Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rain Hat for med and lg

Canuck
Canuck Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone happen to know what size chimney cap I need to buy for a large and med. I'm going to be doing and overnighter and the weather here in Atlanta is supposed to get a little rough, and I'd like to keep the rain out. [p]Thanks[p][p]

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Canuck,
    I use a three pound coffee can with holes punched around the upper edge. It fits over the daisy wheel and does not impeed air flow. Works fine in Raleigh and that ain't so different than Atlanta.

• Canuck,[p]I use one with a 7" diameter

• Morro Bay Rich,[p]I think the recommendation is 7 inch.[p]This is the one I use, it is a 6 inch. It fits a little snug, but then again it doesn't blow away. You can see the daisey wheel under the rain cap. I have high winds at my house.[p]P1010352.jpg
  • Canuck,
    I have never used one and I have cooked through some real frog stranglers. As far as I can tell the egg has never missed a beat in a storm.

• billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    measure across and go to Menards. They have rain caps that fit exact. I saw it put up on the forum a while ago and got one. I used it once but it worked great. I also got a vent that twists to about a 45 degree angle for my chimney so I can lite the lump outside without the chance of burning down the shed. Works great.
    bill
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Eggecutioner, i use a coffee can too... works fine!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    IMG_0209.jpg
    <p />Canuck, this coolie-style vent cap works great for me. It has a 6" throat. Just remember whatever you use that the metal gets skin-burning HOT!!!!!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    RRP,[p]What wood did you use in your table? Looks tropical.
  • RRP
    Haggis,
    actually I made that table six years ago from what was then commonly referred to as "brown" treated wood. As compared to the common green colored treated wood the brown was 40% more costly because it was a better grade of wood to start with and the usual twisted boards etc was non-existant. The boards were also further preserved at the factory due to deck stain. In order to cover cuts etc I applied the same brand which was Olympic deck stain, semi-transparent and the color was Clove Brown. Due to changes in law I don't believe it is even being made anymore...but since I have never made it a practice to eat off the table I'm not fretting about it! BTW that is a cutting board shelf on the opposite end that folds down so a long style BGE cover fits nicely. Also note that the riser to make the small protude through the table top serves as the carcass for a drawer that holds cooking tools etc.

• RRP
    IMG_00321.jpg
    <p />LOL...senior moment there! I forgot the pix I referred to was on a different thread!