Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

my recommendation for an inexpensive knife for most everybody

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
I know we have folks here who have sets of incredible cutlery that range from very expensive outlays to sets of heirloom quality. I mean this as NO offense to anyone. OK? One inexpensive knife I recommend that I love is this Rapala filet knife. They really are cheap and are sold at most sporting goods stores and even the "big box stores"! Tonight I was fixing stuffed butterflied pork and as usual I relied on this OLD, but cheap, but still razor sharp Rapala to butterfly them. Come on now...even the leather sheath is cool isn't it? LOL!!!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• shadowcaster
    shadowcaster Posts: 620
    Options
    I agree! I still use my rapala to trim a lot of different things. For the money I don't think you can beat them.
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I'll have to find one. Thanks.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I've had one for years. Not sure I've ever used it. Don't even know where it is. Probably in my tackle box... wherever that is. LOL

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Nope. Found it in my kitchen. Thing is super sharp - guess I should use it! Mine is a Case, not a Rapala.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I picked this up last summer at a flea market when visiting an egghead friend in North Dakota. I even picked it up half price. A whole $2.50. Made in 1983 by Chicago Cutlery. Never been out of it's wrapping. I want to open it and use it but almost feels wrong after it's been in it's original shrink wrap for 32 years!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Filet knives are hard to sharpen. Just buy a cheap chefs knife and learn to sharpen it and you are golden. 
  • RRP
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I'll have to find one. Thanks.
    Please send me a PM. OK?
  • RRP
    Options
    Lit said:
    Filet knives are hard to sharpen. Just buy a cheap chefs knife and learn to sharpen it and you are golden. 
    True to a certain degree - but if treated with respect they will last stay sharp and last you for years! THAT was the entire purpose of my tread tonight. OK? These are razor sharp with very thin blades. - Try to up firewood for your camp fire will make this otherwise CHEAP, but very sharp knife worthless very quickly.  =)
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I have one of those Ron. We leave it at the camp. I have a handmade filet knife here at home that a friend made. I keep intending to send it to @sgh to try to sharpen but cant seem to ever get around to it. 

Little Rock, AR

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I have one of those Ron. We leave it at the camp. I have a handmade filet knife here at home that a friend made. I keep intending to send it to @sgh to try to sharpen but cant seem to ever get around to it. 
    Filet knives are really hard to hand sharpen I have a decent amount of experience and I think a preset angle sharpener is best for them. Just not enough blade to keep the right angle and apply pressure and hold the angle. I tried a filet knife for awhile and it's in the landfill now. Only thing I can think of it would be good to have around for is to skin fish.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    The one I have is really hard steel. Sgh says he can test it and then sharpen it at proper angle. We shall see. 

Little Rock, AR

• bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    Lit said:
    Filet knives are really hard to hand sharpen I have a decent amount of experience and I think a preset angle sharpener is best for them. Just not enough blade to keep the right angle and apply pressure and hold the angle. I tried a filet knife for awhile and it's in the landfill now. Only thing I can think of it would be good to have around for is to skin fish.
    they are excellent for fish. unfortunately they require a ton of sharpening while filleting.  I am decent with an arkansas stone with these but it seems once you lose the factory edge it never holds it the same again.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    I have one just like that RRP. I have used it to fillet fish, trim brisket, and roll cut a pork loin. It came with a cheap shapener that works pretty well for me. 
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    I got me one of those too. =)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • scottcrazydog
    Options
    I use the rapala knife to skin deer and process it. Backstrap yum!!!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i like the old carbon rapalas over the newer ss but either work well. if you ever want to upgrade this is the knife, thet used to send bandaides with the knife, its the only knife i really have to take it slow with because it cuts you rather quickly =)

http://www.reedssports.com/leech-lake-knives/-245650

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Nella, a local restaurant supply chain in the Toronto area that also provides restaurant/institutional knife rental-sharpening service, sells knifes (knives?) that have past their prime but still in good shape. They are resharpened and reasonably priced.  Yes they also have the best price on Maple Leaf lump. My favourites:

$2

$5

canuckland
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Thanks Ron, I will look for one. I really need a go to knife for trimming and prep.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    I have and use mine routinely, sharper than I can get a knife.
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • ringkingpin
    ringkingpin Posts: 260
    Options
    I'm partial to Victorinox kitchen knives for good, affordable blades.

"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    Sam's club has a good selection of inexpensive kitchen knifes, for someone just getting started. I very much agree with the articles above, you can't beat a fillet knife.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    This thread is timely.  I just bought a cheap knife from Wally World for the Henapple Hoedown here in Tenn.  it's s 7" santoku style from Farberware.  I don't have a santoku knife at home, so I'm looking forward to using it later.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Navigator
    Navigator Posts: 56
    Options
    I had been using a fillet knife for years and picked up one of these after noticing Aaron Franklin using them.
    Its a winner, just as sharp as my fillet knife but the edge last longer and the curved blade make trimming much easier. The non slip grip is super handy as well. $14.99 at Amazon
    Rich
    Ashland, WI  /  Large & Mini Max
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Lit said:
    Never had a problem sharpening  mine ???

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    For Dexter knives, RD is far less than Amazon - fyi
    Phoenix 
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I have one of those Rapala fish knives as well.  Hasn't occured to me to used it for anything except cleaning a fish, which I haven't done in a long time.  I'm going to bring it into use again.  Thanks @RRP for the tip.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
    500 Posts: 3,177
    edited June 2015
    Options
    As far as an invaluable cheap knife that I use most weekends, I like this one.  It was $3 at a local restaurant supply store, Gusti's.   It's very sharp and has helped me make numerous Gimlets and Moscow Mules.  I recommend one for the home mixologist.

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009