Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No Aluminum in MY grill

Options
Or at least using it to keep the Plate Setter from getting drips on it.
I recently did a pizza and the plate setter MUST have been glowing.  The firebox and the side of the plate setter exposed TO the fire were bleached back to original ceramic color.  They looked NEW.

Now, Aluminum melts at 1220f = 660c which I doubt an egg can reach.  Maybe?  But aluminum will 'migrate' at very high temps into stuff.   We would anneal aluminum  / silicon alloys in semiconductors at 450c or less.  

I just might be being paranoid, I'll admit that's possible, but I don't want Aluminum in my diet at all.   

I wonder if a PYREX flat pan could be used as a DRIP PAN?   Will pyrex take it?   Crack or worse?

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Pyrex will not take those temps. It's rated only for around 500 +/-
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I typically only use Aluminum for low-temp cooks and even then, it is raised above the PS  on risers in a drip pan. There is no conduction since the foil is not touching the PS and it is shaded from radiation due to the PS. Otherwise, I'll have in on the grid, where it's even further away from the heat source.

People generally ingest small amounts on a daily basis. It is excreted through stool and urine if it's in the bloodstream. It isn't stored like Mercury.

You can always get a stainless steel pan to use. Ceramic Grill Store sells one or you can find a steel pizza pan at a variety of stores.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    In addition, I don't see the point of using AF with the PS for a high-heat cook like pizza since I'm using a pizza stone - no drips.
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hmmmmm.....good point....aluminum is very unhealthy. ..been directly connected to alzheimers 

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Pyrex will not take those temps. It's rated only for around 500 +/-
    Is CI the best alternative to Pyrex for say a baked haddock or casserole?
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I only use aluminum on low and slow cooks, I figure the higher temp cooks burn the mess off.
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Options
    Not a known health issue. Even the Alzheimer's Association says so:
    http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_myths_about_alzheimers.asp

Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    IF   Big IF, it gets hot enough to vaporize the Al, it's not going to go out the chimney, but rather condense on the cooler things.   Bad JU JU.

I'll look for some CI for a drip pan and try to source some CERAMIC for risers / standoff.  

Maybe PYREX on risers?? since yes, the PS will exceed 500f EASILY.  

I suspect that ceramic, like the Silicon Wafers I'm used to will actually become TRANSPARENT to Infrared (the hot waves, if you will) at some very high temp. This is why I think that when I'm going for it, making pizza the pizza stone eventually gets TOO hot and can burn the bottom of the crust.  I will, or rather, would LIKE to put my SMALL pizza stone in between the PS and the cooking stone.  Air in between each will keep them cooler.   Maybe I'll try to find some .060 Stainless wire or maybe some ceramic standoffs.  

Good input so far, thanks:
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    My egg wrapped to 400 one time.  Aluminum might melt at that temp. I use pans for low and slows. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    I put plate setter legs up with grate on that, pizza stone on grate. Plenty of air gap. 
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    An egg won't do 1200°? :rofl: 

Photo of Fishlessman's 1200° afterburner. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Begger
    Options
    Wow!   I'd love to take an IR thermometer to THAT blast!   No telling how hot it actually is running.   
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Best bet is to let the platesetter go commando. Anything that gets on it will vaporize at these temps. 
  • Justacookin
    Justacookin Posts: 291
    Options
    PYREX will explode know that for a fact into a million very small pieces maybe a trillion small pieces. NO FUN I should start my own stories what not to do on the egg.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Just a question, why would you use Al foil or pans during a pizza cook? Things might drip on a setter during indirect cooks - the temps are lower. The only reason to wrap foil on a setter is to ease in clean up during a low and slow - wrapping during a pizza cook is not required as the pizza stone is between the pie and the setter. Maybe i'm missing something here..... :o
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Got wings on at 450 with my plate setter wrapped - aint skeered  ;)
    Jacksonville FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I always wrap my PS when I'm doing messy cooks for sake of clean up. I never wrap for high temperature pizza cooks though.  Even though I use HD foil even at 400 dome temps I have seen the slags of melted aluminum dripping onto the coals, but honestly it has never bothered me. Since I never see any residual the next morning I assume that minute amount of melted foil is long gone. Are we now to believe that this is a bonafide health hazard?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    RRP said:
    I always wrap my PS when I'm doing messy cooks for sake of clean up. I never wrap for high temperature pizza cooks though.  Even though I use HD foil even at 400 dome temps I have seen the slags of melted aluminum dripping onto the coals, but honestly it has never bothered me. Since I never see any residual the next morning I assume that minute amount of melted foil is long gone. Are we now to believe that this is a bonafide health hazard?
    Aluminum is everywhere in the environment. It is in many of the foods and other items we consume/use. If you use aluminum foil you'll actually absorb some thru your skin just handling the foil.  We all will ingest some and our bodies will eliminate it.

It's not something I worry about.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Begger
    Options
    skiddymarker.
    We are talking the temperature of the fire.   That is pretty much the SAME no matter what.   Big fire makes lots of HEAT.   Small fire, same temp, makes lots LESS heat.   So, I can light my XL in a single place and do a 240 indirect for like 12 hours OR light it in 4 places and get 600f dome temps for pizza.

And yes, whoever said aluminum is sort of a background material is right.  However, that's NO reason to jump out in front of THAT particular bus.   

And ALSO yes, whoever made the self cleaning remark?   Boy, after a single BLAST FURNACE run making pizza, the Bottom of the PS was NEW as was the lower part of the fire box.  BLEACHED, even.