Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FedEx 1: Rockwood 0

Options
Got my 5 bags of Rockwood from Firecraft today.  The bag that shipped alone survived fairly well but the four in the large box, not so much.  Still looking forward to trying it out though. 

Cedar Park, TX

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Geesh.......looks like they drop-kicked it to the front door.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    Have been thinking about trying rockwood but that right there is what concerns me.  It'll still burn obviously but I'm sure it's broken down into smaller pieces than it should be.  Were you an OO user before?  I'd like to hear a comparison if you were.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    Right...kind of defeats the purchase of lump size quality if its been turned to dust during shipping
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• hoffmand
    hoffmand Posts: 105
    Options
    jimithing said:
     Were you an OO user before?  I'd like to hear a comparison if you were.
    I have only used OO prior to this and these are my first bags of Rockwood. I'm running out of options in Central Texas though. Either mail order Rockwood and risk shipping damage or use BGE/RO.  I tried ordering a pallet directly from Rockwood but he doesn't have enough supply for that right now. 
    Cedar Park, TX
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I've had it look similar, but still had only minimal chips and dust when I burned through the bag.  Open the worst looking bag first, and then see how the contents are.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    What sucked the most when mine came like that is I had $40 worth of lump but $60 worth of rubs and the rubs were in a box that looked like that. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    hoffmand said:
    jimithing said:
    I have only used OO prior to this and these are my first bags of Rockwood. I'm running out of options in Central Texas though. Either mail order Rockwood and risk shipping damage or use BGE/RO.  I tried ordering a pallet directly from Rockwood but he doesn't have enough supply for that right now. 
    I tried to order a pallet from Rockwood also with the same result - "Sorry, it's all spoken for".

So I just went to Home Depot to buy a few more bags of everyones favorite - Royal Oak.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    hoffmand said:
    jimithing said:
    ROAD TRIP
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    hoffmand said:
    jimithing said:

The Central Market mesquite lump is awesome for the money. I used it for years before i found Rockwood. I still do from time to time.

I imagine I will have to again as everyone is using Rockwood and OO is no longer producing as they were. RW is going to be harder and harder to get.

As a matter of fact, I recommend that everyone reading this take note the shoddy shape of the bags and move along to something else :lol: 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • hoffmand
    hoffmand Posts: 105
    Options
    Ragtop99 said:
    I've had it look similar, but still had only minimal chips and dust when I burned through the bag.  Open the worst looking bag first, and then see how the contents are.
    Luckily the worst bag was already opened :-)  I dumped it into a bin and will use the bigger pieces from that bag first. 
    Cedar Park, TX
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options

Don't worry it will still burn just fine
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Papa1058
    Papa1058 Posts: 14
    Options
    My 5 showed up about 3 weeks ago and looked EXACTLY like that!!!  :s
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Thanks for posting this... my fear exactly right here. I'm thinking it may be worth the extra $4 per bag to order from my local Ace Hardware and let them handle the shipping. My first few bags have come from them and they were in great shape.

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Mine looked like that and had 4 to 5 lbs of unusable dust and chips all five bags from Firecraft. Charcoal is a hard item to ship. 
  • Lit
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Mine looked like that and had 4 to 5 lbs of unusable dust and chips all five bags from Firecraft. Charcoal is a hard item to ship. 
    Oh no your order was perfect I was the chosen one that got the only bad bag ever stlcharcoal said so.
  • Kyle919
    Kyle919 Posts: 28
    Options
    To be honest...  I have had 5 bags of rockwood and never had any large pieces.  It burned well but was looking forward to the large chunks.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited June 2015
    Options

I didn't bother to weigh any others but this is the bag I cut down with the unusable dust and chips inside. I cut it down to get the good chunks by hand.

I'm won't place any blame on stlcharcoal. The good sized pieces were nice, a little softer and faster burning then my liking, but good stuff.

• shadowrider
    shadowrider Posts: 108
    Options
    That's No Bueno.

I'll just stick to RO since I have all I want about a block from my house unless I find some RW locally at which time I'll back up the truck.  I'm in Oklahoma so I wouldn't think it would be that hard, but I've never seen it anywhere here.
  • Lit
    Options
    Kyle919 said:
    To be honest...  I have had 5 bags of rockwood and never had any large pieces.  It burned well but was looking forward to the large chunks.
    Not possible all perfect pieces. Even the dust burns at the perfect temperature you are desiring.

I didn't bother to weigh any others but this is the bag I cut down with the unusable dust and chips inside. I cut it down to get the good chunks by hand.

I'm won't place any blame on stlcharcoal. The good sized pieces were nice, a little softer and faster burning then my liking, but good stuff.

The scale must be off.

i am pretty sure the picture from the OP all that dust is photoshopped in. That or he sat there with a very fine pen and made a charcoal stipple design. 

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Just file a claim with FedX....certainly not a Rockwood issue.   
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Lit said:
    What sucked the most when mine came like that is I had $40 worth of lump but $60 worth of rubs and the rubs were in a box that looked like that. 
    Your issue is with the carrier and not Rockwood.   Your rant about this is becoming tiresome.  Since this is my issue, I will do my best to ignore  going forward.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Lit
    Options
    My issue was how stlcharcoal made it seem like I was the only one he had ever heard of getting a bad bag even though posts just like this happen all the time. I have stated in multiple threads it was most likely the shipping that caused it but it really pissed me off his posts lately. If you order Rockwood from firecraft you have a decent chance of getting the exact same crap the OP got here but he made it sound like it has never happened. This right here is redemption though I wasn't just complaining I had this same crap happen and then the supplier isn't sympathetic at all instead he writes me off and pretty much says why are you still bitching about that. That right there is great customer service. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I agree with Ron. Why would Firecraft put 80lbs in one box and 20 in the other? You're gonna piss off a lot of delivery drivers with 80lbs in a bulky cardboard box. You ever try to carry 4 bags of charcoal at once? Also, surely Firecraft could bag/box the other items to protect them. That's just laziness on Firecraft's part. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    RRP said:
    Why is it that no body is addressing the 800 pound gorilla in this thread? Seems to me Firecraft is doing a crappy job of securing their shipments! Especially when people are saying their packages of rubs and other contents are also coated in lump dust. Granted shipping and bad handling is a culprit here, but if an entire order is merely dumped in a large box and shipped it's no wonder! But Firecraft is equally to blame IMO.
    Firecraft seems to be putting in the amount of care one might expect from a free service.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Ordering from Firecraft is hit or miss depending on your location. I had the same results to FL previously and thats the way they do it, 4 bags in one box and one in another. Rubs thrown in the big box with some bubble wrap around the couple jars of Blues Hog I got.
    Its not a Rockwood thing. I buy 200 lbs a pop locally now and the lump is large chunks and bags are clean.  Others get great delivery but FC isnt packing the boxes to help with the shipping issues.
    Jacksonville FL