Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is this a cut up Tri-Tip?

Options
Eggecutioner
Eggecutioner Posts: 628
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picture001.jpg
<p /> Here is what the Package says "Beef Loin Bottom Sirloin Tri-Tip Steak", I got these at Sams Club today. They are cut about 1.25 inches thick. I really don't know if this was a tri tip that was cut up or if it's something else.
Regardless, I'm going to try the 100 degree water trick and a fast 600-700 degree sear

Comments

• crkscrw
    crkscrw Posts: 59
    Options
    Eggecutioner,[p]Don't know about tri-tip, but sirloin is sirloin. I got something similar this week at Food Lion (although I don't think it was anywhere near Choice) and did the 100 degree water thing. Awesome! That method is definitely a keeper.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    Can't tell by the pic, but make sure you slice against the grain.
    The ones I usually get are much thinner and I use for Kabobs.[p]Mike

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Eggecutioner,[p]You can't go wrong there. Be ready for a short cook time.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Eggecutioner,
    I have picked up tri-tips like that at Costco. Sometimes they'll have the entire tri tip roast and other times they will cut them up like you show there.[p]I cooked some at 600-650 until medium rare and they were great. My favorite was using the Cow lick rub from Dizzy. I went with the 600 to 650 because it wasn't worth it to sear them at 750 and then let them rest since they were somewhat thin. But I don't think you'll be disappointed.

• Eggecutioner,
    Yes your package looks like Tri-Tip steaks. Our Sams doesnt seem interested in carrying Tri-Tip but I am sure that it would sell if they did.
    What is the 100 degree water method that you mentioned?

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    Regardless of what type of meat this was, I cooked it...LOL The flavor was pretty good. It was kinda odd; one bite would be kinda tough (aldente), then the next slice would be as tender as tenderloin. Is this the way Tri-Tips are? Maybe these were like this because they were sliced into steaks? I don't know. I think I would have rather spent my money on Porterhouse steaks. Not that they were bad, I just know what to expect from other cuts of meat.[p]Eggecutioner[p][p]Here is the meat, rubbed with olive oil and Montreal Steak, poor mans vacuum packed bag (ziplock and a straw). Floating (actually sinking) in 97 degree water. I only got to soak it about 35 minutes.
    P4080411.jpg[p]After 35 minutes, the internal meat temp was 81 degrees.
    P4080412.jpg[p]Had the egg churning at about 600. I think the temp was just right, cause the grill marks were pretty. LOL
    P4080413.jpg[p]Nice and hot fire, I thought about cooking them directly on the coals, but that is for another time.
    P4080414.jpg[p]Here they are right off the grill. See what I mean about those grill marks. lol
    P4080416.jpg[p]Here it is plated. Funny thing happened. My wife must be getting used to me taking pics of our food. She actually moved the parmesean cheese jar out of the frame. She must have known I wouldn't like it in the pic.
    Oh, but the way the parmesean cheese was for the buttered asparagus.
    P4080418.jpg

• JeffHughes
    JeffHughes Posts: 100
    Options
    Eggecutioner,[p]If your Sam's has steaks, then they can sell you the roasts(six to a cryovac) at around 3.50/lb.[p]They cook up much nicer than the steaks and you can carve them in thin slices against the grain. [p]Very tender, tastey, and economical...[p]Try smoke(I like pecan) roasting them at 300* or so to 125* internal. Then rest for about 10 minutes and slice and serve...[p]You will be a hero...[p]Regards--Jeff[p]

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    Jeff Hughes,[p]I talked to the butcher, he said they were good for the grill. I never even thought to ask for a whole one. I like the slower roasting cook idea too.[p]Thanks -
    E

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    Nice work! Mine, not so good. :o( Think I'll stay with cooking "cool" steaks and be slow, like I'm use to.
    Slow Poke Clay

• MasterMason
    MasterMason Posts: 243
    Options
    Eggecutioner,[p]
    Yes those were tri tip steaks, they are also called coulot (sp) steaks That is what it sounds like not sure it is spelled right.