Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket - pull, remove flat and put point back on

Options
I watched a Diners, etc, etc the other day and the KC BBQ couple were multiple award winners. Of course KC is known for burnt ends, and his technique was to pull the brisket at a stage, cut off the point, re-rubbed the portion connected to the flat, and put it back on for another four hours, leaving the flat to rest off the heat.  

This leads me to a question that will hopefully help me deal with the flats I can get easily (which have a very small piece of the point still attached, but it's not a full packer):  should the flat be run to a significantly lower temp (ie 20-30 degrees?) than the point?  My last two flats were good in spots and pretty dry in parts but the portion from the point, when cut up separately, was pure beefy magic. 

This feels like a "duh" moment, but I also hoped to hear if folks do burnt ends in this way. The four hours he quoted seems like it could result in a pretty large temperature increase, but if the point was running behind the flat to begin with that would be appropriate. 
It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'

Comments

• shadowrider
    shadowrider Posts: 108
    Options
    I've long threatened to do a whole brisket as burnt ends but I've never tried it yet.  It might be like eating the charcoal out of the bag.  :)  I might still yet if I find a flat that's cheap just as an experiment.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Burnt ends down here are the first cut off the flat and the 2 side cuts off the point from a whole brisket. Separating a brisket here is sacrilege and worthy of scorn. 

With that out of the way I will now try to be constructive :))

The point will come up to temp and become tender faster than the the flat. This is because it has a much higher fat content and fat cooks aster than lean muscle. 

All that said, I would be more concerned with texture than temp. The flat should become tender somewhere between 190 and 205. I find 200ish is around the sweet spot for me for store bought choice briskets. 

The point is where it's at for most briskets and most cooks. It's not easy to get a flat to behave consistently. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Dragonwmatches
    Options
    Thank you, sir.  I'm stuck with store bought flats until I invest in a case of packers from GFS, so that's what I have to deal with. Mostly I'm trying to keep the flat from drying out, but it's become clear that it's damn near impossible to get the entire flat to the proper texture. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thank you, sir.  I'm stuck with store bought flats until I invest in a case of packers from GFS, so that's what I have to deal with. Mostly I'm trying to keep the flat from drying out, but it's become clear that it's damn near impossible to get the entire flat to the proper texture. 
    Not that hard but definitely  takes some practice. I've ruined more than my share trying to figure it out. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Dragonwmatches
    Options
    I'm giving it another whirl tonight for an afternoon/dinner cookout. I've managed to get very good *parts* of the finished product every time, but working on a higher percentage of the good stuff.