller box and it's beautiful  :)

And here are the bigger pieces from the bag that was split open. These are cooking chicken breasts now. 

And these are the small pieces i put in a bin that I'll mix into other bags

The RW lit a little slower than OO with my HF heat gun but it smells great and gave nice clean smoke after just a few minutes.  So far, so good!
    @hoffmand - with the risk of sounding like a smart a$$ which I am not trying to be. If you would have checked your bags and those pics had been attached to the original post there wouldn't have been 4 pages of drama on how Firecraft sucks and RW doesn't ship well.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • hoffmand
    hoffmand Posts: 105
    @hoffmand - with the risk of sounding like a smart a$$ which I am not trying to be. If you would have checked your bags and those pics had been attached to the original post there wouldn't have been 4 pages of drama on how Firecraft sucks and RW doesn't ship well.  
    The original post was just to show how the box arrived from FedEx.  I had to check one of the bags because it was split open and dumped out in the cardboard box. I didn't originally post that picture since it's not fair to @stlcharcoal since it was obviously damaged in shipping from Firecraft to me.   I don't make a habit of opening all my bags of charcoal before using them but I figured I should open and photograph the best and worst looking ones since Lit some people were getting their feelings hurt.  

I think it's safe to say that @stlcharcoal makes great charcoal and if it's shipped well the big pieces hold up fine.  Firecraft shipped 4 bags in one box and the bottom bag got trashed.  Some people may be interested in that since ordering RW this way can already be more expensive than imported brands at HD and Walmart.  For me, it's still worth it.  Plus, I got a free $1 bill in every bag!
    Cedar Park, TX