Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

All kidding and razzing aside what do you have against Royal Oak?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Like Obama said, "If you like your lump charcoal brand, you'll be able to keep your lump charcoal brand"

um, except for you OO fans.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    Because of this thread, and yes I'm blaming you all, I bought two bags of Royal Oak on sale, $0.70/lb.

They might as well rename it Royal Smoke. I've been using better lump for so long, I'd forgotten how inferior this stuff really is.

This is a picture during warm up, about 150f dome:

How long did it take to clear up or did it?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    I have no problem with RO/BGE/Naturewood or whatever they label it - cheap and available. I prefer Wicked Good and/or Forrest Lumps when I can find it, but I am not a picky man.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    These days my beef with RO centers around the small overall / average size of the 'lump'.     The bags are ALL perfect looking without wrinkles, even, in the store.
    My first bag of BGE lump was perfect.   My 3 subsequent bags of RO not so much.   I even found a couple chunks of ceramic and have seen some 'under charred' wood go by.