Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

L or XL

Options
SuperDave
SuperDave Posts: 319
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am completely sold on the Big Green Egg. Money or space is not really an issue and I am hankering to buy one now. Should I buy the L or XL. L seems to be more popular and proven, but I wonder if some additional space would be helpful . Any advice from experienced egg heads would be appreciated.

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Super Dave,
    Unless you are planning on cooking for more than 6-8 people, the large is the way to go. When cooking for 4 on the large I always have lots of leftovers and it isn't because the 4 don't like what was cooked (i.e. they are big eaters).[p]Just my $0.02

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Super Dave,
    I'd recommend the large, unless you're cooking for a huge crowd every night. Most of us cook for 2-4 people at any one time, so an XL is a bit of overkill and you'll use a lot less lump with the large. IMO, it's just not a good choice as your one and only egg.........

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Super Dave,
    I have to agree with the others that the large is the way to go. I would also recommend that since money is no object and the delta between L and XL is close to the cost of a small egg you could have the best of both worlds. I waited a few months before I added my small but I have not regretted it at all. The small is just as versatile as the large but now you have options. Cook your meat on the large and veggies on the small. Or cook meat and veggies on the large and baked bread on the small. Whatever you decide you can rest assured you will be happy.

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • terrafirmay
    Options
    Super Dave,
    I remember what I went through several years ago before I bought my BGE. The large seemed so small; much too small I told myself a dozen times. If the extra large had been available, I would have bought it - - and it would have been a terrible mistake. The large BGE holds a lot of food. Depending on what I'm cooking, my large can easily feed eight or more. It will cook at least six beer can chickens; two or three legs of lamb. Lots of NY strips, more briskets and pork shoulders than I can imagine cooking. Chicken parts for eight.[p]I bought a small BGE several months after the large because everyone on this forum raved about it. The small (which looks very small) feeds my family of four. It holds three beer can chickens or two flank steaks, a large leg of lamb, and cooks the most wonderful steaks imaginable. If I could buy only one BGE, it would be a small.[p]****

• Lab Rat
    Lab Rat Posts: 147
    Options
    Super Dave,[p]Thanks for asking the question. I'm in the same situation. The 18.5" Large seems too small, but I'm not sure I like the "look" of the XL (see previous post on XL Geometry). [p]I normally cook for 4-8 people. On the fourth of July we have a big (and getting bigger) bash where I cook ribs for about 70. We like to entertain, but I don't know if the XL is going to be overkill 90% of the time.[p]Lab Rat
  • hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    Options
    Lab Rat,
    There was a similar discussion held here recently where it was posed that the best choice for those for whom 'money is not an issue' get both a large and a small. If you compare the cost/surface area of an XL to that of the combo you're better off getting both. An XL is going to eat charcoal like nobodys business. The LG+SM will fulfill all your needs while giving you the option to cook different things at different temps AT THE SAME TIME.
    Good luck with whatever you decide! I'm deciding between a mini and small at the moment.

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Lab Rat,
    Are you an MT?[p]The large small might be the option for you....although 70 people is going to be a challenge if ribs are the main dinner item. You might need the large, large, large, large option. You can really pack ribs in if you want.[p]

• Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    If you like to cook whole slabs of ribs and lots of them. Get the XL. With a second shelf I cooked 21 slabs a few weeks back and still had room left over.

If you don't plan on doing that then get the large.

Whatever you do get one.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Lab Rat,[p]I've had the 22(?) inch Weber Kettle grills for 25 years and can't recall every filling the space. The only way I've filled my large BGE is with multiple slabs of ribs placed flat on the grill - but if you do them in a rack that isn't a problem.
  • Lab Rat
    Lab Rat Posts: 147
    Options
    dhuffjr,[p]Not an MT. I work with Power Station Chemistry.[p]Last year I cooked on a Weber Gas grill and two 22" kettles. Like I said, this thing keeps growing..[p]Part of my search for a different grill was that, although happy with the Weber Gas grill on keeping and maintaining the 250 degree temperature to slow cook the ribs, I found that I greatly preferred the taste of the ribs cooked on the charcoal kettles. [p]In addition, I have never been happy attempting to use wood chips on the gas grill. I tried the foil and metal box methods with disappointing results. The cedar planked salmon, however, turned out great on the gas grill.[p]Lab Rat
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    I forgot one more thing the XL is not very portable its 200+ pounds. It rolls around easily in the nest. So you can roll it around your patio and probably down the street if you wanted to take to a neighbors. But it would be awkward to have to lift and place in the back of a trailer or a truck. I've moved mine once in my suburban and probably won't do it again, unless I move. But I imagine the large is not easy to move either but I'm sure it is not as much of a challange.

I've actually been contemplating buying a small egg for tailgating and camping.
  • Maple Egg
    Maple Egg Posts: 31
    Options
    Hi,

Here's a different consideration...

I'm 165 LBS. The lid on the XL is (I'm told) 78LBS with no spring assist. I'm in my mid 40's and the only workout I look forward to is cracking the lid on my favourite beer! LOL.

I have a large and am happy. looking to add a medium soon.

Maple Egg