Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Anyone have a foam mattress?

Options
hondabbq
hondabbq Posts: 1,980
we are in the market for a new mattress. I am a bigger guy, 290 lbs, and our current mattress has some sag. We don't know anyone with one, so I was hoping someone here may have some insight. 

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,184
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Yes. And a $4k six month old Tempurpedic is in my attic. Got a Sleep Number. Only bed that won't sag. Bought a Latex originally, then spring, then Tempur, then Sleep Number all within 3 years. My wife is picky about her sleep. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Oh this will be popular thread. We went through this last summer. Tried them all out. Sleep number, temperpedic,... We ended up with serta's memory foam mattress.  It was the same price as the tempepedic, we just liked it better. They all have their pros and cons, it's just a matter of preference. My mind was made up on the sleep number until I layed on it. To me it was just a glorified air matress. By the time it gave me enough support, it was in the 80s on their remote. Plus I didn't feel comfortable trusting all the moving parts and pumps to last.  That said, the memory foams are HOT. I don't care what the salesman says. They're frigging hot. If I was to buy another, I'd spring for the dual adjustable one. Again, it's all what you like. I love mine. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • nlovold
    nlovold Posts: 194
    Options
    About six months ago we replaced our expensive pillowtop with a memory foam mattress because it was starting to sag. I am about the same size and was afraid I wouldn't like it, but we both love it.  I would highly recommend getting >11", cooling gel, and firm.  

We took a chance and bought one on overstock.com, thinking if we didn't like we could put it in a guest bedroom.  We love it!  I think the one we got was a Grand Hotel Collection 14", and at $700, was less than half the money of the one it replaced.
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options

I feel your pain; I have been through the mattress failures.  Currently bought a Bragada a couple months ago.  Love it so far. 

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    Just spent $8k on a Temperpedic that is adjustable and the "cooler" version. If it weren't for the money spent I would really like this mattress. Sometimes I simply miss my $8k. Tried a sleep number for a few nights and didn't care for it at all

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Love our temper. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,184
    Options
    I have a Tempur I'll sell CHEAP. PM me. 
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I have a Tempur I'll sell CHEAP. PM me. 
    Little too far for shipping. Lol. Thanks for the offer though. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Once you get a new mattress, don't forget the pillow. Get a 'My Pillow' thing'll change your life .
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I have a Tempurpedic and love it.  I sleep so much better on it, no morning back pain, makes me regret waiting so long to buy one.  Is it expensive, yes, but how much are you willing to pay to eliminate waking up with back-pain.
    YMMV as I only tip the scales a little over 200, but my first experience on a Tempur was at a hotel, and I learned there how comfortable it was for me.

Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    We got a Prana two years ago. Very happy with it. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    I've been sleeping on one of these:

http://www.webfuton.com/beds/gemini_bed.shtml

for the last dozen years.

I weigh more than you. We really like it. We put a wool/sheepskin mattress pad on it just because we have always used one.

We'll replace it with the same thing whenever it is time.

You can probably find a local futon store that might have one you can check out.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    nope but my wife insisted on the 3k bed you adjust. You adjust it once!
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Not sure where all they have them but we went to the Atlanta home show last year on a Saturday and they had a temper pedic area and all the demos were for sale for 50% off. They were demos for just that show and the fully adjustable queen that was normally $6k was $3k. They were all sold already on Saturday the rep said you have to get there Friday morning to get one.  Maybe see if you have a home show locally?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Looked at them hard. Just couldn't get over the heat, they are warmer and that is not a good thing in the middle of Texas. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited June 2015
    Options

After looking and pricing forever, we finally bought a memory foam mattress from Costco online for about a quarter of the others we were considering.  That was over a year ago and I'm so glad we did.  They have a no questions asked return policy which made it easy, but I spent about $600 when I was planning on spending around $3K.

I have little doubt that it's as good or close to the quality of the others we were looking at that were 4x the price.  We have loved it so far.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    We bought a tempurpedic maybe 5 years ago.  Love it.  It is hotter than a regular mattress but not unreasonable IMO.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sleep number with an articulating frame.  I'm always passing out drunk so I don't appreciate it like SWMBO does.  But I wake up intact without numb spots, muscular or skeletal issues. 
    Options
    We ended up with a stearns and foster hybrid spring and foam. Its the bees knees, but it better be for 3500. Bad a tempur before, sagged after 5 years and it was hot to sleep on. New bed rules. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Hybrids are the new big thing.  All mattresses are vodoo if you ask me ( I work in home furnishings but not mattresses).  That said we have an all latex in our guest room I like a touch more than our tempurpedic but it did eliminate numb shoulder and hip pain.  A good mattress pad and pillows are a must.  And don't be cheap get the right foundation it will help with sagging a ton.
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    Resently researched everything and ended up with a Casper for my daughter. Unbelievably convenient. Crazy comfortable. Stupid affordable. SWMBO and I would replace ours if we didn't (foolishly) have so much money in it.

Seriously worth checking out. www.casper.com
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I'm pretty heavy, too, and my Tempurpedic Grand is the best bed I've found so far. My wife and I tried Sleep Number for several years, found it OK but a disappointment, MUCH prefer the Tempurpedic.  We don't find it hot.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Consumer Reports did a comparo of mattresses last month, if you can find that issue it might help.
    One thing I picked up from it, that I wish I knew earlier, is that mattresses have huge mark-ups, you can talk them down quite a bit (so, once you find your perfect bed, don't buy it yet; get the best price, then turn to SWMBO and say "Honey, let's try that Sleep-Number up the street one more time" before committing. ) 
    TempurPedic here, which I'd bought one 20 years ago; I would go for the cooling top they have now, however.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I got the cheaper tempur. $2.5k or so. My only regret is that I didn't go all out. 

I'll never not have one. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    I have a Dormeo. Love it. 
    GWN
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Ikea has some highly rated mattresses as per the rating sites.  Memory foam and latex.  Thought I'd mention it.

Phoenix 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Sleep number for us. Love it and never be without one. 
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    @SMITTYtheSMOKER   We have the same Tempurpedic as y'all. Love ours. Miss the 8k but worth it.   I have a fan blowing on me all night to combat that summer heat coming off the bed. 
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Got a good chuckle reading this..

I'm a polyurethane foam chemist, and I make all sorts of foam. Many of which are found in all the big OEM companies and the smaller store branded stuff. Even the new online places that sell all foam beds.

FWIW.. thicker ain't better, higher density is better, but the core has to be something worth while. 1.8# and above. Look for something ventilated with holes in it, or something with a more beathable cell structure. 

Tempur buyers I feel sorry for, seriously. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options
    We just got adjustable bases delivered this week from Leggett and Platt.  SU says he will never sleep flat again.  Personally, I think I'm in love.