Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware Flat cap to snuff out the coals

Bjorg
Bjorg Posts: 241
I have the smokeware cap and just saw a new product they released. The Flat cap to snuff the coals. Anybody tried it? Does it save coal?

http://smokeware.com/products/flat-cap
Quebec - Canada

Comments

• aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Interesting new product.  I have a Smokeware cap on my Large and when I shut down I just turn it to make sure the vents are closed and it snuffs out the coals just fine.  I haven't really noticed it taking any longer than it would take if I used the BGE stock ceramic cap.  I know one thing, that Smokeware gets hot as hell during the cook so you better have a good glove to take it off and use this.  You can go glove free just turning it with the tab since you're only in contact with it for a second or 2.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Bjorg said:
    I have the smokeware cap and just saw a new product they released. The Flat cap to snuff the coals. Anybody tried it? Does it save coal?

Both my new cap and the flat cap arrived yesterday! I already had one on my large so this will go on my medium. Great products!!!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    edited June 2015
    BTW - the camera perspective is bad as it appeared the flat cap is larger than the SmokeWare, but it is not - it fits inside just fine, plus that flat cap has a gasket so snuffing will never be an issue, but personally I never thought I had an issue anyway!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Both my caps work great.  Highly recommend them.  My xl snuffs ok without the cap (faster with it), but my medium needs the flat cap to snuff out.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    I knew it wasn't my imagination, the regular cap does not do a good job snuffing out hence this release.
    Seattle, WA
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    My cap snuffs the fire out just fine...

The cap in the pic looks like the holes on the interior portion of the chimney are now a different shape. Any reason for the change?
  • RRP
    hapster said:
    My cap snuffs the fire out just fine...

The cap in the pic looks like the holes on the interior portion of the chimney are now a different shape. Any reason for the change?
    Good catch - that is for finer tuning in lower temperatures.
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    My flat cap for my large arrived yesterday.  I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I have had my SS cap for about 6 months.  Haven't really seen a need for anything more.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • YYZegger
    YYZegger Posts: 231
    I don't have a ceramic cap any longer, I only use my daisy wheel cap to shut it down and works ok I guess. Is the SS one better to use?
    Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • scmoose
    scmoose Posts: 164
    Not to mention the dome on the cap is shaped different.  Its more of a round shape and the bottom of the dome is rounded more.  A much cleaner look than the one I just bought at my local dealer.
  • RRP
    scmoose said:
    Not to mention the dome on the cap is shaped different.  Its more of a round shape and the bottom of the dome is rounded more.  A much cleaner look than the one I just bought at my local dealer.
    I agree - the changes are subtle unless you have an older and newer one side by side. The new cap appears to have been spun on a lathe vs punched out with a metal die. Also my first one was a tight fit but this new one is even a closer tolerance! Did I need the flat cap? No...will I even use it? Not sure, but I love "toys"! BTW given the quality of this flat cap @Jeepster and I agreed the other day - we are both surprised at the selling price of this piece which between the material used plus the labor to make and assemble each one by hand is simply a great bargain!
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Y'all shouldn't forget @Jeepster47 thought this thing up. Glad it's in production, I'll be ordering one. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    Thanks for the input. It must snuff out the fire a little faster therfore pay for itself long term. I will be getting one.
    Quebec - Canada
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Jeremiah said:
    Y'all shouldn't forget @Jeepster47 thought this thing up. Glad it's in production, I'll be ordering one. 
    That's what I was about to say. He get any compensation??

XLBGE 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I am having a dilemma here.  For Father's Day I want either the Woo2 or the Smokeware cap for my XL, but I think I want the AR too.  I think I will ask for the cap first, because it doesn't seem to want to quit raining here and if I got the AR/Woo2 combo for my birthday it would be cheaper.  What are your guys thoughts.  Just hope SWMBO will go for it. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Question; Can the flat cap replace the BGE ceramic cap?  Mine busted up after it froze to the cover last winter.  It unfroze after I lifted the cover and busted into 10 pieces.  It's currently held together with duct tape.  I do not have the smokeware vent.  Will this Smokeware cap fit on the Egg by itself without the Smokeware vent.  I'm thinking it will fall off easily.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    @500 yeah you really need both. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • RRP
    500 said:
    Question; Can the flat cap replace the BGE ceramic cap?  .
    Sure! I believe it can replace the ceramic cap! OTOH if you cover your egg then there is all likelihood that it will fall off unless you are real careful when uncovering.
    So it does not somehow hold onto the Egg?  It's just sitting on top, easily slip off? 
    Member since 2009
  • RRP
    500 said:
    So it does not somehow hold onto the Egg?  It's just sitting on top, easily slip off? 
    Correct - it just sits there - but when used in conjunction with the SmokeWare cap it was designed to be used with then it would stay in tact when the dome was opened or the cover yanked off.
  • RRP
    Note the Nomex gasket on the bottom. BTW it weights 1# 3.25oz so it's not lite weight like a Tip Top unit.

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    I rarely take the daisy wheel off. I'm starting to dig the rust! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

Thanks @RRP The Smokeware description makes it sound like its a replacement for the cap
    Member since 2009
  • mhoutman
    mhoutman Posts: 57
    edited June 2015
    I have the chimney cap now for about 2,5 years and I love it. (I was the first to have this product in the EU).

Yet I have the "old" version without the silicone tab. Last week I got a mail regarding new products and a coupon code "DAD" (-17%) for fathers day. I immediately ordered the flat cap and asked them about the silicone tab. The kind person Carlyn from sales support told me she would add a few for free with the parcel. Such a great service.

The stainless steel chimney cap perfectly fits the looks of the stainless steel draft door and I wanted the flat cap to make it a optimal combo.

@500 yes then flat cap is a replacement for the ceramic one
    Dutch EGGhead and proud owner of a Big Green Egg Large, MiniMax and Mini
  • I received my flat cap last week. While I liked the Smokeware cap I didn't like the amount of time it took my egg to shut down. When I used my daisy wheel and ceramic cap shut down was relatively quick. Once I starter using Smokewares cap shut down a lot longer since my Smokeware cap had play on its base causing an air leak. While this play didn't affect any of my cooks it did affect shutdown. Now that I have been using Smokewares flat cap shutdown time of my egg is much shorter. It's a well made and like "RRP" mentioned it's a lot heavier then it looks. Highly recommend if you have a Smokeware cap. Cheers!
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Once mine got caked up enough from a couple of cooks, it seals up well enough, not enough to need the flat cap.

But I do like how the vent on the new caps are angled when you close them down, really like that design better.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Bjorg said:

"Note: Our vented chimney cap is designed to extinguish the coals when fully closed but purists may prefer using our Flat Cap."

Well that pisses me off!!!  Calling me a "purist" because I recognize the fact my standard SS cap does not seal perfectly and consequently, while yes it does shut down the BGE, it doesn't shut it down as quickly.  I'm no effing purist, I'm just an engineer that notices how things work, and witnessed smoke escaping from my "closed" smokeware cap and realize that is why my Egg wasn't cooling off as quickly as it used to.  I don't take lightly to insulting name calling, especially from businesses who should no better than to insult their customers.  I like using my SS, but I am now officially in the unhappy customer category.  Unhappy customers are not repeat customers.  It will be interesting to see if Smokeware can make me a Happy customer.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    I may be missing something, but my factory daisy wheel does an excellent job extinguishing the coals for me. Now my egg is under a covered gazebo and the daisy wheel does not rust. The wheel is very well seasoned and has a good coating of smoke which aids in making an airtight  seal when it is closed.

If its not 100% airtight I can't tell the difference.

I have gotten used to the daisy wheel and can control the temperature very well.

Is the a reason to get a flat cap or one of the other stainless vent caps?