Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does anyone name their egg?

Hey all, I'm Ryan and I'm a first time egger. I've never even seen one in person until I picked mine up two days ago! I have now done three cooks and am not sure I can take a day off. I've kept it simple so far, just grilling up sausage, chicken breast and burgers but I'm very anxious to step it up a notch. I'm not new to BBQing. I've been using Josephine (gas grill) and Wendy (Weber charcoal) around 4 or 5 times a week for the last 15 years. But the Egg has SO much more potential!
I have a couple of nieve questions...
1-when you guys say "raised-indirect", how do you raise the grill? Do I need to purchase a seperate grill? I've seen some pics of a cool setup where there are multiple levels. Do they sell this in Canada? Where can I buy it?
2-Does anyone else name their Q's? 
sorry if that's weird.
Anyways, REALLY looking forward to this new adventure. I'll post some pics when I figure that out. I'm also hoping to build a table in the near future and will be checking out the Table Forum.

St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Www.ceramicgrillstore.com. 

Welcome
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    I raise my grid by using three firebricks. Works great. 
    NW IOWA
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Welcome. Everything you ask is here. read up. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    First question my daughter asked me when she came home for a visit this week was "have you named your egg yet"? Not yet, but I'm sure she will have one for it in the next couple days.  
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • keener75
    keener75 Posts: 392
    Thanks Chubbs. I have ordered a PSWoo2 and the Extender + 16" D Grid. 
    That website is awesome! 
  • keener75
    keener75 Posts: 392
    Nice Bentgrass. Let me know when you come up with a name. I'd be interested.
    I've thought about Susie (after my daughter mentioned Dr. Suess's Green Eggs and Ham)...but not sold on it yet. 
    Josephie, Wendy and Susie doesn't have a bad ring to it tho...

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Chubbs said:
    Www.ceramicgrillstore.com. 

Welcome
    This..
    GWN
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Well, not that I call my Egg by a name, but as I bought a custom wood handle for it, I used my BGE sign in ID, so I guess you could say my Egg is named Zmokin, because it's right there on the handle.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Been thinking Kate would be good... As in Upton, because they aw both smokin hot.
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Have 4 and at one time all were named. 3 say "Mickey" on the handle and damn if I can remember what the names were. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Have fun and believe everything @Mickey tells you!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DeltaNu1142
    DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266
    My wife's Venezuelan... so she's always asking if I'm going to cook something on the huevito. It actually doesn't get called anything else in my house.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Raised? Bricks, PSWoo2 (Ceramicgrillstore), Beer Cans, Adjustable Rig (Ceramicgrillstore)......anything that will not burn and raised the grate to the felt/gasket line. 

Here are a few more tips:

Tips for your New BIG GREEN EGG from THE BIG GRILL SHOP!

Make a calendar event  to tighten your band bolts in 30 days. Especially the top band that holds the dome. (My Dome fell off a tall deck. The Egg Gods were with with me, it didn’t break!)

2.  Go to www.biggreenegg.com and register your new Egg. While there, go to The Forum and register. Tons of information, recipes, photos, how-to’s and (usually) good banter. 

3. YouTube is your friend. Google “Big Green Egg (insert name of food)”. Lots of tips and tricks. 

4.  Get in the habit of “Burping” your Egg from the first cook. What is “Burping” you ask? Google is your friend. 

5. Buy a good thermometer to take meat temperatures. Thermo-pens are popular. Thermo-pops are (cheaper and) popular. Amazon is your friend. With the Egg, you cook meats and fish to a temperature. The time to cook is not the key (but you’ll learn what takes how long for planning purposes). 

6. Don’t do a high temp cook (500 degrees plus) for the first few cooks. You need to break in the gasket - the felt seals around the base and the dome. 

7. “Spatchcock” Chicken is a popular first cook. Search “Spatchcock” in the Big Green Egg Forum’s search feature. It’s a 375 degree cook and the chicken will  AMAZE you. 

8. Pork Butts and Ribs are popular first “Low and Slow” cooks at 225-250 degrees. Depending on size, Butts can take several hours to hit 200-205 degrees when it will probe like “butah” . Ribs, depending on method, can take several hours to pass the “bend test”

9. Learn the terms: Direct, Raised Grate and Indirect and how/when to employ them. 

10. Setting and controlling temperatures can take some practice . Remember, it’s all about air flow. More air, more heat. And when cooking a “Low and Slow” it’s MUCH EASIER to catch the temp on the way up then trying to cool it down.

11. You are about to become a Rub Hoarder. DizzyDust, Big Byron’s Butt Rub and Oakridge BBQ are popular. There are a TON of rubs on the market. Make room in the pantry. Try them. 

12. Big Green Egg lump is smokey. Brands like Rockwood, Nature Glo, Sugar Maple and others are not. EGGsperiment with what lump you like with what food. All lump is not created equal - burns faster, burns longer, lights faster, lights slower, produces little/ a lot of ash, etc. 

13. Eggsperiment with smoking woods. Hickory for Butts, for example, Apple for Chicken. Try it!

12. In addition to BGE Eggsessoires sold by the Big Grill Shop, there are a ton of 3rd party products to suit your every BGE need. Shop around, search the Forum.

New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Oh, I just call mine the Egg or the Grill. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    My wife calls my MM my "little buddy"
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited June 2015
    My large BGE:

A restored Imperial Kamado that cost :

A small BGE that a dealer gave me after his truck backed into my car at an eggfest:

My latest, a #4 Kamado direct from Japan after 40 years, I bought at an estate sale and call it "Black Beauty". The handle is not here yet. 

And a medium BGE that is my lady friends, it is named "MIMI" 'cause her 10 year old grandson called her that when he was small.
    Woodmonkey is online now Report Post  

• gmbbs
    gmbbs Posts: 110
    I have custom handles for my large and my mini: Big Enos and Little Enos. Added a small, no handle yet but it's Biggie Smalls. Dunno what I'm going to call the MM when I get it!
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Welcome Ryan! I call mine the Captain, after my airline pilot dad I inherited mine from. He is honored every cook!
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Great post @THEBuckeye!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    @Mickey is the George Foreman of the Egghead world. Very nice handle I must say though.  =)
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Nope no name for either of my eggs. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Haven't named the XL or mini, but I have named the medium... "Dragon"...
    because it comes up to temp so fast and is a steak seering machine.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    My XL is named the Triple Nickel. 

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    "Mr. Happy". Oh wait, I just re-read the title of your thread!

Welcome to the lifestyle. Looking forward to seeing pics of your future cooks.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    That's supposed to be my line @fearlesstheeggnoob
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Downr@nge
    Downr@nge Posts: 83
    I've called my XL "Agnes" since day one lol.  
    XL Big Green  Egg 
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    edited June 2015
    keener75 said:
    2-Does anyone else name their Q's?

I call it "Johnson"  ...I have a Large Johnson.  I'm saving up till I can get an Extra Large Johnson.

keener75 said:
    sorry if that's weird.

Really?? On THIS forum, you're apologizing for "weird"??

San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited June 2015
    I've avoided admitting this, but yes I had Lawn Ranger add my choice of names (nothing original here so move along if that bothers you LOL) on all my custom handles he has made me.
    L - says RRP Papa
    M - says RRP Mama
    S - says RRP Junior
    Mini - says RRP Baby

Here was my first born!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.